• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Hi - Advice on W124 and W201 needed

Guest kuro

Guest kuro

Hi everyone,

The Story:

All along I have been sharing my dad's 1998 Merc E220. Now my sis has got her license too so we are thinking of getting a 2nd car.

I was thinking of maybe an early 90s 200E as its size/ handling is similar to dad's but sis thinks perhaps a W201 190E or a vintage beetle would be an easier size for her to handle.

My dad heard that the 190E has over-heating problems so he is suggesting an old toyota corona might be more suitable if we want a smaller car. But I am not keen on Japanese cars as I have driven my friend's honda city and the feeling I get its as light as a tin can ..... and I don't relish the idea of been squashed like a coke can in case of an accident.

So my questions are:

1. Is the 190E prone to overheating?

2. Any other problems common in the 190E?

3. I noticed that the 190E is not as common as the 200E so are parts difficult to get?

4. What are the common problems in the W124 200E?

Any forummers who own these 2 models can tell me the likes/dislikes or pros/cons of owning these 2 models?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, first welcome to the club!!

W201 190E has suspension problems, otherwise engine wise is ok not much issue, if you really getting 190E, make sure you get the 2.0L, if possible get the special edition. and when you get it, change the suspension!!

spare parts wise, yup W201 is getting more rarer than the W124

overheating, you can't really say W201 got lots of overheating problems, most of our models all got overheating problems due to the climate..

and where are the W201 guys!! come out and advise this new member!!

Guest angela

I test drove this car b4. It belongs to silvercosworth. Converted into EFi and nice to drive. Silver offered to me at 35k..1st price w/o nego yet. I suspect he sold it like 32k or so. This guy bought from him a couple month and now wanna sell @ profit. Anyway it been converted to auto w/o LTA approval so buy at own risk. Mechanically its sound except interior is tired. Also silver used to track this baby @ PG so...

It feels like a different beast from the 8v, somewhat harsher ride & louder motor esp when u loot it. The american's love this iconic car but If u asked me I rather take a relaxing 8v to drive everyday @ least in sg roads.

Ok back to tread starter questions. I think the 201 parts r easily avail and shares common engine parts with the w124. I nvr had any problems getting parts cos OEM r easily avail in many places. In fact my friend Chris changed almost the whole car to brand new! I kid u not!

As with any classic, u have to change some wear & tear parts. As for overheating this is common problem for the w124 & w201, which can be easily changed by installing an electric fan in place of the inefficient magnetic coupling fan.

As for suspension, I dont think there is any unusual problems except if u have a high mileage car likely is that u wud have to change the shocks which cost u abt $300 for whole set all around or u will to change the bushings.

Personally I drive the 1.8 version and have tested the 2 liter. Yes more power but not much more and not a biggy for city driving. As for the so called Special, I do notice the leather trimmed cars will need more work cos by this time the leather wud have shrunk & need replacement so MBtex is my preference & still looks good. U can save $400 a year in road tax & if u like u can still install 2 liter or 2.3 engine (pls dont quote me hehe).

If u decide to buy, buy a car with receipts & history. That will save u lotsa grief and some money.

I test drove this car b4. It belongs to silvercosworth. Converted into EFi and nice to drive. Silver offered to me at 35k..1st price w/o nego yet. I suspect he sold it like 32k or so. This guy bought from him a couple month and now wanna sell @ profit. Anyway it been converted to auto w/o LTA approval so buy at own risk. Mechanically its sound except interior is tired. Also silver used to track this baby @ PG so...

It feels like a different beast from the 8v, somewhat harsher ride & louder motor esp when u loot it. The american's love this iconic car but If u asked me I rather take a relaxing 8v to drive everyday @ least in sg roads.

Ok back to tread starter questions. I think the 201 parts r easily avail and shares common engine parts with the w124. I nvr had any problems getting parts cos OEM r easily avail in many places. In fact my friend Chris changed almost the whole car to brand new! I kid u not!

As with any classic, u have to change some wear & tear parts. As for overheating this is common problem for the w124 & w201, which can be easily changed by installing an electric fan in place of the inefficient magnetic coupling fan.

As for suspension, I dont think there is any unusual problems except if u have a high mileage car likely is that u wud have to change the shocks which cost u abt $300 for whole set all around or u will to change the bushings.

Personally I drive the 1.8 version and have tested the 2 liter. Yes more power but not much more and not a biggy for city driving. As for the so called Special, I do notice the leather trimmed cars will need more work cos by this time the leather wud have shrunk & need replacement so MBtex is my preference & still looks good. U can save $400 a year in road tax & if u like u can still install 2 liter or 2.3 engine (pls dont quote me hehe).

If u decide to buy, buy a car with receipts & history. That will save u lotsa grief and some money.

finally, a W201 lover has come out...

ZAN, there is more W201 owners looking for you & chris!!!

Guest kuro

keltanky ]

Hi, first welcome to the club!!

W201 190E has suspension problems, otherwise engine wise is ok not much issue, if you really getting 190E, make sure you get the 2.0L, if possible get the special edition. and when you get it, change the suspension!!

spare parts wise, yup W201 is getting more rarer than the W124

overheating, you can' wrote:

thanks for the welcome :D

I saw this ad but ... err ... I don't need a powerful car, just something that will get from A to B.

So I was thinking of maybe taking a look at these 2.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2XtltTK4-1000.html

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-20byXv8i-1220.html

Any tips on what I should be looking out for?

Guest Ronkovic

finally, a W201 lover has come out...

ZAN, there is more W201 owners looking for you & chris!!!

Nice to know that there are some W201ers around! Really looking forward to meet you guys. :)

Was wondering if you guys have lobangs for lowered suspensions (preferably adjustable and can retain comfort) and other handling enhancements such as anti-roll bars, strut bars etc.