• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W126 DIY clock repair

owm

ZoomButt.gif

Well, I finally got my clock working by changing out the two worn out electrolytic capacitors.

I used this guide as a reference:

http://boostnbenz.1b...asley/clock.htm

Important! Always disconnect the negative cable from the battery before removing the cluster.

However, it would appear that our clock/tacho cluster is slightly different from the US versions in that the portion circled in red has to be de-soldered to remove the clock sub-assembly successfully:

7189256615_0c83e1e690.jpg

To gain access to the clusters, you have to remove 4 screws (blue) first to remove the speedometer, the 2 screws (cyan) to remove the clock/tacho cluster and the 3 screws (green) for the fuel/oil pres/econ/water temp cluster.

A precision flat tip screwdriver is used to remove the 3 screws holding the gauge face to the cluster:

7188822831_ee1b705839_z.jpg

The two clock needles were popped off by hand. Following the guide, on the reverse face, 5 screws were removed, 2 that hold the clock sub-assembly to the metal plate and 3 (in a triangular configuration) that hold the tachometer sub-assembly to the plate.

These are the two capacitors that cause slow or no clock movement:

7188822645_75582b41ce_z.jpg

They are de-soldered out and replaced with fresh 100uF 35V caps:

7374055004_ce18776373_z.jpg

Now this is why I mentioned the reference guide provided shows that the US version is different from Euro/Asian? version. If the pin (circled in red in the first photo above) was not de-soldered and the clock sub-assembly forced out after removing the two mounting screws, you will damage part of the circuit board where the metal ground pin is located (area in cyan):

7374489428_45d372939a.jpg

Fortunately I managed to repair the torn section by forming solder bridges across the 3 affected circuit traces. Finally some use of a misspent youth in DIY audio :)

Installation is the reverse. The 2 capacitors cost less than SGD2 so this is an excellent cheap and good repair to DIY! Of course some soldering knowledge is required which I believe most guys should have from technical classes in school.

ZoomButt.gif

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic