• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MSL-8 or...??

Guest kkkhoo

Hi , I am a newbie to this marque and this forum and would like to ask some questions and seek all valueable advise on the best direction to take:

1. MSL-8 w/active sub or complete speaker+amp upgrade ?(DSP: Pioneer P99, Front : Focal Utopia 165WR-C + Be tweeter w/2x Simfoni amp, Rear: Rainbow component + tweeter w/Focal amp & Passive 12"Rainbow Sub w/ amp. P/S: Most of the stuff is from my previous ride, and i need to top up extra $3-4K for new carpentry, cables, Focal Utopia & workmanship. The difference between the two options are of course $ difference (approx. +$1.5K for complete upgrade vs. MSL-9 w/ Active Sub) & painful complete dismantling of brand new ride (sob!sob!)

2. If MSL-8, can I find in Singapore original HK Logic 7 active sub, centre speaker, rear surround or matching OEM/JBL that fit car mounting? (without modification)

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow kkkhoo, you have some really cool stuff there...

The probable price that you will probably spent on a original HK Logic 7 set up would surpass putting those babies into your car with new carpentry and cables.

With a good tuner, u probably would have an above average system there...

Guest kepiting1sg
Hi , I am a newbie to this marque and this forum and would like to ask some questions and seek all valueable advise on the best direction to take:

1. MSL-8 w/active sub or complete speaker+amp upgrade ?(DSP: Pioneer P99, Front : Focal Utopia 165WR-C + Be tweeter w/2x Simfoni amp, Rear: Rainbow component + tweeter w/Focal amp & Passive 12"Rainbow Sub w/ amp. P/S: Most of the stuff is from my previous ride, and i need to top up extra $3-4K for new carpentry, cables, Focal Utopia & workmanship. The difference between the two options are of course $ difference (approx. +$1.5K for complete upgrade vs. MSL-9 w/ Active Sub) & painful complete dismantling of brand new ride (sob!sob!)

2. If MSL-8, can I find in Singapore original HK Logic 7 active sub, centre speaker, rear surround or matching OEM/JBL that fit car mounting? (without modification)

Thanks.

Imho

U can upgrade to HK and order all the speakers, cables and wiring loom but it's as good as tearing up your whole ride including the roof lining to retrofit HK.

I've given up due to age & no more stamina! :P

U can read & know roughly what U need to retrofit HK for your ride!

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/vehicles/c-class/

IMHO it will be easier to use MS-8 as a processor & use the pre outs for your amps with 3 way front & a sub for a proper staging for your ICE unless U wanna imitate HK Logic 7 then U might wanna run a 5.1 or 7.1 channel systems.

Thanks for your opinions....you are correct that going for 100% of original HK L7 is as painful and ordeal as going for the non MS-8 option...oouch!!

Since there I'm going for the end -Feb meetup, I hope I can look-see & hear other rides with MS-8 and sub, before finally making up my mind.

I've been poisoned since me Lexus days and already feeling the itch to ICE up as well as do some performance tuning (which

I will post in the performace upgrade section.

Money no enuff leh....but yet so much to do!!

Guest bbwannabe

haha... sharing my experience for original hk upgrade for my w211.

quite painless leh but there are serious limitation.

pro:

1. the staging is perfect (imo). tuned for the model right out of the box

2. nice sound upgrade

3. added logic 7 surround sound processing (have always liked pro logic processing)

con:

1. the upgrade components are FIXED. w211's hk upgrade has a lacking bass

2. tons of thing to change - audio gateway, all speakers, compatible headset (audio 20 can?), rerun a lot of wires through the center wiring tunnel underneath the arm rest.

Guest mvdennis

wah that's a very very elaborate setup liao ... yea i suggest you listen to the MS-8 first then decide if you really need to put all that equipment in. in fact, you sell off 1 pair of your Focals you can cover 50% of the MS-8 cost liao ...

:lol: