• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

GPS interfernce

Guest jtang

Just fitted a Blackbox recorder that's mounted on my front windscreen. this recorder comes with GPS that stamps time, date & google map for position. As this is mounted above my comand unit, took me awhile to realise that it's interfering with my comang nav. I found it strange that the tracking of my car was offroad quite often in my nav, & then tried switching off the blackbox which immediately corrects it.

Bros, pls note that having 2 GPS antenae too close to each other will not work. :Cry:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jtang wrote:

Just fitted a Blackbox recorder that's mounted on my front windscreen. this recorder comes with GPS that stamps time, date & google map for position. As this is mounted above my comand unit, took me awhile to realise that it's interfering with my comang nav. I found it strange that the tracking of my car was offroad quite often in my nav, & then tried switching off the blackbox which immediately corrects it.

Bros, pls note that having 2 GPS antenae too close to each other will not work. :Cry:

Why did you have 2 GPS? :shocked:

Guest kepiting1sg

Doc,

Not too sure abt there!

I had 2 gps in my W212 but I've to say that the Comand antennae was in the centre of the dash board & the Garmin gvn53 antennae was located on the bottom of the left side A pillar. I had no problem with them.

Similarly U can try out with a portable Garmin gps & put it near your Comand antennae to see any interference!

I also want to instal a surveillance camera.

We can talk this coming Sat!

Guest apple088

jtang wrote:

What brand did u get? Got Review?

kepiting1sg wrote:

Doc,

Not too sure abt there!

I had 2 gps in my W212 but I've to say that the Comand antennae was in the centre of the dash board & the Garmin gvn53 antennae was located on the bottom of the left side A pillar. I had no problem with them.

Similarly U can try out with a portable Garmin gps & put it near your Comand antennae to see any interference!

I also want to instal a surveillance camera.

We can talk this coming Sat!

Ya...i thot so too. I agree that having one antenae at one side of the A pillar will solve the problem. Right now my GPS antenae is at the middle which sits directly below the blackbox. Will ask Greg to shift my antenae.

apple088 wrote:

What brand did u get? Got Review?

I got this blackbox call Caldrox. It's korean, but pretty good in it's features. The resolution is awesome for day & nite. I have 2 cameras for front & back. It also has AV ouput which I hook it up to redundant reverse monitor that C&C placed on my windscreen since I'm now using the Comand.

Will try to post some video for demo later.

jtang wrote:

Kai bro, one GPS is for navigation, the other GPS is for the blackbox which stamps date, time & location.

Why do you need the blackbox to stamp date, time and location? :confused:

kai wrote:

Why do you need the blackbox to stamp date, time and location? :confused:

Haha...bro, you must meet up with us at the next gtg. There's a lot poison to give you:becky:

jtang wrote:

Here's a video that was taken today. For demo only...went to Stamford Tyres in Macpherson to top up Nitrogen.

ivMEIlOo8aI&feature

Why do you want to take video of your journey? :confused:

kai wrote:

:becky::becky::becky: can someone help me here? Vincemerz, Unker, Lightning, Blackmercs, 6008, DES...anyone!

Guest NewC180

kai wrote:

So if you suay suay langa and it is not your fault, you have a video evidence to prove that you are innocent, machiam buy insurance like that. Sounds logical?

jtang wrote:

:becky::becky::becky: can someone help me here? Vincemerz, Unker, Lightning, Blackmercs, 6008, DES...anyone!

Doc, how much you paid for the kimchi set? I bought a super cheap PRC set in HK couple of months back at less than S$100. Has date and time stamp also, but no google maps. Works pretty well considering the price I've paid.

NewC180 wrote:

Doc, how much you paid for the kimchi set? I bought a super cheap PRC set in HK couple of months back at less than S$100. Has date and time stamp also, but no google maps. Works pretty well considering the price I've paid..

Paid $560 for the whole package....front & back cams.

Guest apple088

jtang wrote:

Paid $560 for the whole package....front & back cams.

i almost bought the same set... They wire up to the ACC direct by cutting wires. Warranty void with CnC. I want it to be wired to the Batt or fused box but they don't want to do it as they had no knowledge. (more troublesome i suppose)

A bit scary. If the cam short circuit it might damage the car .. cannot start etc.

I was looking for a 2 Ch model.

Either ObserveR ($399) or CAIDROX ($560) exclude install.

FYI CAIDROX the real cam resolution is better than the front cam.

The problem with 2 ch models is a 1.3 Mega pixel CCD with frame of of 15 fps instead of 30 fps.

That is y the car plate no cannot be seen clearly.

Current technology does not have a 5 mega pixel with 30 fps with HD mode at a price point of $500

The china ones have better resolution but does not look as good.

Am considering to install 2x camera instead of a 2 ch model.

Blackvue and Honeywell (new) worth the consideration. It comes to about $520~$550 for 2 sets. Both nice design unlike the China ones which comes in the shape of hamburger or milo can.

apple088 wrote:

i almost bought the same set... They wire up to the ACC direct by cutting wires. Warranty void with CnC. I want it to be wired to the Batt or fused box but they don't want to do it as they had no knowledge. (more troublesome i suppose)

A bit scary. If the cam short circuit it might damage the car .. cannot start etc.

I was looking for a 2 Ch model.

Either ObserveR ($399) or CAIDROX ($560) exclude install.

FYI CAIDROX the real cam resolution is better than the front cam.

The problem with 2 ch models is a 1.3 Mega pixel CCD with frame of of 15 fps instead of 30 fps.

That is y the car plate no cannot be seen clearly.

Current technology does not have a 5 mega pixel with 30 fps with HD mode at a price point of $500

The china ones have better resolution but does not look as good.

Am considering to install 2x camera instead of a 2 ch model.

Blackvue and Honeywell (new) worth the consideration. It comes to about $520~$550 for 2 sets. Both nice design unlike the China ones which comes in the shape of hamburger or milo can.

My installer didn't cut any ignition wire, but he tapped the cig lighter wire to hot wire. It can be done!