• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Take Note:- This FRIDAY!!!

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

KUALA LUMPUR: Petrol stations located in border states like Johor and Perlis will be barred from selling petrol and diesel to foreign-registered cars starting Friday.

Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shahrir Samad said the move, aimed at plugging loopholes in the current subsidy system, was decided during an anti-inflation committee meeting yesterday.

The ban will involve between 200 and 300 petrol stations in Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis, Perak and the Johor Baru and Kulai areas in Johor.

Currently, petrol stations are not allowed to sell more then 20 litres of petrol to foreign vehicles.

“This move is temporary until we come up with better management of our subsidy system,” he told reporters.

At present, Shahrir said too many foreign-registered cars, particularly those from neighbouring countries, had been crossing into Malaysia to take advantage of the lower fuel and diesel prices.

“I have been instructed to use my power under the Control of Supply Act to direct and ban the sale of subsidised fuel to these foreign cars. This applies to petrol stations located as far as 50km from the border,” he said.

Besides the northern states and the Johor Baru and Kulai areas of Johor, Shahrir said he was also studying if the ban should include petrol stations in Pontian.

He said the petrol stations would be notified by the ministry to adhere to the move.

Shahrir said that besides putting up signboards informing motorists of this new ruling, enforcement officers would also be stationed at the petrol stations to ensure businesses complied with the ruling.

“I will inform my officers about this latest decision and it will take effect by Friday or the latest Monday,” he said.

Shahrir said those caught flouting the ruling could be fined up to RM250,000.

However, he said foreign-registered vehicles which entered the country for tourism purposes could still fill up their tanks in places like Penang and Malacca where the ban would not apply.

“They should enter the country with full tanks and they have to plan their journey,” he said.

In Johor Baru, petrol station owners and managers were shocked with the announcement.

Petrol dealer Andy Wong said such a decision had huge implications on petrol station owners as a large number of stations situated near the Causeway depended heavily on their Singaporean clientele.

“If it is within 50km, then the whole of Johor Baru is affected,” he said when met at his station last night.

Other petrol station owners said they were awaiting more information.

One petrol station manager, whose station services hundreds of Singapore-registered vehicles daily, said: “So far, talks have only been about petrol subsidies. This has never been spoken about.”

He said petrol station owners had not been consulted about the matter

Source : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...395&sec=nation

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jenvid

the petrol kiosk at 2nd link will close shop.

No one will make it back from 8 June PG track.. cuz cant top up fuel...wat the fish...

Seriously I wonder how they enforce...

Oh btw I got 1 free top up from Petronas from our last trip :)

Guest C350

the petrol kiosk at 2nd link will close shop.

No one will make it back from 8 June PG track.. cuz cant top up fuel...wat the fish...

Seriously I wonder how they enforce...

Oh btw I got 1 free top up from Petronas from our last trip :)

ya lor the richer you are the lesser you pay ma & some got it for free. :tazzie: :yumyum: :bboyspin:

Guest jenvid

No way they can enforce it!

hope so not lor, but they crazy one lei, this time might be real >:D

errm... caltex station just b4 custom belongs to the johor sultan leh... no biz,, mean need some other form of financing lor...

errm... caltex station just b4 custom belongs to the johor sultan leh... no biz,, mean need some other form of financing lor...

well think those in Town area and like around Lian Hoe area lor...

and 1 more thing, only in DAY light! that's where i think they can enforce.. :punk1:

Guest C350

well think those in Town area and like around Lian Hoe area lor...

and 1 more thing, only in DAY light! that's where i think they can enforce.. :punk1:

bo yu bo yu bo yu, all bro cut all event car no petrol liao bo yu bo yu bo yu :bboyspin:

Plenty of opinions out on the street! The most popular being "Pedra Branca has come full circle.."

Just when we won "Pedra Branca", this happens! :angry3:

Guest 9339

Jeff ,drive your Vito and lets goes further with jelly can and fill with petrol to sell them and make some money to buy ourself a SLR, hahaa....

No white car pls if not bo u bo u again :offtopic:

Guest jenvid

Orr... OK. Thanks for the prompt reply. :punk1:

Now I can relaks and go to sleep (its 3am in London) Zzz...

Errm.. Fruitcake statement is only applicable to non white cars. So far all the white ones hor... do abt 6km/l wor...

Updates

S'poreans likely to cut down on trips to Malaysia once petrol sale ban starts

SINGAPORE: Some Singaporeans said they may cut back on trips to Malaysia once the proposed ban on the sale of petrol and diesel to foreign registered vehicles within a 50-kilometre radius of Malaysia's borders takes effect.

The ban is expected to kick in as early as this Friday in a move to prevent abuse of heavy fuel subsidies.

However, Malaysia's Domestic Trade Minister, Shahrir Samad, said on Tuesday that the ban is a temporary one. It will be lifted once a new subsidy mechanism to replace the existing scheme, where everyone is subsidised, is put in place.

Still, the move is expected to affect hundreds of motorists who regularly cross over the border for cheaper oil.

Malaysia's diesel and petrol prices are among the lowest in Asia due to high government subsidies.

The ban is expected to affect up to 300 petrol stations in the country. And Singaporeans who head to Johor Bahru for cheaper petrol will be the most affected.

For example, Loy Cheong, a businessman who is a regular traveller across the border, said he will cut back on his trips.

Mr Cheong, Business Development Manager, Medo Enterprises Holding, said: "Buying cheap petrol is one of the privileges and what attracts the Singaporean to go there. But with this implementation, it may deter people from visiting Johor.

"We go normally once a week or once in every two weeks. But if they implement this, maybe we will go less often, like once a month."

Also facing problems are Malaysians who are Singapore permanent residents.

Koh Ming Li, a Singapore permanent resident, lives near the border and has been coming to Singapore almost every day for the past two years for work.

He said: "The problem now is that it prohibits me from driving directly into JB. And as for the 50-kilometre radius from JB, I would say (there's) almost no petrol kiosks within JB that I can pump petrol from."

Petrol kiosk operators who violate the ban face the possibility of a S$110,000 fine (RM$250,000) or a three-year jail term or both.

Guest C350

Ai Ya we need petrol only la they can sell same price or more then singapore price to us lor, talk so much for what. sick with them liao.funnnnnny cannot pump petrol so funnnnnnny :snglfk: :snglfk: :snglfk:

Guest jenvid

NBX29 :censored:

Ai Ya like that also Kana NB :tazzie: :tazzie: :tazzie: Concern ma

He not doing it to u lah... he NB his car & Msian Govt mah..keke

Guest C350

Jenvid is Right!!! ;D

finally is morning 10:30am now im going to sleep liao.

i was awake all night thinking why jeff NB me, now got the answer sleeping time. :bboyspin: :bboyspin: :bboyspin:

more updates

May 29, 2008

KUALA LUMPUR - THE Malaysian government will announce on Friday new mechanisms to prevent foreign-registered vehicles from buying subsidised fuel at border areas.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on Wednesday said these vehicles may also have to pay the full market price for fuel elsewhere in the country, said Malaysian media reports on Wednesday.

'Foreigners will definitely have to pay the full price when we make the announcement and when we enforce it immediately,' he told a press conference in Parliament here on Wednesday.

Datuk Seri Abdullah said some people had taken advantage of the country's cheaper fuel prices by smuggling it into other countries for a profit.

'We will discuss whether the mechanism will be based on the car's engine capacity, or on the income of recipients, among others things, but foreigners should pay market price,' he said.