• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Be aware of K&N air-filter

Guest angela

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest angela

I just put back in the stock air-filter as a precaution.

With KNN, my exhaust sounded more sportier, louder and bassier. Now like normal with stock filter.

Will query further with KNN in US on this issue.

Hope Kevin of MBM can clarify with us.

Guest jenvid

Hi Chrizz

This will be the responds from K&N if you do email them.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

A HUGE Thank You to thomasysl! ;) You saved the day.

Very useful and great information. Makes me respect K&N even more.

My K&N is going back into my car ;D

Chrizz.. I gonna make u take it off again... hahaha...

This happened to my Harrier. Drop in an K&N with a bit more oil cuz the stk ones looks extremely pale... After abt close to 10mths, the vehicle started to chuckle at idling, a lot of jerking at low speed.

At one stage it was so bad it almost stalled. Hauled the vehicle back to the PI garage & complain abt vehicle. Mech took half a day to check & came back to me to say the MAF was fully coated with oil, together with the wall lining... They had to thoroughly cleaned all the red oil out before returning the car to me.

Lucky at no cost lor...

From the K&N video, there is a flaw I think. Measuring the air intake at a dyno doesnt factor the air spd ramming down the air-intake. I dont buy the 2 mph airflow when the car is 70mph. Stick your head out of the window at that spd and u get what I mean. U watch the latest season of Top gear on the bugatti veron hitting 400km/h ? how much air it is breathing, u know what I mean.

anyway, my frens in the race genre tells me they de-oil the filters.

My W203 going to Oz soon. Will take out my 4mth old K&N n inspect....

BTW if u read the MBWorld thread, like I said, the stk supercharger air filter is very well designed to let the charger breathe and still keep the dust out.

Anyway if u are hardcore, de-oil lor... 3 yrs change car... :laugh:

Guest angela

jenvid ]

Hi Chrizz

This will be the responds from K&N if you do email them.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

A HUGE Thank You to thomasysl! wrote:

Chrizz.. I gonna make u take it off again... hahaha...

This happened to my Harrier. Drop in an K&N with a bit more oil cuz the stk ones looks extremely pale... After abt close to 10mths, the vehicle started to chuckle at idling, a lot of jerking at low speed.

At one stage it was so bad it almost stalled. Hauled the vehicle back to the PI garage & complain abt vehicle. Mech took half a day to check & came back to me to say the MAF was fully coated with oil, together with the wall lining... They had to thoroughly cleaned all the red oil out before returning the car to me.

Lucky at no cost lor...

From the K&N video, there is a flaw I think. Measuring the air intake at a dyno doesnt factor the air spd ramming down the air-intake. I dont buy the 2 mph airflow when the car is 70mph. Stick your head out of the window at that spd and u get what I mean. U watch the latest season of Top gear on the bugatti veron hitting 400km/h ? how much air it is breathing, u know what I mean.

anyway, my frens in the race genre tells me they de-oil the filters.

My W203 going to Oz soon. Will take out my 4mth old K&N n inspect....

BTW if u read the MBWorld thread, like I said, the stk supercharger air filter is very well designed to let the charger breathe and still keep the dust out.

Anyway if u are hardcore, de-oil lor... 3 yrs change car... :laugh:

Tks for the extra info. Still love the KNN.

How to de-oil?

With the KNN, there's really better throttle response & exhaust note as i compared to driving with stock filter yesterday. When you step more, the power from the car feels better also.

Anyways some Merc owners in US using KNN for 30K,60K mileage bo tai chi. Hmmmm....wonder what's up, man???!!!

Guest jenvid

Anway I think as long as u dun over oil. shld be fine lah.

Mine is a C200, barely noticeable diff.

My previous R170 non kompressor, diff was day & night. Top spd went from 203 to 213 ;D

Guest angela

How to de-oil? Hhmmm.....U can use toilet paper to dab the filter(When new).

My workshop people always do is wash as in with clean water(no shampoo is needed) then blow dry(for 2nd use). Frankly i have use KNN for the past 4-5 years on my car. No problem leh. hehe...

Cheers...

Guest angela

Personally, I do have some bad experience with K&N filter in my GC8 previously too, engine cannot idle properly after sometime; later realised the 'oil' from the filter element has soiled my air flow sensors. >:(

Guest angela

i think these filters r a bit dodgy. i have installed it in my previous ride... in the beginning sounds fantasic, even thought it gives extra horses, but after some months, engine knocking at idling, stalled... blah blah... so now i dun want to play with engine mod.