• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Run on Flat Tyres

mystream

Hi All,

Will be collecting my C180 next week and one of first task for me is to change the stock rim to 18', aiming for Volks racing G25. One of my dilemma is whether should I stay with run on flat or normal Tyres.

Was told by the tyre shop that run on flat are heavier and defeats the purpose of installing light forge rim and moreover the ride will be harsher. On normal tyres and Without a spare, I have concern of flat tyres on my occasional Malaysia NSHW trip.

Would like to seek opinion here whether should I go run on flat or normal tyres?

Personally dislike the harshness of run flat tyres. Regular tyres + carry a spare / tyre repair kit with prior inspections before the long drive will suffice on NSHW. 

If the runflats suffer from sidewall damage, still gotta wait for roadside assistance, 

Yes, that was what I was told.

Personally dislike the harshness of run flat tyres. Regular tyres + carry a spare / tyre repair kit with prior inspections before the long drive will suffice on NSHW. 

If the runflats suffer from sidewall damage, still gotta wait for roadside assistance,

Yes, that's was what I was told on the harshness of the ride. I read some where in the NET that there are tyre repair product that were water solvable after application. Any idea what are brands out there?

For years I have read about criticisms against run-flat tyres.

I had the chance to drive a car on run-flat-tyres recently and honestly I did not even notice any difference.

BMWs were using run-flats for some time and now Mercedes has started using them too.

Perhaps the advantage outweighs the disadvantages? 

For years I have read about criticisms against run-flat tyres.

I had the chance to drive a car on run-flat-tyres recently and honestly I did not even notice any difference.

BMWs were using run-flats for some time and now Mercedes has started using them too.

Perhaps the advantage outweighs the disadvantages? 

Interesting...I been hearing the same thing too.  So maybe the difference between RFT and normal tyres is minimal.  Any more opinions out there?

Facts are true on Gen-1 & 2 Run Flats that they are very uncomfortable amd "hard" compared to non-RFT.

However, Gen-3 has closed the "gap" that the effects are minimal, i have used 2 cycles of Gen-3 RFT in my previous car before I switch to Max Performance tyres (no runflats then), i dare say only minimum differences to conventional tyres (same brand/model) in terms of comfort and "hardness" even though there's abit... try very low profile tyres with stiff suspension setup, now that is what i called hard and uncomfortable thus no RFT has ever made me avoid using them (provided the Max Performance tyres has them).

IMO, the problems experienced by users of Gen-1 & 2 runflats get carried to Gen-3 and i wont be surprised even for Gen-4... well never underestimate Placebo Effect.

Gen-4 is alrdy out in 2015 with some brands coming out on 2016. Gen-4 suppose to be equal to, if not, damn near to a conventional tyre.

Cents worth.

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

Facts are true on Gen-1 & 2 Run Flats that they are very uncomfortable amd "hard" compared to non-RFT.

However, Gen-3 has closed the "gap" that the effects are minimal, i have used 2 cycles of Gen-3 RFT in my previous car before I switch to Max Performance tyres (no runflats then), i dare say only minimum differences to conventional tyres (same brand/model) in terms of comfort and "hardness" even though there's abit... try very low profile tyres with stiff suspension setup, now that is what i called hard and uncomfortable thus no RFT has ever made me avoid using them (provided the Max Performance tyres has them).

IMO, the problems experienced by users of Gen-1 & 2 runflats get carried to Gen-3 and i wont be surprised even for Gen-4... well never underestimate Placebo Effect.

Gen-4 is alrdy out in 2015 with some brands coming out on 2016. Gen-4 suppose to be equal to, if not, damn near to a conventional tyre.

Cents worth.

Bro. Are you using RFT now? If so what is size and profile are you using?

Bro. Are you using RFT now? If so what is size and profile are you using?

Now nope.

Ride came fitted with PS3 from C&C.

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports

• 2 months later...