• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Difficulty starting 90'w124 E200

Guest benzw124

Guest benzw124

The car starts normally after long periods of rest, but when I come back from say lunch, the ignition would turn over but just would not catch even after many tries. Many a times, I have to estimate and step on the petrol at the right time so that the engine can catch. Any idea whats wrong with the car? When i first got the car this problem was not there. It only started degrading about 2 months ago. So far i have changed the alternator, exhaust headers and overhauled the engine due to various other reasons but this has not gone away yet. I know this car makes use of many vaccuum systems and it may be a leak somewhere that is causing all this but maybe someone who has the same problem before could chip in. Id be very grateful.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

sorry for your trouble..

You can have a look at the W124 repair blog thread... There is some discussion abt us having similar problems.

If you did an engine overhaul; I guess we can rule out "blown head gasket"?...

Have you checked the idle control valve AND/OR fuel damper?

Mike, Leon, Kelvin? Where are you guys? :P

Guest benzw124

Oh yeah i totally forgot about the infamous ovp relay. Yes i overhauled the engine as the head gasket had been blown and the engine was rather lethargic with a highly irritating chainsaw-like sound at 3000+rpm. I did check out the repair blog but most of the issues with starting there are due to cold starts so im not too sure whether it is the same culprit that is causing this problem. Thanks for you help guys and ill update once I check it out.

Guest mercw124

No problem.

For DIY issues like the OVP relay, you may want to check out Tye Soon at Waterloo Street and get a replacement from there.

Costs about $40, plug and play and give it a try!

Once had an issue with this OVP relay - each time my car cranked up, it died immediately until I had to floor the pedal together with cranking the car. A few tries later it worked and went straight to my mechanic.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest benzw124

Whoops... Sorry guys i totally forgot about this post i made. Okay so i have changed the OVP relay and the starting has become less of a problem. The previous OVP had a burnt out pin. However, it still has difficulty starting and my mechanic said that i would have to change the fuel pump and relay. :( Anyway the ovp was only forty odd bucks from Gallop for those of you who need to change yours.

Guest benzw124

Thanks for the quick response. I doubt its the ignitiong module as the car starts up effortlessly in the mornings. Its only after the car has been parked for an hour or so, then it has difficulty firing up. The starter motor cranks and cranks and cranks but the fuel just doesnt seem to enter the engine so that it can fire. I will look into the ignition module should this repair fail.

I experienced the same symptoms. I had no problem firing up in the morning but after parking the car, it just refused to crank up. So one Sunday afternoon after lunch at Dempsey, I tried to fire up the car. It worked after 2 mins of fiddling around the engine bay and waiting. Just as I drove past PS Cafe, the engine got cut off. Fortunately my usual wkshop is located at Tanglin so the tow wasn't too far off. Paid $75 for the ignition module and voila.. back to life again. :thumbsup:

Guest clarkewan

i faced this problem....

starting the car with some difficulties...

i suspected was something to do with the fuel pressure regulator...

cos when i collected the car, the vacuum hose was not connected to the fuel pressure regulator...

then i itchy finger go and connect it back...

once i did that ....

i faced that problem...

when i put to D or R, the engine will rock and cease....

so i change the fuel pressure regulator...

problem of starting no more....

but the rock when put to D or R still have....

checked and found out was the throttle body which was link to a computer board...

changed that with pain in my wallet...

after that no more problems.....

u may want to check that too....

thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...