• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Engine Transplants/Enhancements/Modifications

g8crasher

I've opened this thread to discuss the possible transplants, enhancements and modifications that can be done to the W124 chassis. Please keep your answers as realistic as possible to keep in line with the topic proper.

It would be helpful if you are familiar with the surgical procedures and the additional parts that need upgrading ie, radiator, brakes, computer, wiring harness etc

Mods will not hesitate to delete ridiculous posts. This is meant to be a resource thread so please keep it clean. Thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best transplant for 8valves will be the M102 230E block... this will improve horsepower to 136bhp and most importantly torque is improved significantly... nothing majar needed to be done and its a direct swap in... most importantly it is so called LTA compliant cos it can't be tell by seeing the engine in ur engine bay. IMHO the best bang for buck u can do in singapore...

As for brake set up i have spoke to a mechanic in sin ming area who sae he can fix in a 4 pot AMG front brake kit to our W124. was quoted for about $1.9K for the whole kit plus installation and inclusive of 2 new brake pipes... saw the set up on his W210 sibei swee... so for bro who looking for BBK for W124 u may wana consider this option... cheap and gd buy...

For other brands like AP and Stoptech was quoted $4K plus - $5K for AP and $3K plus for Stoptech

For road handling i recommend bro driving W124 to stick to stock springs with 1 DOT rating sping pad all round the car... most importantly replace front and rear sway bar/stabilizer bar with E500 type which can be done at ard $700 bux... this setup improves cornering and WILL NOT sacrifice ride comfort... =) as for absorber stick to bilstein OEM replacement(back colour type) or swap to Bilstein heavy duty type(Yellow colour type).... heavy duty type can be ordered through Benzline @ approx $200+ per piece...

bore out to 230 is hard cos the cylinder wall too close liao... onli stroker kit can do the job. or use a M103 230 block and change piston and increase compression will have gain in displacement also sumwere in the range of 2450 like that if i m not wrong...

bore out to 230 is hard cos the cylinder wall too close liao... onli stroker kit can do the job. or use a M103 230 block and change piston and increase compression will have gain in displacement also sumwere in the range of 2450 like that if i m not wrong...

My first W123 was bore to 230 lei, external was w123 parts, internal w124! 2nd w123 was direct! ;)

230 is damn siok, can just makan the prev version 5series! Hee hee.

bore out to 230 risky leh... haha 8 valve still okay i think for 16 valves block ar the cylinder wall too freaking thin... M102 230 with EFI conversion is the way to go... cfm can feel hell lot of difference...

Guest jameslhm

the best transplant for 8valves will be the M102 230E block... this will improve horsepower to 136bhp and most importantly torque is improved significantly... nothing majar needed to be done and its a direct swap in... most importantly it is so called LTA compliant cos it can't be tell by seeing the engine in ur engine bay. IMHO the best bang for buck u can do in singapore...

mike if i wan to change the block is there a trade in wanted to get more power

• 2 weeks later...

So which 4 cyl engine t/plant should you go for ? Here is a chart taken from wikipedia.

2.0 8V I4 105 PS (104 hp/77 kW) 160 N·m (118 lb·ft) 12.6 187 km/h

2.0 8V I4 109 PS (108 hp/80 kW) 170 N·m (125 lb·ft)

2.0 8V I4 118 PS (116 hp/87 kW) 172 N·m (127 lb·ft) 12.0-14.0 175-190 km/h 8.6 L/100 km (33 mpg imp/27 mpg US)

2.3 8V I4 132 PS (130 hp/97 kW) 198 N·m (146 lb·ft) 10.4 204 km/h

2.0 16V I4 136 PS (134 hp/100 kW) 190 N·m (140 lb·ft) 11.5-12.1 183-200 km/h 8.7 L/100 km (32 mpg imp/27 mpg US)

2.3 8V I4 136 PS (134 hp/100 kW) 205 N·m (151 lb·ft) 11.2-13.5 185-200 km/h 9.0 L/100 km (31 mpg imp/26 mpg US)

2.2 16V I4 150 PS (148 hp/110 kW) 210 N·m (155 lb·ft) 10.6-11.1 193-210 km/h 8.8 L/100 km (32 mpg imp/27 mpg US)

for 2.2 16 valves transplant its not a really easy task unless u r getting it as a half-cut with the ecu as well

cos the M111 2.2 is running mas air flow and it has got cam position sensor. so its more practical to just get the block onli and start from there

Tks for the input mike. Missed you on sunday! with regards to the ignition module, I would also think the 16v will use the more expensive ones whereas the 8v ones use the $80 version ?

Looking at the hp torque ratings, They don't really seem to differ that much. What about the 2.3 8V 4cyl ? I've lost touch with local pricing on engine rebuilds. Say a full quality rebuild should cost around $1.5-2k ? Will 3k do the job ?

it really depends on how u wanna rebuild it. i will really suggest if u r really into it the crankshaft will need to be knife-edge balanced and all internals to be replaced. this will cost alot more. most over-haul job is in the range that u mentioned. a head job is also gd. valves to be cut. and skim the head a bit to bring up compression and u will be surprised of wat the 8 valves 230 engine can do

haha miss u as well Leon... was up in KL... clear carbon... haha the 16 valves uses the more expensive module.... it cost me ard 2.6K and the last batch of 8 valves has a more expensive module as well. u can take a look at James 1 his is the last batch 92 model with the ezl selector switch. pre 92 with out the ezl selector uses a much more cheaper module... so wats the number of W124 turn up?

5 to 8 w124

5 to 8 W124 ???

You mean some of the W124 came in half or is a mod 124 look alike ???

Mike, the turn up of W124 was good,in exact is 8's W124. you miss it and they miss you too.....

• 1 month later...

Hi all bros,I'm thinking of doing a project car on the W124 E200.Is it possible to transplant the 2.8 M104 engine to the W124 chasis?I'm not too worried about inspection,just wana know if it fits,my initial aim was to fit the 5.0 V8 M119,but duno if it will fit in.If it can be done,I'am thinking of adding a turbocharger to tune to around 300HP.Any bros here can give some comments.Thanks

The M119 V8 was shoehorned into the 500E but bear in mind that this car was built by Porsche-Mercedes-Benz back in the day. I believe it was fitted with modifications (possibly to the firewall? - I think I read about this somewhere). You'd probably need an uprated transmission, uprated radiator, 500E brake master cylinder, bigger brakes and a change of suspension in order to support the increased weight of the engine. I think it's too much work. Besides, the 500E is now a colectors' model. I doubt you can find a decent half cut to achieve the transplant properly.

Mosselman makes a turbo kit for the 124 series. I can't remember which engine models will suit but you can Google to find out.