• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

sound proofing, noise reduction

Guest omega7

Guest omega7

Hi All,

just want to check anyone knows how much sound proofing /insulation material is on the original B class?

and where they are? I mean - roof, floor pan, wheel arches etc.,

Although its not really that noisy but i think the sound proofing level can be improved

Anyone has done any wheel arch sound proofing or sound clad to reduce road noise?

Will the bonnet lining help much too?

Does anyone feel the engine sound is intrusive? I mean into the cabin

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mvdennis

i agree noise insulation is poor, especially the rear wheel arches .. other than the rear wheel arches, the rest should be relatively ok. just focus on that area. You can go into any car accessories shop for a quote

• 2 weeks later...

hi, just curious, why only rear wheel arches, I thought all the wheel arches will need sound proofing?

Also, in this case is it better to just have the sound clad treatement on the whole undercarriage because its simpler and does not invole removing anything?

I would also like to ask if it is almost certain that low profile tyres in general will be noiser than normal non low profile tyres.

Because i read it somewhere that low profile tyre walls are stifffer ( because low profile ) not much room between rim and road , not allowed to flex too much, hence cannot absorb the vibration too much from road unevenness.Therefore more noise.

Hope seniors here can advise if this is true

and also the most cost effective way to reduce noise.

Thanks

Guest mvdennis

yes low profile tyres would typically be a little noiser and the ride will also be harsher ... what size rims are you on and what's the tyres you're using?

as for sound proofing, i'm not sure what you mean by sound clad treatment on the whole undercarriage ... it certainly looks like a much more elaborate job that just stuffing the wheel arches with sound proofing materials! Lol!!

I mentioned rear wheel arches because i personally feel a lot of road noise comes from the back then say, compared to the front. on Benzworld forum, most people also agree the soundproofing of the car is weak on the rear. Then again, it depends on your own tolerance on sound/noise.

Let us know the optiosn you're pursuing!

• 1 year later...

yeah i'm having problem with the noise and comfort issue. Considering to either soundproof, change rim (currently 19"...), change tyre or even changing suspension just to improve on this areas.

Can any kind soul advise if soundproofing really helps to reduce noise particularly on motorcycles!!!

I actually love my rims, therefore contemplating whether should just change to quiet tyres (currently on Sports Conti CSC 5) or downgrade rims altogther...

Currently comfort level really below the tolerable level hai...

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i'm having problem with the noise and comfort issue. Considering to either soundproof, change rim (currently 19"...), change tyre or even changing suspension just to improve on this areas.

Can any kind soul advise if soundproofing really helps to reduce noise particularly on motorcycles!!!

I actually love my rims, therefore contemplating whether should just change to quiet tyres (currently on Sports Conti CSC 5) or downgrade rims altogther...

Currently comfort level really below the tolerable level hai...

Wow you're on 19"! that should be sweet looking. Care to share a pic of your B with the rims?