• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Introducing JBL MS-2

Guest kkkhoo

Guest kkkhoo

[attachment=208]MS_2_001_dv480x480.png[/attachment]

I came across the latest Harman JBL portable DSP MS-2 while researching the MS-8 on the internet. It is a "baby" version of the MS-8 at a fraction of the cost. I read so many stellar reviews and feedback that I got poisoned instantaneously and immediately purchased from Amazon.com with express courier. It is USD199 excluding shipping (between USD17 to 35 depending on standard, expedited or express). I received it within 2 days and have been mucking around with it for about 30 minutes this afternoon and trying out different calibration positions and settings, I must say that I am most impressed with the improvement. My ride audio is currently stock Audio 20 with 8 speakers. I managed to listen to 2 rides with JBL MS-8 (1 E250 and 1 ML..hehe courtesy of unker) and for the price you pay,

I recommend it as a value for money audio upgrade. Of course it cannot compare with the MS-8, as it's only a 2 channel autotune.

The MS-2 is inserted in the signal chain between a portable player (iPod) and an auxiliary input jack. There's a microphone in the top, so you plug it in, hold it about 6 to 8 inches at eye level in front of your face, press and hold "Setup" wait about 5 seconds for the sweeps and it tunes the car. From trial and error, the best improvement for me, was tilting the unit at about 40 degree angle from vertical. To get the best result, I found that trial and error using different bass, treble, volume settings to suit your personal taste works best than using the autotune. Switch off any EQ settings on the ipod and volume can be set to max.

For more technical explanation, below is an extract from what I read from an expert review:

The target curve is very similar to MS-8's. One setup is complete, you can adjust the level of the bass shelf in three steps (Bass control), the width of the transition band between the bass boost and the midrange (Impact control), the high frequency tilt (Treble) and you can turn time alignment on and off (Image). The defeat button turns off all of the processing.

It's powered by a cigarette lighter adapter (6V) and audio from the portable player turns it on and off.

It doesn't use the same algorithm as MS-8. This one uses an FIR filter that's partitioned. there are 256 points below 1K and 256 points above 1k. That provides a little better than 4Hz resolution in the bass and about 75Hz resolution above 1kHz. It runs at 48k, so time alignment is adjusted in 1/4" (one sample) steps.

In addition, there's an elliptical filter at 40Hz that can be engaged and disengaged. When it's engaged, it eliminates everything below about 40Hz, which is great for cars with small speakers and no subs. Out of the box, the filter is engaged. You press and hold the Bass button to disengage it. It can be engaged or disengaged either before or after setup.

Once setup is complete, the coefficients are written to flash, so it will remember the settings when the power is off. It doesn't remember more than one car, but setup takes about 5 seconds, so moving it from one car to another is simple. The power connector is a standard barrel connector, so finding an AC/DC power supply is easy--Radio Shack. You can use it at home, on your PC speakers or just about anywhere. It's about the same size as a big bar of soap. "

Here's a link of the manufacturer's product page:

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/product/productDetails.jsp?pid=MS 2

Hope this gives yet another not too expensive poison for those who have stock audio and are undecided on ICE upgrades or are somewhat satisfied with stock audio but jsut looking to add a little more oopmh to stock sound stage.

This will be my new toy for the time being....while I actively hunt for 14x HK speakers to go with the MS-8. At least it keeps me happy......but for how long?? :unsure:

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Guest mvdennis

great review! i saw this at Wee Heng (Serangoon) when i was installing the MS-8 ... but what turned me off was the sheer size of this thing and the many wires attached to it .. since my aux cable was in the glove box and i needed the ipod near me at the gear stick, i decided this is something i cannot go with - though this would have been most cost economical to boost the sound of my ipod.

anyway, for those who are really excited about the MS-8 for a cheaper option then buying COMAND or other original merc upgrades, the MS-8 comes with aux input where you can directly hook up your ipod to (so it makes sense for you to install the MS-8 under your seat.

thanks mate!