• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

PC Show Canon Specials

Just trotted back from the show -

Canon EOS40D with EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens $1,999 with the following freebies

- 4GB CF

- 2GB CF

- EOS lens workbook

- EOS bag

- 20 DVD +R discs

- Digital photo frame

- 120GB external HDD

- Tripod

Canon EOS40D with EF-S 17-85 IS USM kit lens $2,599 with the following freebies

- 4GB CF

- 2GB CF

- EOS lens workbook

- EOS bag

- 20 DVD +R discs

- Digital photo frame

- 120GB external HDD

- Tripod

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah lah bro plus I went past LG Booth they have a 42" plasma PG60D integrated digital tv tuner asking $1,999. 150Hz (flicker free or so they say), invisible speakers tuned by Mark Levinson (endorsed more like it), 4 HDMI ports, 0.001ms response time, 30,000:1 (dunno dynamic or static) plus free wall mount, installation and gift of either digital photo frame, $200 NTUC vouchers or home theatre system.

Sssssssssssteam

Guest Berlok

No determination, better dont step in..

Bought a Panasonic 42" Palsma @$1599, cant resist cos it come with $500+$100 voucher....only $999 in actual only...

Wha bro poison la you.. Is it only eligible only for like first few customers or what? More info please!!

Guest jenvid

Panasonic TH42PV7HS

Wow... this is a very good plasma panel. Bro u need to calibrate it.

Now shall I start the Home theater poison for U ?

The next better one is the Pioneer one. I think the name start with K.

Plasma is still king until LCD catches up on bang for buck lor...

Home Theater poison [moderate pricing :)]

1) Onkyo 905 AV amp

2) PS Power Plant Premier

3) Audio Quest HDMI cables

4) Audio Quest Power cords

5) PS 3 ? The 60GB version hor

6) Sunfire Cinema speaker + sub or Mission ones

7) Starhub Hubstation component out to AV amp, HDMI to Plasma...

hehe....

Guest narmi

Bro, quick qns, the starhub Hubstation ah, u say component out to av amp, hdmi to plasma, will this sort of upscale the pic to at least 720p?

Coz i just bought a 46" LCD for my room to play on my ps3, and on ps3, everything seems fine and dandy, but on normal digital set top box, it looks really grainy ah.. and comparing the HD set top box and hubstation, i would prefer the hubstation hands down..

What do u think i should take up?

Guest jenvid

Bro, quick qns, the starhub Hubstation ah, u say component out to av amp, hdmi to plasma, will this sort of upscale the pic to at least 720p?

Coz i just bought a 46" LCD for my room to play on my ps3, and on ps3, everything seems fine and dandy, but on normal digital set top box, it looks really grainy ah.. and comparing the HD set top box and hubstation, i would prefer the hubstation hands down..

What do u think i should take up?

To answer your qn, YES.

But u shldnt upscale to 720p. 576i is good enuff.

If you buy a TV purely for PS3, then LCD is your choice. If you want to watch big screen with normal input, plasma is the way to go or DLP projectors. If you want to splurge than the JVC D-ILA projector. ;D

Do know that max res for cable broadcast is 720p, no 1080i/p is possible now. This is the bandwidth limit of the transmission medium i.e. your co-axial cables.

A 46inch LCD probably can shoot 1080p but you are wasting your $ for at least 3yrs in my view. You can try lowering the resolution but I doubt it helps.

Your HD set only gives you 720p for limited channels.

The hubstation is a much better choice than the normal digital set cuz it can pump component rather than composite video. 3 times the info, 3 time the detail on your screen.

A good AV amp with the REON chip upscaler can save you some grainy pixelation but no matter what, extrapolation of pixels only introduce artefacts to your screen hence your grainy scenes.

That is also the reason I chose a 42inch plasma 1024x768.

Looks like guru is using the Onkyo AV amp to convert to HDMI signal ?

Saw the Pioneer Kuro screens asking $3,999 before discount etc. The Samsung L5/L6 series specs look very impressive though. Very high dynamic contrast ratio and using LED backlight instead of the normal fluoro bulb. Asking price also very high.

Narmi - Starhub broadcasts at 1080i so the signal is upscaled. Most programs are still recorded on 720 so I think it's pointless paying 20 bucks more for the HD box. As guru said, a well calibrated and smartly setup system can bring more joy to your life than a slew of fashionable HD devices.

Wah ok learn something new this morning.. thanks guru! Think I have to emulate your setup leow. I still haven't bought my flatscreen because I feel unsure about the limitations of current day technology (esp the co-ax part) but you seem to have cleared all that in your post!

