• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Kivic One a/v streaming to your HU using Airplay

tsktsk

This has potential... from Youtube it looks like we can stream audio video (plus mirroring) via Apple's Airplay to our car's HU, in the below Youtube vid shows a W204 with the prefacelift Comand HU... To hook it to our HU Comand I was told we will need Mercedes Media Interface.

(shows W204)

(shows W212)

http://www.kivic-one.com/

Look like any car can install.

Other resources:

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/493886-kivic-one-you-guys-heard.html

Did a check with a local dealer its 388 w/out installation

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

I've been toying with the idea of integrating an Apple TV unit into my car. Should work like the following system:

Apple TV seems to be the most reliable system in the market to mirror the iPhone and the iPad (it's virtually built for that purpose), and to stream anything from your iTunes account. Don't need to worry if Apple upgrades iOS in future and kills third party mirroring etc. This integration could virtually kill the integrated touchscreen GPS.

An Apple TV retails at $148 in SG, need to purchase a HDMI to RCA converter which should cost below $50. Will need to add a Multimedia Video interface, no idea how much that cost. For those who've got C&C installed reverse camera, or have installed an integrated third party GPS, you'd most probably already have the Multimedia Video Interface installed in your car. Plus installation charges.

Installation should be pretty straight forward for a pro technician, have yet to take the plunge though.

Done.

Need VIM.

KIVIC only mirrors, internet from your own phone line. it has own wifi n u need to use that. Cannot share with other device. Use only USB for power.

Apple TV use wifi but wifi can share with other wifi device. Means u can have a mobile BB and share to 5 or 10 device. Need to have inverter unless u bypass the apple power source with 12 to 3 v convert. Good point is it can go to Apple iTunes, store, movies etc. without using ur phone.

Some input.

bro some one did it on his w204, here's the vid:

That's just Airplay using the Airport Express, not Apple TV. It can't display anything on the screen, only can stream music which the bluetooth or MMI system in the car already does.

Done.

Need VIM.

KIVIC only mirrors, internet from your own phone line. it has own wifi n u need to use that. Cannot share with other device. Use only USB for power.

Apple TV use wifi but wifi can share with other wifi device. Means u can have a mobile BB and share to 5 or 10 device. Need to have inverter unless u bypass the apple power source with 12 to 3 v convert. Good point is it can go to Apple iTunes, store, movies etc. without using ur phone.

Some input.

The way I see it, Apple TV has more cons. Upfront purchasing of the necessary parts seems cheaper compared to KIVIC too. Converting the power source shouldn't be a big issue too since there are tons of converters in the market. Like I said, shouldn't be an issue for a professional technician to install within half a day.

Apple TV can't support andriod , from what I check kivic one can support andriod as well

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Apple TV can't support Andriod , from what I check kivic one can support andriod as well

There are multiple mobile platforms in the market, it's hard to find a module that will work with all of them seamlessly. Just go for the one that'll support your mobile device best. I've been using iPhone since the first generation came out, therefore it'll be the Apple TV for me. Personally, I also find the UI for the Apple TV much more appealing to Kivic. Anyway, thread was started on Apple's Airplay.

I can currently "stream" my iphone music to my HU already using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable but its rather messy, so a wireless option is great.

furthermore, my BT is already paired to my HU's telephony service, i believe i cannot re-pair it concurrently with another device so using Wifi to connect to this Kivic solves these problems ;)

i am not very techie so i may be wrong, in any case, a discount with group buy is always good :)

I can currently "stream" my iphone music to my HU already using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable but its rather messy, so a wireless option is great.

furthermore, my BT is already paired to my HU's telephony service, i believe i cannot re-pair it concurrently with another device so using Wifi to connect to this Kivic solves these problems ;)

i am not very techie so i may be wrong, in any case, a discount with group buy is always good :)

Actually with most modern phones, it is possible to connect to multiple bluetooth devices as long as the bluetooth profile used is different, and that’s what I’m currently doing on my W204.

For example, my phone is connected to the car’s bluetooth telephony service using the Hands-Free Profile, also known as Phone Audio on Android devices. At the same time, it is connected to the Bluetooth audio receiver using the A2DP (Advance Audio Distribution Profile), also known as Media Audio on Android devices. All I need to do is to select the correct profile for the bluetooth devices on my Android phone. An example screenshot of how the settings can be toggled is attached. I believe a similar setup is possible on iOS devices (might not be true).

post-1355-0-18400300-1393899730_thumb.png

I'm using the following setup, slightly indirect because I already own the 30pin bluetooth receiver, so all I needed was to get another cable to connect it to the 3.5mm port and provide power to it.

The items I'm using are similar but not the same as the ones below. Didn't post the exact bluetooth receiver because it's already discontinued and no longer sold.

Bluetooth Receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Sounddock-Speaker/dp/B0094G44PS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8

3.5mm cable with USB power: http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-30pin-Cable-Iphone/dp/B00490OVM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Alternatively, you can get one of these for an all in one setup.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Remote-Stereo-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00170KUM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-Streaming-Receiver-Adapter/dp/B008AGQMQC/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_y

My car came with audio 20 and Bluetooth , been using with my iPhone 4S Bluetooth audio and handsfree , iPhone 5s also no issue

Kivic or Apple TV serves more than just streaming audio wirelessly. They are still video capable. To install it and only use to stream audio seems a bit of a waste.

I'm also able to stream my audio through my iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S via Bluetooth with the telephony function running concurrently.

But if we would want to stream videos , use our mobile gps and such other app we need this upgrade

to stream video or mirror, u will need the mercedes media interface first, i.e. UCI. for OEM support, in the first youtube vid, u can read the comments and the vid owner will explain a little more. So for existing UCI owner with Audio 20 and Comand, it may just work. 

based on what i found from youtube, the supplied RCA cables should plug and play directly with the installed UCI. But the UCI is expensive.

I honestly would not mind just getting the kivic one box for audio streaming for now, but that's just me.

I will open the GB until end of Mar'14. 

I think the mercedes media interface plus would be able to play video as well

BTW, for iphone BT pairing, based on my limited knowledge, it can only pair it to one device, for Audio 20 or Comand that can do telephony and audio streaming, it is still just one device. But if you do not have Audio 20 or Comand that can receive BT audio streaming then Kivic does offer an alternative.

But of course the cheapest option would just be to get a 3.5mm-3.5mm audio cable :)