• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Self-Import Merc

Guest Raskie

Guest angela

Self importing need to go thru quite a tedious logistics. For a merc, i would say y dun u go for PI. Let them earn alittle and do the work for u.

But still i have friends do importing themselves. If u have the time. Y not!

Sorry, no lobans for u.

Cheers...

Guest Raskie

yes i know it's a tedious process but only for those models that are not on our market ... then will need exhaust tests etc

but for models here, it's not so tedious .. well, at least that's what I hope.

i believe self-import can save as much as $15K compared to PI's price .. of course not the Jap cars but the up-market conti cars.

Guest jenvid

Assuming you buy a PDIed car....

Well u will need the help of car dealer or PI or Forwarder who have a large banker's guarantee with Customs to declare the import permit. 99.999% your car will be tagged by Custom for inspection, assuming coming in by container.

You will need a ramp down to bring the car else land the container on the grd. or go to warehouse unloading bay.

Arrange & fetch Custom officer for inspection.

Then bring to LTA for homologation.

Warranty... Need to write to Daimler Chrysler to get warranty arrangement with C&C...Not sure C&C will honour anything. C&C make abt $60k per car based on LTA's cost of import paper. But I guess actual may be less.

Cost of PDI etc etc.

The paperwork not so bad, the logistics kills...

Help my fren bring in a manual E46 BMW 320 once...gave up at the freight forwarder part... Not many forwarders BG is so large.

Also u need to pay up front all the taxes & COE. No bank loans cuz u aint got no car... guess now may not be such a big issue.

Also need to import a car under a company else Import permit no go...

My fren had a paper tuggle with BMW & Performance motor for warranty issues.. In the end Performance motor obliged under the condition of it being service by Performane motor.

But then the 320 was meant for the track... ::)

Guest jenvid

Actually not so bad lah... try n grab hold of Cougar Logistics to do the port clearance lor... Just pay to get it thru. Shldnt cost u more than 1k I think.

FF tow ~ $120

Fetch Custom for inspection ~ $60 to 100

Import Permit ~ $25

Ramp down charge ~ $50 to 100 (drive the car out of container)

Labour to unchoke the car ~ $100

Tow to LTA for homologation ~ ? (never got that far...)

Above cost may have increase up to 40%... these costs are 3yrs old...

Only prob is the cash for Road Tax, Custom tax, parf tax, GST & COE & the company to register the import.

Guest Raskie

marky - yeah, it sounded kinda tough .. but having spent some time researching ... it's not an issue to get the car from overseas, clear the cargo there, get shipping insurance and putting it on the ship ...

the real issue is when it gets here ... i think need to get a PSA-registered shipping/log firm who has access to portnet to clear the cargo, transport it from ship and to desired location.

SO maybe will try to find out more wrt Jenvid's suggestion below on contacting one of the local log firm for help ... of course for a fee. need to find out more wrt financing too ... kekekeke

the markup by both PI/Ad are simply staggering esp for Conti cars in my opinion ... but can't blame AD for their expenses in marketing/branding etc ..

Spoke to DC before ... they say unless it is controlled item (eg) car keys, C&C has to provide service to repair all DC cars although C&C can drag their feet. :'(

Guest jenvid

A note on PSA-registered thingy, it is an urban myth....Too long to elaborate... My fren's BMW finally cleared the port after close to 2wks...

It was staged at Keppel Distripark for Custom Clearance/inspection then towed to LTA for homologation.

In the end he had to use the company to register the import, did more paperwork to redo invoice etc & got financing for the car via the company after they paid for him all the upfront taxes...

I think no bank will loan u any cash until they see the 'log card' but the card comes after u clear all the taxes. Chicken & egg lor...

I wish you all the best.

Guest Raskie

:o

wahahaha .. looks like another PI/AD will earn money from me then .... :'(

Anyway, thanks jenvid .. for the info !!! even in today's electornic world , there's still lotsa red tapes and 'paper-work' !!!

just to share, once I was in LTA to do car transfer ..

Went to the counter and gave them all the document, the lady asked for the original Log Card and not photocopied one.

I said, it's with the finance coy"

She replied "but I need it to verify"

I said "I'm sure if u type my name/nric or car number in your computer right in front of you, the display will show u the details you need"

She replied, "yes, but I still need to see original log card"

I said, "if i report the original log card lost, do i come here, show u my nric and u will print a new one for me ?"

She said "yes"

I repleid " Then ?"

She retorted "I still need to see the original Log Card - this is a standard process"

geez ....

::)

Guest jenvid

Anyway, thanks jenvid .. for the info !!! even in today's electornic world , there's still lotsa red tapes and 'paper-work' !!!

A lot of the paperwork in the Freight & Logistics business are purely pure profit for the service provider...

Terminal Handling Charge - re-class to urban myth abt 15yrs back I think.

Import Permit - actual cost... well almost zilch...Maybe the cost of that 1 man keying into the system... Each permit takes 2min to process...

etc etc...