• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Apple TV Installation

Darn happy today, new toy to play with in the car!

I researched online and bought the Apple TV and all the necessary items such as video and power converters myself. Got my usual mechanic (Ah Boon fro AutoSpritze) to install the system for me today. Downtime was roughly 4hrs.

Very useful for those who use Apple products and have an iTunes account. Don't need to install third party aftermarket GPS anymore, just mirror the GPS from the iPhone or iPad.

post-105-0-73637000-1400070061_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-43198800-1400070072_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-29202900-1400070083_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-74101700-1400070088_thumb.jpg

iPhone, iPad, MacBook (AirPlay) mirroring!

post-105-0-78206100-1400070093_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Only for comand?

I believe you can do it with Audio 20 too, don't see why not just that the screen is slightly smaller. Installation should be the same for Comand and Audio 20.

The video cable connects into an aftermarket Video Interface (see pic) which projects images onto the screen. The video and audio cable does not plug directly into the HU. So which ever HU you're on (Comand or Audio 20) shouldn't matter. Anyone who has an aftermarket reverse camera will have a Video Interface in their car.

In theory, the video input from the Apple TV works the same way as the video input from the reverse camera. If you can project the video feed from the reverse camera, why not from the Apple TV?

post-105-0-23953100-1400072038_thumb.jpg

Paiseh, yet to use Apple TV, so what can you do with that connected to your car?

Here you go, info from Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/sg/appletv/

I mainly use it for it's AirPlay mirroring capabilities. I have one in my home and thought it'll be nice to have it in my car as well.

I believe this should be the same for the xiao mi box?

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

I believe this should be the same for the xiao mi box?

Yup should be, same as Kivic One too. I opted for Apple TV as it's an original Apple product.

Welcome to the Apple TV club.

Did u remove the apple power unit and tap direct to a USB 5v power supply?

How did you manage the wifi / internet connection.

I got a power converter from Sim Lim so I have the option to connect and charge other devices.

I connect directly through my iPhone or iPads hotspot, or a mifi I bought specially for the car.

All in, including the power converters, installation, etc. Should be about $600+.

• Like 1

will it work in bmw ? ah bui ask me ask again :lol:

It should I guess. You've to call up the workshop to confirm it.

I got a power converter from Sim Lim so I have the option to connect and charge other devices.

I connect directly through my iPhone or iPads hotspot, or a mifi I bought specially for the car.

I tap direct to a USB 5 V. so did not need power inverter. I assume your converter is producing 230 V. The set can still be used at home thru a USB charger if required.

Had a HDMI to video n audio convertor.

Had mine direct connect to my command system.

My total cost $400/-. I can also use Chromecast if I don't want Apple TV. My experience with KIVIC a bit disappointing as video was not steady.

For info.

I tap direct to a USB 5 V. so did not need power inverter. I assume your converter is producing 230 V. The set can still be used at home thru a USB charger if required.

Had a HDMI to video n audio convertor.

Had mine direct connect to my command system.

My total cost $400/-. I can also use Chromecast if I don't want Apple TV. My experience with KIVIC a bit disappointing as video was not steady.

For info.

I got a 200W converter, it's good enough already. I already had a video interface located in an accessible area so decided to plug there instead of dismantling the Comand HU.

To be honest, I paid about the same as you did all in. Have good relations with my installer, and it was kind of a guniea pig thing. Was trialing different solutions with him. His installation price has since increased!

Didn't even think of aftermarket solutions. I'm all for original if possible rather than aftermarket.

After having it in my car for a day, I'd say, no regrets! Will be an even more awesome entertainment system when in Malaysia for my wife.

holy! apple tv is my daughter's favourite!

Time to pay a visit to you know who!

I got a 200W converter, it's good enough already. I already had a video interface located in an accessible area so decided to plug there instead of dismantling the Comand HU.

To be honest, I paid about the same as you did all in. Have good relations with my installer, and it was kind of a guniea pig thing. Was trialing different solutions with him. His installation price has since increased!

Didn't even think of aftermarket solutions. I'm all for original if possible rather than aftermarket.

After having it in my car for a day, I'd say, no regrets! Will be an even more awesome entertainment system when in Malaysia for my wife.

Likewise.

The video cable connects into an aftermarket Video Interface (see pic) which projects images onto the screen. The video and audio cable does not plug directly into the HU. So which ever HU you're on (Comand or Audio 20) shouldn't matter. Anyone who has an aftermarket reverse camera will have a Video Interface in their car.

attachicon.gifIMG_9969.JPG

bro can PM me the workshop and also the cost of this video interface?

do u still have the reverse cam function after installation?

• Like 1

bro can PM me the workshop and also the cost of this video interface?

do u still have the reverse cam function after installation?

Of course reverse cam still works. You can plug in multiple video devices into the video interface.

• 5 weeks later...