• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W126 DIY odo/tripmeter gear replacement

owm

ZoomButt.gif

I have been unable to monitor both my mileage and fuel consumption since getting Adala a month back as both the odometer and tripmeters were not running. The reason for this? The crappy gears made of plastic that had an averse reaction to the grease that MB used which caused them to soften and disintegrate over time:

7354384554_f93d1a5406.jpg

Culprits are designated E1, E2 and E3:

7169068219_e23d2b9b47.jpg

As referenced to in the guide I used:

http://www.odometergears.com/howto/Mercedes-Benz_Electronic_Odometer_Repair.pdf

These are the new gears that were purchased:

7354280478_5416e25bdc.jpg

E1 is the smallest one, E3 is the one with the red dot and E2 is the remaining one.

The new E1 (drive gear) installed:

7354279960_830fe7c124.jpg

IMPORTANT - Do follow the reference guide above on how to remove the old drive gear and the brass ferrule.

All gears mounted and lightly greased (new gears are made of acetal and will not become brittle like the OEM ones that were made of PU):

7169067807_54ce0f4d52.jpg

You will re-use two of the gears as mentioned in the guide. They are hidden behind the E3 and E2 gears:

7354279492_54b82a3c00.jpg

How to check if the gears are installed correctly is to turn each installed gear by hand and see if the trip and odo numbers move.

All assembled for another 20yr service!

7354279180_5d5e13cd1d.jpg

Hope this helps for fellow W126 owners who have this common problem! :)

7341297598_97c7140d08.jpg

1988 W126 300SE - Schwartz-Blau with grey velour interior/trim

ZoomButt.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up with pics. Thks for sharing. This model brings back fond memories...family used to have a 280SEL W216 many years ago. Which model is yours?

Hi there,

It's in my signature :D 300SE, M103 engine, 4 speed slushbox. It's my favorite MB model in terms of daily driveability, ease of maintenance, parts abundance and build quality/reliability :)

ZoomButt.gif

Nope, don't like the disco lights of modern dash, will clash with the rest of the cabin :)

Don't think DRL will fit with the look I am trying to achieve with this car too. Prefer to keep it stock to showcase its innate elegance and timelessness. As you can tell, I am not a very trendy or fashionable fellow :D

ZoomButt.gif