• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Cannot stand the stock speakers anymore :Cry:

Guest fuhyong

Guest busdriver

It all started with the ms-8 again for me. I did the ms-8 in my audi with stock speakers. Went to my e250 then did the same. Now spent >10k already on this setup. Started the same with my Evo X. Now just replaced my 3rd set of speakers on that car this week. I thot I quit but it's starting again.... maybe u will start again. haha. Pleasure island ? Sentosa?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cybertaz
Hi,

Changing your speakers alone will make it worse. The stock amps cannot drive a good pair of aftermarket speakers well. Stock speakers are mostly running 2ohms whereas the aftermarket ones run 4ohms. You will need apron double the power to drive it. I went thru that route and ended up adding amps to make it better. End of the day, you can select a cheaper alternative by either adding amp to your stock speakers first then decide if you want to change speakers later. If your car has Harman Kardon stock, I suggest just add amplifier to your front speakers first and see how. Alternatively if you don't have HK stock, you may consider adding the JBL MS-8 to your car. If you go down this route, you will probably need to install the rear effect speakers to fully reap the benefits of you MS-8. There should be an empty space for you to add these. For me, I added 2 midrange into the rear. After that, if you are still not happy, then change speakers and add amp at one go. Should be happy if the end result is tuned properly. Can PM me if you wanna see what I've done to mine. I agree, stock hifi sucks. Anyway, I have an E250cab. Collected in March and just finished setting up my ICE after 4 mths of trial and error.

Cheers!

Are there any aftermarket component speakers that will match the stock amp nicely? I just want a decent balanced stereo sound, no need sub. I'm listening mostly to jazz vocals. I have used Rainbow SLX265 for 5 years in my previous car's stock amp (LGT's McIntosh) and I'm quite pleased with it. Not sure if it can suit Audio 20's amp power. Appreciate any advice here. Thanks!

Guest kepiting1sg

Are there any aftermarket component speakers that will match the stock amp nicely? I just want a decent balanced stereo sound, no need sub. I'm listening mostly to jazz vocals. I have used Rainbow SLX265 for 5 years in my previous car's stock amp (LGT's McIntosh) and I'm quite pleased with it. Not sure if it can suit Audio 20's amp power. Appreciate any advice here. Thanks!

I understand you have not took delivery of your ride.

imho, listen to your audio 20 1st, then see how you find the sound.

Nowadays stock audio systems are much better than years ago!

My last 5 rides over the last 3 years I have not done up the stock audio system

though I've been an ICE enthuasiast for more than 2 decades.

Guest Cybertaz

I understand you have not took delivery of your ride.

imho, listen to your audio 20 1st, then see how you find the sound.

Nowadays stock audio systems are much better than years ago!

My last 5 rides over the last 3 years I have not done up the stock audio system

though I've been an ICE enthuasiast for more than 2 decades.

Thanks for your advice and it is certainly qualified given your experience in ICE. I have not checked out the stock audio and have assumed it will sound lifeless.

Guest kepiting1sg

Thanks for your advice and it is certainly qualified given your experience in ICE. I have not checked out the stock audio and have

assumed it will sound lifeless.

No doubt with the Audio 20 you will not have those deep low Hz where U can count the bass chit liap chit liap ;)

Sound stage not too bad though not focus centre & as wide as your wing mirrors or as deep as your windscreen wipers....kekeke :)

Clarity not bad lah unless your ears are quite discerning & spent hrs on the road.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cybertaz

Finally collected my new ride. As you said, stock audio 20 is not too shabby but the bass is not punchy and mid bass gets muddy sometimes. Trebles sound warm and sweet though. I'm thinking to change the front speakers that the stock amp can drive efficiently. I goggled and found Infiniti Kappa or Polk Audio seems to be suitable for my needs (being 2 ohms). Appreciate any advice and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wesel

Hi,

:woohoo: i'm just wonder can i use the audio20 as a head unit, then change a set of component speaker, adding 1 sub woofer and 2 amps for my W204 2008 model?

Thanks

Guest kepiting1sg
Hi,

:woohoo: i'm just wonder can i use the audio20 as a head unit, then change a set of component speaker, adding 1 sub woofer and 2 amps for my W204 2008 model?

Thanks

IMHO

Many ways to skin the cat depending on budget and expctations.

1) simple way to find amp/amps that accept a high level input from your Audio 20 HU to drive your speakers/sub/subs

2) Get a Hi-Lo converter to feed the RCA signat to your amps to drive your speakers/subs

3) Get a Hi-Lo Converter, Processor & build your sound system from there

4) Get a MS-8 and connect your amps/speakers/sub/subs

Rp2 worth :P

Guest benico
Hi,

Thanks

My advice is to go with MS-8 and then decide if u wanna go further...

Guest kepiting1sg
and if anyone wants a lowly priced ORION 4004 amp and a Clarion preamp, i have them for sale!

:P :evil: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Orion must go with Orion! :P

Unker got a Orion S1200d for sale!

1 x 1200 WRMS @ 1 ohm