• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

AV Setup Inquiry

Bro Jenvid you mentioned last time about the AV receiver Onkyo 905 with REON upscaler. Any inkling how much it will cost ?

Came across the Gefen upscaler which can accept 2 component inputs, 2 HDMI and upscale to 1080p. I suppose this might do a similar overkill job as compared to the Onkyo but w/o the amplification and THX 7.1 functions ?

Drafting up the list now and I think will most likely go with your recommended setup

- Hubstation

- AV receiver with upscaler / standalone upscaler

- Plasma (likely Panasonic)

I'm not thinking of adding speakers just yet, just want clear pictures for the upcoming EPL season.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jenvid

bro... I dont read/eat/sleep on AV stuff lah... do research once at that pt of time and chuck everything else aside cuz it will be a never ending h/w comparison.

The Onkyo 905 comes with audio grade transformer & caps. If you do not need that then the 875 will suffice.

If you only need decent upscaler then the 805/825 which uses the Farouja (spelling?) upscaler.

Actually for me right now, I use the Plasma to upscale rather than the AV amp cuz the bloody chip runs hot (48~55 degC), so my amp just behave as a transport because I keep the darn thing in an enclosed tv console. So I have to keep everything running cool. I use the Philips Pronto TSU9600 together with the RFX9600 to control my TV,AMP,Hubstation,PS3,PS2,MacMini, AV power generator, lights,blinds & aircon.

haha.. just added another poison to your list...

Wah ok thanks for the information bro. Mmmm.. poison indeed!!

Wah din know the REON runs at that temperature!! I went to some other sites to read up and apparently when it runs hot, there are sync issues with speech and visuals. Some pple also mentioned that the PS3's upscaling capabilities when running blu ray are almost on par with REONs. Maybe should rip open the 905, install a better heatsink and cooler hehehe

True. I won't need the audio grade t/fmer and caps in the 905. In fact I won't even need THX 7.1. Wife will not like a whole bunch of wires. I also damn sian of wiring up so many speakers... not till I can afford a literal home theatre room! Time to research some more. Thanks for the lead information.

BTW since you got the PS3, which version did you get (20/60/80GB) ? Read somewhere that the 80GB not really backward compatible (no E-Motion engine) with PS1/2 games.

Guest jenvid

Wah ok thanks for the information bro. Mmmm.. poison indeed!!

Wah din know the REON runs at that temperature!! I went to some other sites to read up and apparently when it runs hot, there are sync issues with speech and visuals. Some pple also mentioned that the PS3's upscaling capabilities when running blu ray are almost on par with REONs. Maybe should rip open the 905, install a better heatsink and cooler hehehe

True. I won't need the audio grade t/fmer and caps in the 905. In fact I won't even need THX 7.1. Wife will not like a whole bunch of wires. I also damn sian of wiring up so many speakers... not till I can afford a literal home theatre room! Time to research some more. Thanks for the lead information.

BTW since you got the PS3, which version did you get (20/60/80GB) ? Read somewhere that the 80GB not really backward compatible (no E-Motion engine) with PS1/2 games.

hehe... You do not need to rip the 905 apart. The Reon chip is visible from the top. I've placed 2x20mm(37dba) on top to provide air circulation and the Reon chips runs at cool constant 45 degC

I am using a 875 to power my Sunfire HT speakers and it is sufficient. If you are not going to run 7.1 then you can use the extra 2 channels to bi-amp the front speakers. So you dont waste any of the wonderful DACs haha...

PS3 ? Well hardcore lah.. the extinct 60GB with the full works lor... both the 40/80 cant play PS2/1 games & the DVD processing chip is of a lower grade. You should be able to find the 60GB ones still lying ard in shops.

Oh yes, the PS3 also runs damn hot deh... it once had its fan on full blast because I kept them in the same console as my AV amp and there wasnt enough air circulation.

Bro, recommend you one more poison which you die die must have. The PS Audio Power Plant Premier (1500W). You will be amazed what that thing does to the audio/video quality of your setup. Noise floor drops, soundstage wider, colour saturation fuller. For 3k+ worth every dollar from Kingsley.

Hehe chia lat leow lah. The PS Audio Power Plant Premier looks like it's similar to another power conditioner which I have been advised to get in the past called the Shunyata Research Hydra series ? The freaking cables will cost me a bomb too.

Your Sunfire's are the ribbon tweeter series ? Tsk tsk tsk.. farking bad influence man but I asked for it.

Hmm.. ok tks for the tip on the PS3. Has GT5 been released ? Will go a hunting.....

Guest jenvid

Hehe chia lat leow lah. The PS Audio Power Plant Premier looks like it's similar to another power conditioner which I have been advised to get in the past called the Shunyata Research Hydra series ? The freaking cables will cost me a bomb too.

Your Sunfire's are the ribbon tweeter series ? Tsk tsk tsk.. farking bad influence man but I asked for it.

Hmm.. ok tks for the tip on the PS3. Has GT5 been released ? Will go a hunting.....

wakakaka... the PPP is not a power conditioner deh... it is an A/C re-generator. A class of its own lah... Forget the cables lah.... I did a/b/a using my PS Premier cables & AudioQuest smthg.. (abt $85)... no much diff. Guess the eqpt not high res enuff.

Sunfire ? Oh yeah the ribbon tweeters... hehe... amazing sound for a small footprint but cant biamp lah... The sub rocks man...

GT5 ? only the prologue, dont waste $ lor...

Guest sy69u

wtf!!!! u guys talking german ah? so damn bloody chim. must go to big school to understand all this chimalogy technical jargons....................... gadget man will forever be gadget man.............. hahahahahahaha

Guest sy69u

btw, got so many people viewing this thread but only u 2 guys talking. the rest just ........................ hahahahahahahaha. like me. blur liow (i think)........ :banghead: :banghead:

Guest jenvid

This posting seems to belong to ICE thread....very chimp.

ICE = In Car Entertainment mah... haha...

btw, got so many people viewing this thread but only u 2 guys talking. the rest just ........................ hahahahahahahaha. like me. blur liow (i think)........ :banghead: :banghead:

Hehe... only 2 pple talk either means

a) It is all a smoke grenade

B) Our call for bluff has been exposed.. hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Jenvid,

Tks for all ur advice. Just bought 2 screens, Panasonic 42 PV8 for myself and a 50 PY700 for the folks. Got the PV8 at $1,699 w $300 vouchers, home theater speakers +5yrs extended warranty. Paid $3,888 for the PY700 w $700 vouchers, home theater speakers, +5 yrs extended warranty and a foldable bike. Gotta wait a week though.

Might need to borrow your calibration DVD! Tks

Guest sy69u

Jenvid,

Tks for all ur advice. Just bought 2 screens, Panasonic 42 PV8 for myself and a 50 PY700 for the folks. Got the PV8 at $1,699 w $300 vouchers, home theater speakers +5yrs extended warranty. Paid $3,888 for the PY700 w $700 vouchers, home theater speakers, +5 yrs extended warranty and a foldable bike. Gotta wait a week though.

no wonder u didnt join us for dinner.... your home will never b e same again. may i suggest buying the dvd entitled, 'the best of fruitcake kompressor adventures - caught on hidden cam. happy viewing.

Guest jenvid

Jenvid,

No problem. Just let me know when u need it.

+5yrs extended warranty ? I thought Pana stuff are already 3yrs . Did u get your warranty from Harvey ?

may i know where you bought them from?