• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Strange Behaviour when starting

Guest pchan7

Guest pchan7

Just got my C180 yesterday. I have noticed a strange phenomenon.

Upon turning the key and starting the car, it takes 3-4 seconds for the engine to get fired up and the needle move from O to idling speed. In other word, it seem to hesitate before engine kicks in.

Very strange as cars should rev up to idling speed instantaneously upon cranking.

This is my second Merc in one year - the previous B170 had stalling problems even when new. Very suay!!

Have any C class owners this behaviour?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest angela

My Mum's one week old C180 also had similar problems. If the rest do not have such issues, maybe we should go down C&C and bang table. Let me know if you are keen bro.

Guest pchan7

I am conducting an experiment to get the car to start "normally".

What I do is to insert the key, turn it one two slots but do not crank the engine. I wait for all the displays to come and go and after about 30 seconds, I start the engine.

I notice that if I practise this way, the needle shoot up immediately and settle on the idling mode.

I will continue to monitor if this does the trick - please report your experience.

I may also report this issue to MB when I am back from holiday after National Day. At least we need to know why!

Guest angela

Already sent the car in. SA claims that fuel pump could be weak. Will know the results tomorrow after they run some diagnostic tests. Will update this thread again after that. Cheers...

Guest pchan7

That was what the said about my previous B170. Ended up causing more problem and finally they had to replace the whole fuel tank system in a brand-new car because the seal wasn't fixed securely.

You can tell my story to your SE when you collect your car.

Guest pchan7

Hi teojjsg,

Suggest you print out this message thread and bring along to service center.

I also wish to report that if I turn the ignition key one, two turns without cranking the engine, the needles for the fuel and temperature displays also seem to "hesitate" before moving up. But anyway, at least the idling needle goes right up after the third turn of the key.

I'm away tonite...please keep me informed of what happened to your poor Benz!

Guest angela

Hi teojjsg,

Suggest you print out this message thread and bring along to service center.

I also wish to report that if I turn the ignition key one, two turns without cranking the engine, the needles for the fuel and temperature displays also seem to "hesitate" before moving up. But anyway, at least the idling needle goes right up after the third turn of the key.

I'm away tonite...please keep me informed of what happened to your poor Benz!

Collected my car and the problem still exists. They changed 2 new relays but that did not solve the problem. Added new problem to my ride though. Some sticky sponge fell out of the console area and dirtied both my brake and accelarator pedals. Very difficult to remove cleanly as the substance is damn sticky. Going back tomorrow to give them hell.

Guest Raskie

Going back tomorrow to give them hell.

Hi, give them a chance to rectify the problem .. maybe it's not as bad as you think ... unless they offer you sub-standard service, then consider more heavy-handed action lor ...

Guest pchan7

Precisely why I hesitate to go to MB with my new car!

Anyway, if I exercise patience and don't crank up the engine until I wait for a while, then the starting seem ok. Only I find it strange as my cheapest Jap car came to life the moment I turn the key! Why a Benz?

I know you're frustrated...I have gone through the agony before, many times.

Guest angela

The car is back in Pandan Loop. Cannot imagine a 2 weeks old car spending 30% of the time in the workshop. It's always 'heartache' for the owner when workshop have to change any parts/operate on a brand new car. Not to mention that changing the relays did not address the issue. Furthermore, some sticky sponge dropped out of the console for no reason.

I am a fussy owner in the first place and this incident is p#ssing me off... Anyway, they better do a proper job this time round. The fact is, the loan car given to me (same C180 series) starts normally. Thus I feel they must definitely address this issue for me. Such incidents definitely spoils the experience of owning a brand new car. And such experience (owning a new car) comes with a hefty price tag of $136K, so I feel I have the right to screw them up a bit.

Anyway, I hope to have a result by end this week. Funny thing is, a few of my lawyer friends from Raj&Tan that I spoke to, advised me that it's near impossible to get C&C to give me another new car. Instead, I should just get C&C to throw in a few free accessories and rest the issue. Engaging my friends to push for a new car will just generate some bad publicity for C&C and waste my money. Will see how C&C get back to me and if they try to play 'Tai-Ji' with me, will seriously consider wasting some of my time and money to generate some bad pubilicity for them.

pchan7, if C&C is able to solve the problem for me, I will post here to let you know. You might then consider asking them to rectify for you.

Guest pchan7

I can imagine how you feel. This was what happened to me with a brand new B170 since September 2008 and the problem surfaced again! So I got rid of the car and got a C180.

I thought problem solved but I am very very scared to bring my car to C&C least it ended up like yours!

Do let us know what happen to your car.

Good luck.

My 2cents of tots, buying a new car be it a Merc, Jap's or Korean...

Is like buying 4D, some heng always kana, some buy for life, never kana but still buying. Be it a NEW or USED, Heng/ Suay matter.

Driving habits stands a very high % of car condition.

Is like buying 4D, some heng always kana, some buy for life, never kana but still buying. Be it a NEW or USED, Heng/ Suay matter.

101% agreed. sxxt happens.

mechanical/electronic parts can't achieve 100% defect-free 100% of the time.

some are manufactured with defects, some have shorter than norm lifetime,

some are defective through bad design, etc.

depends on your luck, so take it easy.

if you suay suay kenna 1 in million defect, maybe you'll lucky lucky kenna 1 in 10 million TOTO! :clap:

Guest angela

101% agreed. sxxt happens.

mechanical/electronic parts can't achieve 100% defect-free 100% of the time.

some are manufactured with defects, some have shorter than norm lifetime,

some are defective through bad design, etc.

depends on your luck, so take it easy.

if you suay suay kenna 1 in million defect, maybe you'll lucky lucky 1 in 10 million TOTO! :clap:

Ha Ha Ha... I like the final part of your last sentence. Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Guest angela

Much better after they changed three injectors and a valve. However, still faced longer than usual cranking on 2 occasions. At least now the problem does not occur during every startup. Also, the whole car feels much smoother in terms of acceleration. Sending my car in next Tuesday again. This time round, I got a guy from Daimler to pop by C&C to give the car a thorough check.

Guest Jarebbsg

going to collect my C200 next week.....hopefully mine is free from those bugs teojjsg reported....i cannot tolerate factory faults. QC for a Benz brand is very important.......

Guest Archer

Much better after they changed three injectors and a valve. However, still faced longer than usual cranking on 2 occasions. At least now the problem does not occur during every startup. Also, the whole car feels much smoother in terms of acceleration. Sending my car in next Tuesday again. This time round, I got a guy from Daimler to pop by C&C to give the car a thorough check.

Sorry to hear abt ur problem. I know exactly wat u mean abt paying a permium and then expecting premium service. I share the same sentiments as you do. I pratically had to make a big fuss abt a small problem with my car the other time too. I find these issues very unproductive. Do keep us posted on the outcome of ur car. btw what do u mean by u got a guy from Daimler to hv a look at ur car?

Guest jenvid

Kinda weird that Merc took 6 yrs to thoroughly develop the w204 to ensure it is at its best. Hmm maybe focus so much abt the car they oversight on the engine & stuff cuz it is still the M271 block.

Or maybe they were focusing on the LHD version.

Having own a Merc for a while, I have develop the habit of whining at the slightest fault in the car. Compile them all up & send it in to them to rectify on a regular basis. Apparently this is a common trait not that I am encouraging it. But I believe if you wish your ride to last, you may have to learn to make the most out of the warranty. C&C has no heartfeeling for repairs, they are claimed against Daimler if I am not wrong.

My C was somewhat a lemon, my E is a qtr of a lemon. Merc's reliability is on its way up but still have quite a way more....