• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

I Can't Get No Satisfaction.....

I can't seem to derive satisfaction from my setup anymore. I think many of you have been past this stage in your quest for aural perfection. It seems nothing much has really improved with the new equipment that I've installed in recent months. Due to my limited tuning abilities and technical knowledge, I seem to have hit the proverbial brick wall. Perhaps your years of knowledge and experience can help me in solving these issues.

Equipment List

-----------------

Alpine CDA-9853R

DLS R6A speakers

DLS CA-23 amplifier (2x135wrms)

Butler TDB475 (4x75wrms)

Audison BT interconnects

Stinger speaker wire

Hertz EBX250 10" subwoofer

Main Complaints

-------------------

..The overall sound is not tight enough. Seem to experience some overhang when listening to more bassy tracks. Possibly due to my vented subwoofer enclosure ?

..Midbass not impactful enough. When I ran my DLS R6 speakers and passive crossovers off a DLS CA-23 amplifer (2 x 135w), the midbass sounded alot richer. I have since switched to the built in active crossover of my headunit and am running the speakers off the tube driver.

I've yet to note down the crossover frequency settings. EQ is flat for now.

:'(

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kepiting1sg
..The overall sound is not tight enough. Seem to experience some overhang when listening to more bassy tracks. Possibly due to my vented subwoofer enclosure ?

IMHO

A 10" sub will not go as low as a 12".

Having a vented sub, the tuning Hz of the box is usually high, peak @ the tuning Hz, lose out low Hz extension. A sealed box has a smoother low Hz repsonse curve.

..Midbass not impactful enough. When I ran my DLS R6 speakers and passive crossovers off a DLS CA-23 amplifer (2 x 135w), the midbass sounded alot richer. I have since switched to the built in active crossover of my headunit and am running the speakers off the tube driver.

IMHO,

It seems U are satisfied with running passive then running active.

It could be your active x-over settings that might not be set optimumly.

I've yet to note down the crossover frequency settings. EQ is flat for now.

A "good EQ" helps to smoothen out your peaks & valleys of your entire Hz response range.

A good tuning maybe all you need with a change in your sub or sub box.

Calling our F#1 tuner DerekJJ!!!!!!.....JJ....JJJJJJ....Pls. come to the meetup tomorrow & help our Forum Administrator's ICE.....Derek!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

aiyoh tomorrow linpeh buay sai lai leh.... :o :o :o :o

Nabeh! U can always PM him mah!

Derek is such a nice chap!

I can bet you he's reading this thread too.

So mau paiseh!

Seek the F#1 tuner for enlightenment! ;D ;D ;D

Nabeh! U can always PM him mah!

Derek is such a nice chap!

I can bet you he's reading this thread too.

So mau paiseh!

Seek the F#1 tuner for enlightenment!

kekeke ok ok will pm with recommendation from the enlightened one! ;D

fiddle until steam ahhhh..... psssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh need to go batam let go hahahaha

Guest kepiting1sg

kekeke ok ok will pm with recommendation from the enlightened one! ;D

fiddle until steam ahhhh..... psssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh need to go batam let go hahahaha

PM Derek and tell him the Hamsup Unker Lau Humku sent you! ;D ;D ;D

If U ever cums to Fantasy/Pleasure Island, limpeh put car to fetch U around

and I will try my best to make whatever U wanna to fantasize cums true!

Swee boh!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest mekenics

Start with a new sealed box... u will be surprised with the diff. make sure u know the woofer specs so the box not too big/small. in general, sealed box is quite forgiving when out of spec compared to a vented box.

ur mid bass could be due to the amp not giving u enuf juice. i jus heard a 3 way brax matrix mid-bass with a "klass A" (60w x 2) sin-fonic followed by a "150.2x" (165w x 2) diff was heaven & e@rth! suffice juice-ing is necessary....

possible test option:

run ur mids back on the dls amp

use the butler in 3 ch config

2 for tweets

2 bridged for woofer