• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

The car that you drive to work

Guest Andlee

Guest Andlee

Hi..

Just wondering..those that drive lifestyle cars like CLK,SLK covertibles to work..how does your boss or colleagues see you..if he is just driving a normal Japanese car..anyone faces such problems? I do not want my work performance to be affected by this..or maybe..I am just being too paranoid?

Guest angela

My reply might not apply to your question, but its something vaguely similar...

During my attachment, i drove my dads bmw to work most of the days, and on the first day.. my LO (lesion officer) who also happened to be the manager of the coy casually asked me what car i drove... so after my reply she jokingly said that "how come you drive better car than me... down here not allowed..." and we both had a good laugh..

of course she knew that the car didn't belong to me, and during my attachment we had our bad days... (even once when she was pissed off she mentioned that "you think you drive a luxury car you're better than me") but in the end, it ended on good terms and i got a very high grade for my attachment..

i guess it can turn out in 3 ways, and your boss would most likely be a lil envious of you (who won't be? we're all human..)

(1) he/she might bring it up jokingly (as in my situation), or

(2) they might not.. (won;t bring it up in office)

(3) and the last way would that they would bring it up and it turns out bad for ya... (touchwood)

Guest SgLaKsa

Hi..

Just wondering..those that drive lifestyle cars like CLK,SLK covertibles to work..how does your boss or colleagues see you..if he is just driving a normal Japanese car..anyone faces such problems? I do not want my work performance to be affected by this..or maybe..I am just being too paranoid?

Bro,

Seems like you have a big concern about your Career, then i would advise that you read the book '48 laws of Power' which is about 'How to get to the top and stay there', because the 1st Law states - 'NEVER OUTSHINE THE MASTER'. :swduel:

What sillywilly wrote was very true - your boss would most likely be a lil envious of you (who won't be? we're all human..)

Guest Titan

Sometimes you will be surprise what your bosses is thinking, let me share with you my experience...

Have 4 bosses all driving big big cars, 3 x S-Class, 1 x Porsche, 2 X RX350, 1 x cooperS and 1 x Estima (school bus for their children). Lately dunno is it due to mid life crisis they added another cooperS, WRX and a BMW 130 to their fleet. One of them even turn to take MRT to work! :-\ I did wonder if its not a good time to change car, since my boss is taking MRT to work.

During my last appraisal, he encourage me to change my ride thus I told him that I'll liked to get a SLK200, it turn out that he is happier than me and ask me to get at least the SLK280 for a V6 engine :yumyum: and also broke the news that he will be getting a Ferrari soon. He explain...... A good worker is a worker with dreams and ambition, if boss and workers are all living good the company is doing even better afterall it adds to the landscape of our carpark :thumbsup:

Sure we meet few sour grape in the company but as long as we deliver, you can ignore their remarks. Just enjoy your ride :punk1:

Guest 9339

My view.....

If you works in a company which the Boss's will mind that you will out shinning them in driving a nicer car, not only think of changing car, but also think of changing your Job too.

Myself, i would love to see my guys getting nice car,nice houses (if they can afford), that will also show that how well are they being paid,hee.....

Not to worry, if you can perform and do good to the company,i think your bosses wont mind.

Guest Raskie

haha .. had the same dilemma too ... immediate boss rides a scooter and our next manager takes the bus !!!

i think if boss is expat, they might not be too concerned as most expats always baulked at the prices of cars here .. most will choose to drive MPVs for the sake of their families ... unless he is single and party-sort ...

but if u park in some commercial carpark and walk to office, then no worries right ? can't be seen ... kekeke

Guest CBlack

my boss drives a honda jazz but she does not has a problem with me driving a car that cost more than hers. we all have different priority in life. for her, she spent her money on investments, properties, etc. my other senior management sometime will tease that i drive better car than them but my answers to them is that they can well afford better car than me and it is just that they prefer to put their money somewhere else.

well my immediate boss drives a March, and my plant boss drives a Vios.

they ever said to me, "wow lau you drive a Merc, you rich guy, dun really need to work la", well i always counter them by saying "your car is new, mine is a COE car, and if i'm rich, i won't be working under you"

9339 ]

My view.....

If you works in a company which the Boss' wrote:

not only think of changing car, but also think of changing your Job too.[/b]

think i must look for another job liao!!?! any kind bosses here want to employ me?!?! :devil2: :devil2:

Guest SgLaKsa

When we say 'Boss', some of us are referring to their direct superior but others are referring to the actual bosses of the company. I think superiors are the ones who will give you problems but not actual bosses of the company. In fact, bosses of small size companies would be happy that you commit to bigger luxury liabilities so that u'll never be able to save up enough capital and be their competitor :clap: kakakakaka

Guest angela

Wah lao... you guys lucky lah... i drive VITO to work!!! ???

bro jeff, you may drive vito to work... but once after work and u need to go enjoy u can unleash ur secret weapon consealed inside... ;D :ninja:

• Like 1

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

Life is too short... enjoy if you can. ;D

Too many people have lots of $ in bank dunno for what.

You'll never know if you're alive the next day.

That's what happens to one of my friend... didn't enjoy anything... $ didn't spend...poor chap!

Sorry OT a little.

Life is too short... enjoy if you can.

:punk1: Don't hoard too much cash. The world financial system depends on spenders!! :bboyspin:

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :iconsalut: :iconsalut: :iconsalut: :punk1: :punk1: :punk1: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

my boss drives a honda jazz but she does not has a problem with me driving a car that cost more than hers. we all have different priority in life. for her, she spent her money on investments, properties, etc. my other senior management sometime will tease that i drive better car than them but my answers to them is that they can well afford better car than me and it is just that they prefer to put their money somewhere else.

those are smart guy hor!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ultor

My boss is on company Audi A6 so my ride does outshine hers a little brand wise. It was even brought up as a conversation topic with her boss... not sure if you want that kind of attention. Anyway, I earn my keep and I have my goals and desire.