• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

White Van Sales - Home Theatre system

Guest dash

Hey guys,

Ever heard of or met these white van salesmen selling home theatres before?

Well, my missus met them this afternoon in a crowded carpark in AMK.

They approached her and tried to sell her a set of 5.1 home theatre system Glastten Audio.

They claimed it was made in UK and is selling for US1400 per set.

Due to 'overstocking' by the factory, the delivery guy and his accomplice wanted to dispose of the sound system to my missus for $500.(they were neatly dressed in uniform,they carried official receipts and had logos on their van to boot!)

my missus was impressed and called me to ask if i wanted to buy it. (we are currently shopping for a home threatre)

I said a flat no as i remembered reading in some car forums that this was a scam.

I thought it was the end of it but they kept pressuring my missus to pick it after she put down the phone with me, saying it was a deal of a lifetime, very good sound quality and got warranty somemore.

My missus called again and said they offered to sell it at $250....wow, half price dicount now!!

Well, i ran a check on the internet and found out that there are some ebay sellers selling it brand new for S$200!!!

I was convinced it was a scam...too good to be true, i told my missus that its available on internet brand new for $200 and reinforced in her mind not to buy.

When i dropped the line, they were still trying to haggle with my missus for another 10 mins!

My missus called again and this time i I told her to offer them $50, take it or leave it.

well, they eventually gave up and left.

luckily she never fall for their hard sell and convincing tactics. if not we would've paid money for some white elephant.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alamak.... This scam had been around for ages already....

some say extra loaded from store, some boss ran away without paying them salary....

Not only white Van, many others around.....

Sorry if i offend anyone, The greed will fall into it, So lucky Desmond you are not the greed type if not that's it, another victim....

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

some say extra loaded from store, some boss ran away without paying them salary....

Sorry if i offend anyone, The greed will fall into it, So lucky Desmond you are not the greed type if not that's it, another victim....

9339, remember that day i came to your shop to pick up the amps/speakers? They approach me in the car park,

asking me "bro, wanna buy hi fi system selling very cheap?". I immediately smile at them & at the same time my eyes were looking at their vehicle number & company name. Saw that their van was a rented vehicle. They notice my eyes were 'searching around'...immediately drove off before i can say anything to them. Dash, you still got the contact number?

Guest sy69u

fruitcakepablohoney ]

Sorry if i offend anyone, The greed will fall into it, So lucky Desmond you are not the greed type if not that' wrote:

9339, remember that day i came to your shop to pick up the amps/speakers? They approach me in the car park,

asking me "bro, wanna buy hi fi system selling very cheap?". I immediately smile at them & at the same time my eyes were looking at their vehicle number & company name. Saw that their van was a rented vehicle. They notice my eyes were 'searching around'...immediately drove off before i can say anything to them. Dash, you still got the contact number?

bro, y u need their phone number???? u 1 2 buy from them???? hehehe. or u 'undercover'.......???

lemme check with my missus....i think she mentioned the gave her a number to call.

ya, u are right randy, most con man uses greed of the comman people to cheat and lie their way to get money.

but anyway, if they really took my counter offer of $50, i actually dun mind getting the 5.1 speakers. :tazzie:

anyway, found this website

http://www.glattenaudio.com/

I encountered such thing happened to me few years back & even once was few mths back... I just told them I hate sound systems.. hate listening to music (but actually I love it so much :yumyum:)

They just lan lan & look for next target!!

Guest four_eggs

they were in suntec carpark last wk and approached my wife too. they are everywhere now.

regards, four_eggs

Hey guys,

They approached her and tried to sell her a set of 5.1 home theatre system Glastten Audio.

Due to 'overstocking' by the factory, the delivery guy and his accomplice wanted to dispose of the sound system to my missus for $500.(they were neatly dressed in uniform,they carried official receipts and had logos on their van to boot!)

my missus was impressed and called me to ask if i wanted to buy it. (we are currently shopping for a home threatre)

I said a flat no as i remembered reading in some car forums that this was a scam.

I thought it was the end of it but they kept pressuring my missus to pick it after she put down the phone with me, saying it was a deal of a lifetime, very good sound quality and got warranty somemore.

My missus called again and said they offered to sell it at $250....wow, half price dicount now!!

Well, i ran a check on the internet and found out that there are some ebay sellers selling it brand new for S$200!!!

I was convinced it was a scam...too good to be true, i told my missus that its available on internet brand new for $200 and reinforced in her mind not to buy.

When i dropped the line, they were still trying to haggle with my missus for another 10 mins!

My missus called again and this time i I told her to offer them $50, take it or leave it.

well, they eventually gave up and left.

luckily she never fall for their hard sell and convincing tactics. if not we would've paid money for some white elephant.

Guest four_eggs

well, if you are greedy, you will fall into their trap". out of 10 or 100 they approached, they just hope that one is greedy and enter into their trap.

they should be called a "Consultant" i.e.

1. they will convince you to buy; if not

2. they will confuse you to buy: if not

3. they will con you to buy.

four_eggs

Nigerian $$ scam 20 yrs plus already but still pple fall for it......same for van hifi.... :bboyspin:

well, if you are greedy, you will fall into their trap". out of 10 or 100 they approached, they just hope that one is greedy and enter into their trap.

they should be called a "Consultant" i.e.

1. they will convince you to buy; if not

2. they will confuse you to buy: if not

3. they will con you to buy.

four_eggs

sounds like shops in sim lim... hahahaha

Guest flower

four_eggs ]

they were in suntec carpark last wk and approached my wife too. they are everywhere now.

regards, four_eggs

Hey guys,

Due to ' wrote:

oh...oh....oh......I kana too at bishan junction 8 carpark. i offered them $100, take it of leave it. the home theatre system r quite a huge set.

lucky..... i didn't fall for it.