• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W202 - C180 need some TLC on transmission

Guest RTCS

Previously was driving W124 for 10yrs until scrap. I bought this beautiful C180 about 5 months ago. It is a 1994 W202 which I bought directly from owner at a reasonable price.

Of course given the price that I pay, there will need some minor touch up here and there but I was always procrastinating.

Lately the transmission seems to be getting a lot of "lau hong" in the sense that it is difficult to accelerate off from stationary, also if I floor the throttle when cruising, it doesn't want to "kick-down" anymore. There is no slipping of gear engagement but seems more like lost of power (this car by itself is already under powered). If I switch off the air-con, it does improve a bit but still no "kick down"

Last week fetch some friends and very malu because halfway up the multi-storey car-park ram, cannot go up!

Please can give me some advice what's wrong, and estimated cost if you have experience it before. Thanks.

There are also some other minor problems that need attention which I will have to really spend some time on it soon.

1. Change engine mounting

2. Change to leather seats

3. Change to iridium spark plugs

4. Change to ROAR !!!!

5. Change grill

6. Change license plate

7. Change latch for opening bonnet

8. Change 4 tyres

These are some of the things that I have already done.

1. Install amplifier

2. Change instrument cluster (DIY)

3. Repair the air-con control, blower speed (DIY)

4. Some light bulbs (DIY)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately the transmission seems to be getting a lot of "lau hong" in the sense that it is difficult to accelerate off from stationary, also if I floor the throttle when cruising, it doesn't want to "kick-down" anymore. There is no slipping of gear engagement but seems more like lost of power (this car by itself is already under powered). If I switch off the air-con, it does improve a bit but still no "kick down"

Bro you on W or S mode ? Might be your kickdown cable.

Guest khnglh

Have you tired changing the Tranmission fluid and filter ? I believe that will surely help. Not that expensive. I too drive a w202. The tranmission only need to overhauld if its skips gears during driving.

Previously was driving W124 for 10yrs until scrap. I bought this beautiful C180 about 5 months ago. It is a 1994 W202 which I bought directly from owner at a reasonable price.

Of course given the price that I pay, there will need some minor touch up here and there but I was always procrastinating.

Last week fetch some friends and very malu because halfway up the multi-storey car-park ram, cannot go up!

Please can give me some advice what's wrong, and estimated cost if you have experience it before. Thanks.

There are also some other minor problems that need attention which I will have to really spend some time on it soon.

1. Change engine mounting

2. Change to leather seats

3. Change to iridium spark plugs

4. Change to ROAR !!!!

5. Change grill

6. Change license plate

7. Change latch for opening bonnet

8. Change 4 tyres

These are some of the things that I have already done.

1. Install amplifier

2. Change instrument cluster (DIY)

3. Repair the air-con control, blower speed (DIY)

4. Some light bulbs (DIY)

i suspect the transmission cable is not adjusted properly(HIGH PERCENTAGE) or ur kick-down got problem even if the kick-down is a goner u still can get the transimisson to downshift when u step on the acc fully(NOT HITTING THE KICK DOWN BUTTON) when u r in S mode.

No point using Iridium Plugs on M111 engines... just replace with original bosch super plugs... it works best...

wow this forum ROCKs man, post last night only straight away get three advice :clap: :clap: :clap:

my problem has been solved :)

g8crasher, doesn't matter S or E (W), same problem in lost of power and refuse to kick-down.

khnglh, transmission fluid seems ok check already, not sure on the filter though. luckily there was no slip of gears (heng arh....)

Mike, you speaks like my mechanic. He insisted that I change to normal bosch plug.

Well the problem was pinpointed to a misfire on plug 3 caused by an open ignition cable. Again the mechanic insisted on using normal mercs cable which he claims is good enough and no need to waste money unnecessarily. In the process of repair the also noticed some leak in the fuel pressure valve, so I will need to visit him again next few days after buying the parts.

Now the power is restored. Will find some time to work on the rest.