• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

POPPING Sound as a result of ECO Start/Stop Function

Guest devilish8

Guest devilish8

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my front stock speakers to a pair of 2 way Dynaudio Esotec 252s, used a Genesis Stereo 100 amp to power the tweeters and a Genesis Dual Mono amp for the 7" woofers. I then added an Italian 12" Phase Evo Aliante SI Subwoofer and powered it with a AudioBank 1500.1 Monoblock Amp. All these are then hooked up to a JBL MS-8 sound proccessor.

I'm pretty happy with the results that I'm getting except for one pretty annoying problem...my 2011 E250 Cabrio comes standard with a default ECO start/stop function. This is causing a popping sound whenever the brakes are depressed and released, activating the engine Start/Stop function which was meant to save fuel. I did not experiece any pop sound when I switch off the engine physically. Because the car starts off in ECO mode by default, I have to physically switch off the ECO mode whenever I use the car, or I will have a popping sound everytime the ECO kicks in.

Are any of you guys facing the same problem? Is there a way to get around this?

Alternatively, is there a way to remove the ECO start/stop function from the default settings?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Guest vincemerz

devilish8 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my front stock speakers to a pair of 2 way Dynaudio Esotec 252s, used a Genesis Stereo 100 amp to power the tweeters and a Genesis Dual Mono amp for the 7" woofers. I then added an Italian 12" Phase Evo Aliante SI Subwoofer and powered it with a AudioBank 1500.1 Monoblock Amp. All these are then hooked up to a JBL MS-8 sound proccessor.

I'm pretty happy with the results that I'm getting except for one pretty annoying problem...my 2011 E250 Cabrio comes standard with a default ECO start/stop function. This is causing a popping sound whenever the brakes are depressed and released, activating the engine Start/Stop function which was meant to save fuel. I did not experiece any pop sound when I switch off the engine physically. Because the car starts off in ECO mode by default, I have to physically switch off the ECO mode whenever I use the car, or I will have a popping sound everytime the ECO kicks in.

Alternatively, is there a way to remove the ECO start/stop function from the default settings?

mmm... i dont get the popping sound.. just that you will feel the engine restart quite irritating.

prpbably your hifi kinda linked to the engine power so got complications.

best advice is to off your eco before you move off.

basically on the recirculation button then quickly off eco.

Thats what i do. your drive will be more responsive.

btw ECO is a good thing for environment purposes cuts off CO2 emissions.

but ECO is bot good for driver comfort.

so depends. EU Countries they like to have social repsonsibility o=so they probably keep ECO on as they are environmentalist...

in short some things just got to give.

Dont look as ECO as irritating.

probably look at it as it gives you a chance to safe the earth when you feel like doing so ;>

Guest vincemerz

devilish8 wrote:

Hi Guys,

mmm... i dont get the popping sound.. just that you will feel the engine restart quite irritating.

prpbably your hifi kinda linked to the engine power so got complications.

best advice is to off your eco before you move off.

basically on the recirculation button then quickly off eco.

Thats what i do. your drive will be more responsive.

btw ECO is a good thing for environment purposes cuts off CO2 emissions.

but ECO is not good for driver comfort.

so depends. EU Countries they like to have social repsonsibility o=so they probably keep ECO on as they are environmentalist...

in short some things just got to give.

Dont look as ECO as irritating.

probably look at it as it gives you a chance to save the earth when you feel like doing so ;>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest busdriver

devilish8 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Bro, met u the other nite with my EVO X. Heard u selling the MS-8 and changing to the Audison?

Guest kepiting1sg

devilish8 wrote:

Yeah, JBL MS-8 any takers?

I am the Unker Karung Guni man - I take stuff by the kilo! :lol:

Who did your instals?

I was quoted an used set before for $800

PM me your price pls! or whatsapp 91777772 or sms +62811777772

If the price is...umm... ahem!!....I might be interested!

Guest jhun_4040

kepiting1sg wrote:

I am the Unker Karung Guni man - I take stuff by the kilo! :lol:

Who did your instals?

I was quoted an used set before for $800

PM me your price pls! or whatsapp 91777772 or sms +62811777772

If the price is...umm... ahem!!....I might be interested!

poison sia... poison

Guest busdriver

devilish8 wrote:

Did u add amps to your sound system? The popping started only after the addition of amps.

I got 4 amps in my setup. Was ok until I added the Alpine H800. After I replaced it with the MS-8 and added the capacitor, no more popping sound. I actually had an MS-8 from my Audi that I sold off at 650, then bought another one to replace the H800. Felt kind of stupid in the end. Was thinking if I can get one back for the same price, I don't mind putting it into my evo to salvage my useless kenwood head unit. How's the audison?