• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W211- Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) - Need advice

Cbenz

Hi folks,

I am planning to buy a used W211. It is registered in Jul 2007 but its year of manufacture is 2006.

I have actually test drove the car, pretty low mileage, and seems fine during test driving. No funny sound whatever.

The only comment i have is that it has pretty 'soft' brakes. Unlike the cars that i have drove before, I have to step the brake pedal almost past halfway mark before i can really feel the braking effect.

My friend later told me that the W211 (2002 - 2006) uses Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC). We googled and it seems that there are many issues with SBC and maintenance fees are high. Called up two C&C service advisors and told them the car was registered in Oct 2007, one told me to consider buying 2008 models as SBC needs more maintenance and the other told me that mine is a facelift model and shoudl be ok. Was also told by friend that mine is probably made in 2006 for the '2007 market', so it probably does not use the SBC system. i am not sure how to spot a W211 with a SBC vs a non-SBC.

I am pretty confused. Any help from the forumers would be very helpful.

Thanks.

I own an '06 E200ML (pre-face lift) for ~2 years now. At first, I was skeptical about the SBC too, therefore, did some research on it.  

SBC is an advance braking system (part of F-1 technology), first introduced to E-200ML, SL and one more model (SLK ?).

As the name implies, it uses sensors to activate the braking and control to achieve safe stopping movement of the car.

Some key benefits SBC : (from my memory, you can goggle it for more data)

- shorter stopping distance (I have read test reports that said better than the conventional braking system of newer models)

- work with the ESC to keep car stable. This is critical during emergency braking on expressway speed. I once emergency braked on NSHW at high speed, was amazed by the performance. Car slowed solidly and I can feel the uniform braking force planted on the wheels. After realized such a good braking system, I now always watch my rear view mirror to allow longer braking distance for vehicles behind me at expressway speed.  

- eliminates 'vibration' associated with the conventional ABS during hard braking. (brake hard, no vibration feedback)

- it even sense wet rotor & brake pad, (ie : water on icy road in winter countries) and auto apply light braking force to dry it, to prevent lose of braking due to excessive moisture retained on rotor & brake pad.  

- it uses sensors, build-in fuzzy logic to predict driving conditions to stand-by sufficient braking force required (through pressure build-up of braking fluid managed by the SBC Pump & Reservoir). More moving parts and automation, translated to more maintenance.

If it comes with SBC, open the bonnet, at the front right, just behind front right headlight, it should be a SBC Pump (square steel box, with diaphragm reservoir in black) made by 'BOSCH'. 

Just like all other moving engineered parts, it subjected to wear-and-tear. There is a designed life span of the SBC, translated to ~100,000km mileage usage city driving. (I recall ~4,000 presses to brake pedals, translated to ~100,000km mileage usage)

My personal experience is that Mercedes is treating this SBC very seriously, probably even more serious post sales of vehicles, as it concerns safety, and I believe safety is paramount to Mercedes.

• Like 1

SBC is lifetime warranty by Mercedes Benz, if there is something wrong just send to C&C and at most just pay for the labour charges to replace them if the car is bought from them originally. I have been driving the 2006 July E200ML pre FL  since day one and now problems till now. The only big ticket item I change was the ac compressor due to wear and tie. Overall the w211 is a very good car 

• Like 2

WML888, jsiau,

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciated it.

cbenz

Go for the FL if budget permits as the interior/ exterior are newer and nicer. I've owned both models before

As the car is 06 model registered in 2007, plse check price.... it should be lower than the 2007 FL model. In fact nearer to the 06 price and dun be carrot by the dealers

• 7 months later...

I did change mine after appealing to Grmany through cnc but have to forked our workmanship, hoses and fluid cost whic is ard 800bucks 2 yrs ago. Maybe, u shd write to Grmany.They replaced the SBC unit which cost a few k.

• 1 month later...

2005 W211 E-class

Got this message on my display this morning, Service brake- visit workshop.

Sent my car down to my regular independent workshop, diagnostic Indicates few error codes related to the infamous SBC pump issue.

Will need to check with C&C next week if covered under warranty, or have to fork out 2K plus to get it resolved.

2005 W211 E-class

Got this message on my display this morning, Service brake- visit workshop.

Sent my car down to my regular independent workshop, diagnostic Indicates few error codes related to the infamous SBC pump issue.

Will need to check with C&C next week if covered under warranty, or have to fork out 2K plus to get it resolved.

Are you the 1st owner ?

Do you regularly maintain at C&C ?

These are likely questions from the dealer.

I have sent in my car to AD to diagnose the faults, was requested to just fill in the owner update form.

Met up with a nice SA which provided me some good advice and a quote on the repairs. I manage to get some cheaper quotes from outside workshops as well, which are able to rectify the faults at half the cost. But most likely will go back to AD for peace of mind.

Shall update again once issue resolved.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...