• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

S-Class (W221) Stock System Suprisingly Good

I just bought a second hand w221 2007.   Since I used to play with car hi-fi in my old days, I was thinking to try to upgrade the car stereo on this S-class.

After i pop in one of my audiopile golden CD from "Chai Ching" and listen to the stock system, I was totally surprised and having doubt now.

The sound coming from the stock speaker appears to be clean, tone-balanced, and not lack of clarity at all.  I do admit that the base is weak and is the area that need improvement.  However, I'm totally surprise that the stock system is so good.

Have any of you changed your S-class stock car system?  What do you change it too?  I'm starting to think that if i replace it with a system that is $2-3k, i may not get get much out of my money and may not even be able to tell the difference.

Advise is needed urgently please.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I'm not an ICE guy but more of a home system person. IMHO sometimes it is better to assess whether a system is acceptable when you play a normal retail disc rather than an audiophile one unless of course you only listen to audiophile discs. YMMV.  :D

My apologies if this detracts from your question.

Vinyl Is Sexy!

I just bought a second hand w221 2007.   Since I used to play with car hi-fi in my old days, I was thinking to try to upgrade the car stereo on this S-class.

After i pop in one of my audiopile golden CD from "Chai Ching" and listen to the stock system, I was totally surprised and having doubt now.

The sound coming from the stock speaker appears to be clean, tone-balanced, and not lack of clarity at all.  I do admit that the base is weak and is the area that need improvement.  However, I'm totally surprise that the stock system is so good.

Have any of you changed your S-class stock car system?  What do you change it too?  I'm starting to think that if i replace it with a system that is $2-3k, i may not get get much out of my money and may not even be able to tell the difference.

Advise is needed urgently please.  Thank you.

IMHO, If you are not a discerning listener or going for ICE competitiion that U want staging( width & height), tonal accuracy, imaging, system noise, etc leave the system alone!

BTW  蔡琴 also one of my fav female singer - has CDs when she had her sweet 20s voice to her current. Even has her vinyl for 金片子

Dun add a subwoofer - active ones always boomy - passive one - your mid bass likely cannot catchup and "overpowering your whole system"

MB has already designed and installed quite a balance system in your ride for easy listening except without bass note that you can count chit liap chit liap. :)

Still "itchy" - go add a processor, amps, change speakers, add a sub or 2, then get the installer to tune your ICE!

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

BTW  蔡琴 also one of my fav female singer - has CDs when she had her sweet 20s voice to her current. Even has her vinyl for 金片子

Steady brudder (can't call you unker cos I'm not that young!) - are you still spinning LPs like me? I have a bunch of her LPs too - including some from from her specky plain jane days.

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Steady brudder (can't call you unker cos I'm not that young!) - are you still spinning LPs like me? I have a bunch of her LPs too - including some from from her specky plain jane days.

hahahah.... from young Ah Lian to Aunty :)

temp not able to run my home audio cos 1 of my Martin Logan water melon... hehehe I mean sequel II bass driver up lorry and can't get a replacement.

Wanna gip away the speakers, people said tin teh! :) Pobably put them up on echoloft!

Meanwhile saving up some pennies to buy replacement speakers. :(

Ya Spin vinyls on a cheapo turn table and play cds on a separate transport/dac - still has brand new unplayed Cassestte player & DAT player  :)

Has another cheapo turn table that helps me to rip vinyl to mp3 to feed my 160Gb iPod Classic :)

Teochew how lian used to have 4 separate sound systems while I was in Batam and over the years moved 3 systems back.

System 1: Home Audio

System 2: Home Theatre

System 3: BMB Karaoke System

System 4: Disco Sound System - Crown Amp with Disco Speakers (Kept in my Batam house store room)

Cheers

Agree with Aquareef.

The stock sound system (non harmon cardon) is good enough.

I feel that it is as good as the lexus premium sound system (not the mark levinson) in the old ES300.

Suggest no need to upgrade the speakers, leave it alone.

Maybe install VIM (video in motion), to enable front seat passenger (and rear seat passengers too) to watch DVD while moving.

Or even add digital TV (CNA, 5, 8)

?and GPS.

hahahah.... from young Ah Lian to Aunty :)

temp not able to run my home audio cos 1 of my Martin Logan water melon... hehehe I mean sequel II bass driver up lorry and can't get a replacement.

Wanna gip away the speakers, people said tin teh! :) Pobably put them up on echoloft!

Meanwhile saving up some pennies to buy replacement speakers. :(

Ya Spin vinyls on a cheapo turn table and play cds on a separate transport/dac - still has brand new unplayed Cassestte player & DAT player  :)

Has another cheapo turn table that helps me to rip vinyl to mp3 to feed my 160Gb iPod Classic :)

Teochew how lian used to have 4 separate sound systems while I was in Batam and over the years moved 3 systems back.

System 1: Home Audio

System 2: Home Theatre

System 3: BMB Karaoke System

System 4: Disco Sound System - Crown Amp with Disco Speakers (Kept in my Batam house store room)

Wah Martin Logan up lorry - so sayang!

I have a few tables but currently using an old Garrard 401 and blasting away on my quarter century Klipschorns

Vinyl Is Sexy!

Wah Martin Logan up lorry - so sayang!

I have a few tables but currently using an old Garrard 401 and blasting away on my quarter century Klipschorns

U bring your lorry to my house and the ML are yours ai mai?

hahaaha! I started with a lesser model floor standing Klipsch before upgrading to the ML.

Lup horns - not horny horns but horn speakers. Once I had horn speakers in my car audio too.

The Klipshorns are huge and tua lp to carry them - the throw of the horn is far and wide! :)

My HT - L/R/C/S(Bi-polar) are all Klipsch :) run by 5 Marantz MA500 monoblocks before they were accorded the THX logo by Lucasfilm

Cheers

Agree with Aquareef.

The stock sound system (non harmon cardon) is good enough.

I feel that it is as good as the lexus premium sound system (not the mark levinson) in the old ES300.

Suggest no need to upgrade the speakers, leave it alone.

Maybe install VIM (video in motion), to enable front seat passenger (and rear seat passengers too) to watch DVD while moving.

Or even add digital TV (CNA, 5, 8)

?and GPS.

IMHO,

The W221 PreFL should probably came with COMAND & Navigation and maybe with Harman Kardon option.

If it comes with Harman Kardon option, there will be a 8" sub woofer in the boot but imho it's "boomy"

Fixing of VIM is easy but it's a known fact that enabling VIM will have problems in COMAND Navigation

To add DTV, IIRC the COMAND has no AV input. If there's Video input, it will be taken up by the RC.

Therefore to add DTV, you will need a Multi Media Interface and this will sit between the LCD display and HU.

At times, the screen resolution may face interference from the MMI cable and cause detrioration in the screen display quality.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm new here. Can anyone advice the cost of installing VIM & Digital TV in my W221?

VIM contact site sponsor camber53 aka Gregory - hp: 96680053

He will be able give you more info on DTv

Cheers

Hi I'm new here. Can anyone advice the cost of installing VIM & Digital TV in my W221?

For Japanese car like toyota/lexus, only $40 to allow passenger to watch tv while driving (bypass the safety feature)

and around $400 can add GPS to headunit

For Merc it is relatively expensive....It is around 1K i think for the VIM alone and another 1K plus to add aftermarket GPS eg Galactio (may need to use remote control instead of touch screen) to stock system.

For Japanese car like toyota/lexus, only $40 to allow passenger to watch tv while driving (bypass the safety feature)

and around $400 can add GPS to headunit

For Merc it is relatively expensive....It is around 1K i think for the VIM alone and another 1K plus to add aftermarket GPS eg Galactio (may need to use remote control instead of touch screen) to stock system.

1. VIM or Video In Motion - U can get one from Kufatec for EUR170.00 before shipping & installation

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Video-In-Motion/Mercedes

2. Lexus HU probably has enough video in or rgb in for after mkt gps.

For MB, you need an after market Multi Media Interface to hook up your after mkt gps & or other hardware (DVD, RC,DTv) to the MMI.

The MMI will sit between the HU and the LCD Display.

Cheers

• 9 months later...

Hi Kepiting,

if i get VIM from Kufatec, where can i get it install? 

do you reckon that adding amp & processor would improve further? As i have existing system dismantle from my E class, but like aquareef mentioned, the sound system is good enough, except not perfect yet.

One more question, any way i can stream my music from android phone to car stereo? 

Thanks

Hi Kepiting,

if i get VIM from Kufatec, where can i get it install? 

do you reckon that adding amp & processor would improve further? As i have existing system dismantle from my E class, but like aquareef mentioned, the sound system is good enough, except not perfect yet.

One more question, any way i can stream my music from android phone to car stereo? 

Thanks

If you have COMAND in your ride, you should be able to use BT to stream your music to yoru car audio system.

I can stream music from my Note 2 and iPhone 4s to my car audio through BT. 

I've dekitted my ride and I've COMAND NTG 4.5 + VIM from Kufatec for sale.

Let me know if you are interested.

Like I've said in the earlier threads if you are not a discerning listener, the stock system is good enough.

If you want to go to "competition" level then it will depend what's your budget.

If you want just to do something a little better than stock, see Ah Boon from AutoSpritze.

• Like 1

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Digging up an old thread, but recently got my 2011 S350. 

At first listen via the radio I thought this is going to need upgrading, it sounds surprisingly crap... 

But then I installed my Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver, and played through Spotify on my phone, and after a minute of tweaking the sound settings through Command, I was very impressed at the difference. 

Playing some heavy bass tunes I was surprised by the flat frequency response, and how the bass was quite uniform despite seating position in the car. 

Conclusion for me is absolutely no need to upgrade, as surely I can't beat bang for buck for what's already there😆, plus I cringe at the idea of anyone pulling panels off to replace components in fear of a rattle being introduced 😂

Pic of stuff I had lying around to get the Audioengine B1 running(all contained in glovebox), generally regarded as a very impressive high quality BT receiver

IMG-20210327-WA0033.jpeg