• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

My Mercedes-Benz Driving Experience

My Mercedes-Benz Driving Experience

I woke up bleary eyed at 745am after clocking in a couple hours of sleep thanks to some zealous fermented grape juice lovers dinner party the evening before. A pleasant zip through Sunday morning traffic on the expressways ensured that we got to the Changi Exhibition Centre (CEC) just before 850am.

The empty & lovely 6 lane carriageway entrance to CEC offered a tempting way to announce your arrival but ‘Sensibility’ was seated in the passenger seat and justice prevailed.

Vertically hung Mercedes-Benz banners on the lampposts leading into CEC drummed up the anticipation. We turned into the vast complex and parked among an assortment of Mercedes-Benz’s and some other continental marques. They included a distinguished Bentley and at the raw end of the performance scale, a Lotus Elise.

Located just outside the hangar where the C&C registration table and hospitality lounge was housed were the sprawling CEC grounds which was converted into 3 mini test track areas marked with witches hats (cones).

Peter Hackett, Chief Drive Instructor for Mercedes-Benz, spoke with charm and candour, explaining the advanced technology implemented in the current line up of Mercedes-Benz cars. He also explained how we were going to experience this technology for ourselves through a range of specially designed exercises.

We were split into 3 groups of 12. Each group was handled by 3 equally charming and decorated Australian instructors. Nathan Pretty is a seasoned Bathhurst endurance and V8 supercar driver as well as a powerboat champion. Dean Fiore is currently in 2nd place in the Carrera Cup Championship of Australia. Lincoln B is with AMG Australia.

We were put through our paces in a variety of exercises that included evasive ABS braking, slalom and driving with and without the ESP. It felt good punishing the extensive range of cars made available for our driving pleasure! Here’s the list - A170, B200, C200K, C230, C280, CLK280, CLS350 AMG, E200K, S350, SLK280, ML350

After much screeching and squealing, bro SableKo and I concluded that we shared the same favourite car – the CLS 350. SableKo’s wife and mine also shared their same favourite car – the CLK280!

The single most enjoyable exercise that made my day was when instructor Lincoln asked me if I wanted to do a HUGE spin with the ESP turned off. Naturally, I said yes! I turned off the ESP, flicked the gear lever to 1st gear and floored the SLK280. With my right foot completely pushing the accelerator to the floorboard and balding Continental tyres screeching for mercy on the dry tarmac, the SLK launched onto the wet vinyl (to simulate a slippery surface). As I heeded Lincoln’s instruction over the walkie talkie to turn the steering wheel, the SLK went into a 360 spin. This was accompanied by a huge grin on my face.

The day culminated in one final exercise. The grounds were converted into a small track incorporated with the various exercises that we were put through earlier in the day. Unfortunately neither of us qualified for best lap time for the day but we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly with newfound respect for Mercedes-Benz cars.

I would like to thank our dear brother SableKo for his generousity and wonderful company throughout the day and look forward to participating in similar events in future.

1o224z.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they are hilarious+charming rogues!!

I trust all you soon to be participants will have a great time like I did too!

Willy try to gun for best time of the day. :thumbsup:

Guest Pooo

I just came back from mine today, and i must say, the cls350 amg was truly a beautiful and great car to drive.

Really pushed the e-class on the final track segment trying to get a good time, and ended with a prize, that is haha, a cone signed by the instructors for knocking it and launching it to over 60ft away :D

Thanks for the kind words! I'm certain you will enjoy your session Jason. Pooo - I was so enamoured with the CLS I went to scout on SGCarmart and there are a few nice 3 year old examples on sale at a $100k off the tag price............ :tazzie: :tazzie:

Guest SableKo

Thanks for the kind words! I'm certain you will enjoy your session Jason. Pooo - I was so enamoured with the CLS I went to scout on SGCarmart and there are a few nice 3 year old examples on sale at a $100k off the tag price............ :tazzie: :tazzie:

Bro g8crasher, you folks are great company! It was a blast and we throughly enjoyed the outing man!

Have to go back to my drawing board to "aim" for the CLS liao!!! :punk1: :punk1:

For those Bros who are line up for the event, I bet you will love it deep deep man! Especially, the "ESP off".... Flat the pedal and enjoy your "helicopter" ride....

Cblack and Willy, go for it! Beat the clock and make us proud!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ok lah tks for ur support! if anyone has more "action packed" photos from this event kindly contribute in case this article really does get submitted to hotstuff.

aha.. got job for fruitcake leow :yumyum: