• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W204- Fuel Grade C200

Guest W204

Hi folks,

I know i will get slaughtered for asking a stupid question but what is the recommended fuel grade for c200. The manual says 95. However, when I pump with Shell 95, I tend to hear my engine knocking in an event I accelerate hard. So, i decided to switch with Shell 98, and surprisingly the knocking is gone plus the engine seems smoother now. Apart from the octane level, is there a significant difference in other companies petrol say Esso or Caltex? Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated as this is my first benz car. Thanks folks :pray:

Strange. I had use of a courtesy car some weeks ago and pumped Shell 95. Gave it a good hammering but didn't experience any knocking effect at all whatsoever.

Guest morganoh

Strange. I had use of a courtesy car some weeks ago and pumped Shell 95. Gave it a good hammering but didn't experience any knocking effect at all whatsoever.

I pump all my cars with 95 all my life....

:la:(as if I'm very old and experience.) :la:

:yumyum:(my life with car is only 7years ) :yumyum:

and no problem, but my cars are below 2500cc... maybe for higher than 3000cc car will make a diff with 95 and 98

Guest m1122

Mine is C180 and I've used 95 and 98 ron both dont have knocking effect. But acceleration seems smoother when using 98. Previous ride was W203 C200 and use 95 or 98 no difference in acceleration.

not so sure of your engine timing/tuning,

i remembered some mech told me, that if use different octane level must tune differently..

any difference really can't feel the difference, except when that time caltex got 100 octane for a short period, used to pump 95, so tried 100, got slight better acceleration, maybe just mindset??

any difference btwn brands, also i feel no difference lei.. nw stick to 2 brands due to discounts :devil2: :devil2:

oh remember that somewhere got theory of testing petrol using different cars and different octane level..

Guest hwong

My ride is C180.

I have used Shell 95, Shell 98 and Shell V-Power.

For 95, I experienced near knocking feeling.

So I move up to 98 and V-Power for feel.

I am comfortable with 98 now.

For fuel efficiency, I have not experienced any substantial difference.

Distance travelled for me an average 400 km, fuel guage needle will be slightly under the horizontal half mark.

My ride is C180.

I have used Shell 95, Shell 98 and Shell V-Power.

For 95, I experienced near knocking feeling.

So I move up to 98 and V-Power for feel.

I am comfortable with 98 now.

For fuel efficiency, I have not experienced any substantial difference.

Distance travelled for me an average 400 km, fuel guage needle will be slightly under the horizontal half mark.

I was previously on 98 which give me 400km +- , after i pump V power, although it more expensive, but it give me 440+- now, so is more or less the same price but with a smoother and more power ride.

Guest kopimonster

personally, i find a big difference when using 95 and 98. 95 seems to give me way less power and i have to step on the accelerator real hard before i get anything out of the car, 98 on the other hand, enables the car to be much more responsive. i have the same experience on both NA and TC cars.

• Like 1

Guest Franc

now that 9339 mentioned about V power, i thought i was wrong about it the other time. When i switched from VPower to 98, the millage seems to go down from 430 avg to 400 avg... any body else can verify this?

Maybe it is due to the driving style.

now that 9339 mentioned about V power, i thought i was wrong about it the other time. When i switched from VPower to 98, the millage seems to go down from 430 avg to 400 avg... any body else can verify this?

Maybe it is due to the driving style.

I strongly think that is the grade that give diff in mileage.

thanks guys for your sincere comments. My concern is that the squeaking noise or rattling noise comes from the engine when i accelerate hard. It sounds as if something is loose or malfunction. Just wondering how many of you hear noises when you accelerate, try to turn off the radio.

Guest m1122

thanks guys for your sincere comments. My concern is that the squeaking noise or rattling noise comes from the engine when i accelerate hard. It sounds as if something is loose or malfunction. Just wondering how many of you hear noises when you accelerate, try to turn off the radio.

If it is a soft rattling noise under hard acceleration could be autobox as I had the same thing with my W203 C200. Better send to CnC to check it.....if after warranty it could be costly. This one nothing to do with petrol grade.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jarebbsg

Franc, i experience the same, Vpower gives better milage and smoother start-offs. i always pump vpower till my company change corp card....now with Exxon...better discount :3some: ...money still a deep consideration for me