:thumbsup:

So assuming I go for the IDTV LG Plasma, the sensible thing to do would be to filter the signal from the Starhub box thru an external AV amp for processing and then feed it to the IDTV to result in a cleaner and perhaps clearer picture ?

Guest jenvid

g8crasher ]

Looks like guru is using the Onkyo AV amp to convert to HDMI signal ?

Saw the Pioneer Kuro screens asking $3,999 before discount etc. The Samsung L5/L6 series specs look very impressive though. Very high dynamic contrast ratio and using LED backlight instead of the normal fluoro bulb. Asking price also very high.

Narmi - Starhub broadcasts at 1080i so the signal is upscaled. Most programs are still recorded on 720 so I think it' wrote:

I no guru here... dig ard for mths before buying 1 panels... used to use LCD projector to push 80" screen. You know how that feels playing Gran Turismo III/IV hooking to a full home theater system ? As good as being there. :angel1:

The Pioneer Kuro. Yah that's the one. Wow price drop so fast. IMHO, it is still overkill for watching TV. Full HD or HD is good if you watch blueray disc all the time. You want poison ? watch phantom of the oper[blueray] on the JVC D-ILA. The color saturation will bow you over, shake ur bones out.... keke..There is no turning back. Adelphi 4th floor. The back corner shop. Cant remember its name though.

Yes calibration is key. A well thought out/laid out/set up home theater will give u utmost bang for buck. I have the calibration DVD :)

Wah ok learn something new this morning.. thanks guru! Think I have to emulate your setup leow. I still haven't bought my flatscreen because I feel unsure about the limitations of current day technology (esp the co-ax part) but you seem to have cleared all that in your post!

:thumbsup:

So assuming I go for the IDTV LG Plasma, the sensible thing to do would be to filter the signal from the Starhub box thru an external AV amp for processing and then feed it to the IDTV to result in a cleaner and perhaps clearer picture ?

Yep but out from the hubstation...but if your plasma is Full HD then pixelation will still occur. Not quite sure how bad it is.

A cheaper alternative is to use the Optoma DLP projector (wide throw). A 3m throw will give you a 70+" screen. The color wheel of the Optoma projector is good.

If you want to have better colour saturation, invest in the PS PPP, some quality power cables & HDMI. The difference is very noticeable.

I cant recall what the IDTV does but AFAIK we should wait till the HD issue is sorted out between Starhub & TCS. I urge u not to buy the LG plasma, the leaders for picture quality for plasma is Pioneer Kuro, Panasonic PV7HS [7th gen plasma], Hitachi in order of best to good.

Guest narmi

Wah wah!!

thanks jenvid for the advice/poison..

there i was, thinking just ask a normal random question and maybe end up getting a hubstation and a component cable,, now,i i think must spend more money to get the whole set up!!!!

Funny how a simple question always turns to poison on SGMERC.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punk1:

now i scared to even ask another qns... :2guns: :'(

Copied from local forum - http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=54732.0

juz been to adelphi for the seng heng roadshow and suntec for the pc show.

seng heng roadshow,

428XG (display sets) going for $2299 with 1 yr warranty + wall mount bkts or tv stand + free installation/delivery.

428XG (brand new) going for $2999 with 3 yrs warranty + 250GB DVD-Recorder + wall mount bkts or tv stand + free installation/delivery.

Pioneer booth @ PC Show 2008,

428XG (brand new) going for $2999 with 5 yrs warranty + 250GB DVD-Recorder + 2m Daiyo 1.3a HDMI cable + wall mount bkts or tv stand + free installation/delivery.

which is a better deal? u decide.

saw the new panasonic PY800 @ PC Show too. IMHO, Pioneer still stands out.

Guest jenvid

Wah wah!!

thanks jenvid for the advice/poison..

there i was, thinking just ask a normal random question and maybe end up getting a hubstation and a component cable,, now,i i think must spend more money to get the whole set up!!!!

Funny how a simple question always turns to poison on SGMERC.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punk1:

now i scared to even ask another qns... :2guns: :'(

hehe.. cuz we are all purist ! Else u wont buy a merc in the first place !

To be frank, most pple buy the best in class for a single component for a whole setup which is pity. It needs a complete package to maximize the entire home theater experience and it doesnt cost a lot more. Spread the budget..

To complete your poison... check out http://www.d-box.com for your ultimate movie experience !

Now the poison hasnt really started...REALLY !