• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

B200

Guest sgmerc

Dear All,

I am eyeing at a used Y07 B200 from a dealer.

Can someone pls give me feedback about this car in terms of:

1. Fuel consumption

2. Power. I have a family of 5 (wife, me and 3 teenage kids). Is the 130+ hp enough for the car for daily drive on Sin roads and occasional drive up to KL, Malaysia

3. Any inherent issues with this model?

4. Is it a 5-speed or 6-speed auto?

5. Does it have an aux port for iPod?

6. Others

Thanks.

Hi,

I have experience with both the B170 & B200T. I think that the B200 would be the best middle-ground if you r looking for a family commute with adequate (just adequate!) performance and response. Nothing less in my opinion, if u don't like to be overtaken, even by Honda Fits! :-o .

The consumptn ard town should be around 9-10L/100km. An '07 model would have quite a high mileage, and in it's prime time for wear-n-tear component failure. Like engine mounts, shocks, belts and hoses and the infamous CVT belt tensioner (u get a metallic rattle when u step off fm start). It's all subjective to the unit u get of course, so test-drive n be alert to strange noises n vibrations etc. Also decide if u can get used to the driving position, the narrow windscreen and the WIDE turning circle.

'07 woul also mean that the C&C warranty would be over, so do set aside a budget maintenance. I'm not kidding. The B-class has got the HIGHEST service package cost on their menu, equal to the S-class charges.

It IS a good and v safe car for the family by all accounts, but go in w your eyes open!

sgmerc wrote:

arf--er,

Wow... Sounds kind of scary. I have owned an A190L before. It was one of the most beautiful cars I have ever owned.

Too bad I sold it. Missing it and so nostalgic... Sigh...

I had the W168 (A160) and I missed that car too :Cry:

• 4 months later...

Hi arf-er,

my ride is Y06 B200T.

Changed mounts, shockers etc last year. But metallic rattle still persists.

read abt infamous CVT belt tensioner (u get a metallic rattle when u step off fm start) below.

Care to offer some advice?

Guest mvdennis
Hi arf-er,

my ride is Y06 B200T.

Changed mounts, shockers etc last year. But metallic rattle still persists.

read abt infamous CVT belt tensioner (u get a metallic rattle when u step off fm start) below.

Care to offer some advice?

woah this is something i'll like to hear about too .... i've not had the metallic rattle yet (choy!!) and hopefully i won't kenna this problem so soon

• 3 weeks later...
Guest arf--er

Hi, mongyh

Oh, i had agt warranty on it ('08 B200T); so went in & fixed it.. dunno what they did, but solved. Also recently had an annoying G-R-O-A-N ing noise whenever i twirl the steering wheel + clack-clack freeplay when I jiggle the wheel. Think it's worn steering rack bal- joints or smth, went in n had it fixed (the groaning) but the clacking noise still remains. CSO tells me it's the sealed gearbox fault, and that it shld be changed wholesale but frankly, he doesn't seem to sound like he knows what he's talking abt!

Worse, it took more than 3 visits of diagnosis and a lay-up of about 3 days for the groaning-noise job... which is now back after 3 mths... :(

I will definitely go to an outside wksp once warranty expires cos i dun see much value or special expertise that i cannot get elsewhere...

But, otherwise, still luv'in it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mvdennis
Hi, mongyh

Oh, i had agt warranty on it ('08 B200T); so went in & fixed it.. dunno what they did, but solved. Also recently had an annoying G-R-O-A-N ing noise whenever i twirl the steering wheel + clack-clack freeplay when I jiggle the wheel. Think it's worn steering rack bal- joints or smth, went in n had it fixed (the groaning) but the clacking noise still remains. CSO tells me it's the sealed gearbox fault, and that it shld be changed wholesale but frankly, he doesn't seem to sound like he knows what he's talking abt!

Worse, it took more than 3 visits of diagnosis and a lay-up of about 3 days for the groaning-noise job... which is now back after 3 mths... :(

I will definitely go to an outside wksp once warranty expires cos i dun see much value or special expertise that i cannot get elsewhere...

But, otherwise, still luv'in it :)

hey lucky you still have the agent warranty mate!

and you should just make sure that you grab them by the throat and solve the problems for you BEFORE you have to spend money yourself to have it all fixed. Especially if he says it's the gearbox that's faulty, you definitely don't want that to be your expense to solve!!!!

All the best mate, and happy you're enjoying it :)