• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W126 vs W140

Guest gp

Just want to find out from all of you your opinions regarding W126 300 SEL Classic vs W140 300 SEL. The prices of these have come down some what with the high petrol prices. May be thinking of getting one to toy with. From what I gather, the W126 has less electronic parts to deal with and the body is not so brick like. As for the W140, there are more innovations naturally because it is a newer model. The electronics however when go awry may be difficult and expensive to repair.. For those who own these models please kindly share your thoughts. I value all your inputs.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W126 is definitely less problematic in the electronics department.

With the W140, I would estimate one would have to spend at least a good couple of grand to get the electronics sorted out. The vacuum suction doors generally hold up okay. The problematic bits include the rear view mirror with built in demister, electronic air conditioning unit. Pre '96 units have been known to suffer from the dreaded wiring harness degradation. In short, get anything between '97-'99 if you can help it.

The drive - Quite different to punt around town. The W126 offers a slightly higher driving position and feels longer whereas the W140 feels wider. The W126 has a livelier feel to the steering. Both are an absolute pain in the ass to manouever especially in tight and narrow spaces.As a passenger, the W140 edges out the W126 with plush ride comfort.

There is very little love lost between the W126 and W140. Both are instant classics. I think the W140s build quality slightly edges out the W126s - millionmilebenz might disagree hehehe - but I guess this stems from the fact that I'm a W124/W140 fanboy and happen to think that the W140 is still the quintessential luxury car that every other marque's flagship models should use as a benchmark bar Rolls Royce & Bentley.

If I were to get one, I'd probably go for a black '98/99 S320 with the darkest legally available tint, lowered on 20" wheels with a Wald kit, blacked out front grill and a flat hood badge :thumbsup:

Thanks bro for your input.

Will probably take my time to look for a good conditioned W126 300SEL Classic since a good example of 97 W140 would still be expensive. Meantime. continue to drive my faithful W124 and E30 :)

I wish you all the very best in your search for a nice W126. Would be a great project to undertake!

I think you may have come across this ad for a W126 coupe. Lovely car exuding timeless elegance not to mention V8 power too.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2EWM245m-1000.html

380 SEC is overkill for me. The road tax is definitely a killer and with the petrol prices sky high, it is a double whammy!

Will take my time to hunt down a good example of W126 300SEL Classic. Thanks for the valuable input guys. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest millionmilebenz

380 SEC is overkill for me. The road tax is definitely a killer and with the petrol prices sky high, it is a double whammy!

Will take my time to hunt down a good example of W126 300SEL Classic. Thanks for the valuable input guys. :)

Hi gp! Any luck so far looking for a W126 Classic?

Cheers!

Guest millionmilebenz

hmmm you get hold of MMB's Classic, so he can go for his dream!!, 380 SEC!!! :censored:

Hahaha! Kelvin, you read my mind, heh heh heh.... :devil2:

Just kidding lah. I love my W126 and I intend never to let go. Sorry gp! :la: Wish you best of luck! :thumbsup:

hey gp, the W124 coupes are a little too overpriced I reckon! I think one of them was an '89 with something like 300,000kms and a couple of owners - sounds like a recipe for plenty of work and $$$ to throw at.

I love the W124 coupes as well but I just think they're a little heavy on the tax side of things. My personal choice for a resto/mod project (124 vs 140) would be a '98 W140. To really get the car up to scratch would cost a good $30-40k (paint, interior, electronics, rims and other bits) on top of the $65k ish outlay for the car. Considering the car cost $320k new 10 years ago and the car you get for the $$, done deal hehehe

That's one helluva nice E30 cabrio you have there! Extremely fun cars to drive the E30!! :) Nimble and great for keepsakes!!! Did you spend alot restoring that car ?

Yes it is a fun car to drive. The 2.5 engine is a blast. Spent an equivalent of a small nation GDP to do up the car :)

The car was laid up for a full year before I took over last October. It was in a sorry state.

It went through quite a few specialty shops doing up the engine, belts, hoses, radiator etc

New aircon, softtop, paintjob etc..It was supposed to be a Christmas present for my wife, but she prefers her Subaru Forester ;)