• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Newbie here - Any Issue with B170?

mlee

I'm driving a VW car and I'm thinking of switching to MB B170.  As you know, VW has so many well known issue with the gear box.  Looking at some 2nd hand MB B170 at sgcarmart.  Is there any known issue with the B170????  Any advice would be appreciated.

It's too bad, I had it for 5 years. Major repair done

1) replaced air con blower coil ( 3rd year )

2) battery ( 4th years )

3) fuel pump ( last month )

4) replaced cvt oil, brake fluid ( 4th year )

5) replaced tires & rims ( 4th year )

I just booked a GLA200 and planning to sell my B170 next month. Feb 2009 , done 85,000km

If you are interested can PM

My B is coming to 5 years. So far only the aircon spoilt

great to hear that the B170 is reliable.  for power, i see it is only 85.0 kW (113 bhp). Is it under power for such a big vehicle? my VW car (1.4) is 90.0 kW (120 bhp).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

no real problems with the B class ... B200 Turbo with the panoramic roof may be susceptible to some rattlings ... but other than that, the car is good and very reliable. 

thanks for your comments.  for B series, only the B200 has turbo?

I was looking at this :

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=418942&DL=1213

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks. Will go check that out. Cause I think I cannot take the the melting buttons.

There is an audio shop at the T-juntion (Along the stretch of car wash shops) in JB (KSL Mall) that does a good job removing the sticky goo. I am not too sure about the name of the shop though.

Bro it's very easy to clean out the sticky coating. Just try with some perfume. Simple job.

B170 is very easy to maintain. Normal servicing can be done at any ws.

Do consider replacing the Sparks with iridium sparks. Check the forum for resetting.

Thanks for the tip. :-)

I read in this forum that cubic print is another alternative. Does it work well? Is it expensive?

Sorry for all these basic questions. Thanks.

IMHO, dun waste that kind of money on that unless you really irk by the state of the buttons. 

If you are the DIY type, try WD40 or perfume as mentioned by AngChug

• 1 month later...

Think B class is suited for city driving with torque actually higher than comparisons with siniliar bhp cars ... So traffic light green pick up can be faster a bit ... But not like Evo or wrx if that's the kind of performance level you are keen to derive from the B Class I guess

• 2 months later...

1. CVT trans malfunction...

2. expensive labour on changing spark plug for turbo model & mounting. 

3. Component for panoramic lamella roof is very expensive... 

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Hi, guys I am considering a b170 but so far all the ones I see has the steering wheel buttons melted or stick. Is there a place to find replacements?

Is it sticky? i don't think you need to replace. that is a way to remove it...

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

1. CVT trans malfunction...

2. expensive labour on changing spark plug for turbo model & mounting. 

3. Component for panoramic lamella roof is very expensive... 

Hi Techguy, thanks for reply. for CVT malfunction, any idea on the probability? Or confirm will happen?

Turbo cars really more expensive to maintain....

Hi Techguy, thanks for reply. for CVT malfunction, any idea on the probability? Or confirm will happen?

Turbo cars really more expensive to maintain....

At the beginning car will have light jerk and getting worse, eventually warning light "ON". 

Common problem is CVT conductor plate RPM sensor failure.

The best part is you can't just change the conductor plate, what you need is to change complete unit together with valvebody.

The probability for 10 year is 100/100. which mean within ten year this component BAO spoil for at least one time. 

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...