• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Bumpy tyre

Guest Cklasse

Guest Cklasse

I went to MBM today to replace my broken door handle and asked them to check my car since the steering was vibrating after 120 km/h. Nothing wrong with the wheel linkage but the tyre surface felt lumpy when rubbed over by hand. I have encountered this problem of tyre surface become bumpy after using for 40k km in my previous car too. Anyone knows what is the cause of this? No wonder the steering vibrates at high speed and ESP came on a couple of times for the last few months.

Sigh....time to change tyre liao. Think will go for CSC2.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kepiting1sg

I went to MBM today to replace my broken door handle and asked them to check my car since the steering was vibrating after 120 km/h. Nothing wrong with the wheel linkage but the tyre surface felt lumpy when rubbed over by hand. I have encountered this problem of tyre surface become bumpy after using for 40k km in my previous car too. Anyone knows what is the cause of this? No wonder the steering vibrates at high speed and ESP came on a couple of times for the last few months.

IMHO 40K km for sport tires is lot of mileage on them.

It's definitely time to change your tires.

Guest millionmilebenz

Hello Cklasse! I also had similar problems with vibrating steering column at high speeds. At first suspected that it was time to do a high-speed balancing, but then it was found to be due to a slightly dented rim. When the car was jacked up and they spun the front wheels, we could see the rim going slightly in and out as it rotates.

Your rims are probably ok. Just wanted to share this for those who may be having the same symptoms (steering shaking at high speed).

Guest kepiting1sg

bro, have it change before our driveaway to malacca. hahahahah

40K km is really kau pun for performance tires.

Your tires are probably hardened and may tend to explode any time.

Becareful and get it change fast!

Not to scare you, it happened to my one of my tire on my Batam Island LandCruiser. Tire exploded while driving at 110km/hr.

Heng! Boh Tai Chi! ;D ;D ;D

dudes are all saying the right thing indeed!!!! CHANGE TYRES MAN!

The last time I remembered handling lumpy tires was way back in NS!!!!!!!

Guest millionmilebenz

By the way guys, what's the most comfortable and quiet tires we can go for? I'm not so much into performance but rather peace and quiet :)

Hee hee... I'm like you. ;D Afterall, my W126 is a cruiser not a racer. I'm planning to do something unheard of in this forum - "downsizing" my rims from 17" to 16". Then I'll pick a 215/55/16 tyres to go with it and I'm also keen to hear suggestions/feedback on yogi's question...

BTW, I've heard from 2 parties already that 17" tend to waver on slightly uneven surfaces. I have noticed that during my driving, but not sure if that really has anything to do with the size of the rims. Can anyone confirm?

Guest CBlack

millionmilebenz ]

By the way guys, what' wrote:

Hee hee... I'm like you. ;D Afterall, my W126 is a cruiser not a racer. I'm planning to do something unheard of in this forum - "downsizing" my rims from 17" to 16". Then I'll pick a 215/55/16 tyres to go with it and I'm also keen to hear suggestions/feedback on yogi's question...

BTW, I've heard from 2 parties already that 17" tend to waver on slightly uneven surfaces. I have noticed that during my driving, but not sure if that really has anything to do with the size of the rims. Can anyone confirm?

you want to consider my advangarde 16" rim?

Guest CBlack

you want to consider my advangarde 16" rim?

u got 16" rim never tell me...

think for millionmilebenz, ur offset, u have to slowly look for the rims...

i didn't know you want mah.

Guest millionmilebenz

Thanks CBlack for offering to sell me your 16". But I dunno whether will fit...

Yeah lor, the offset for W126 a bit troublesome. 16"x7.5" rims will fit, but I think most are 16"x7".

Guest dashy

Hi Cklasse, normal lifespan of a tyre is 2yrs or 40K.

Rubber will harden as time past, usually 2 years cos heat and weather.

40K is the average tread wear.

If you hit 40K, still haven't reach the wear indicator and less than 2 years, still can drive for a while.

If tyre is more than 2 years and tread still not fully wear, advise to change your tyre, don't risk.

Hope this will help.