• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Undecided - Z4 or SLK

Guest z33

Dear All,

New to this forum.

I was set on getting a used Z4 but there aren't a lot of good examples around the past few months. Supply seemed to have dried up. So I started thinking about getting a used SLK. I'm planning to use these rides for 12 mths only.

I know this is a merc-forum but would still appreciate some impartial feedback on my concerns :)

1. The SLK200 seems a little underpowered...

2. The face-lift version is due out middle of this year, and I'm concerned about the resale value of the current models. After a year, when I try to sell off my car, the price would get hurt badly...

Appreciate your opinions. TIA!

Cheers,

Z33

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SgLaKsa

Dear All,

New to this forum.

I was set on getting a used Z4 but there aren't a lot of good examples around the past few months. Supply seemed to have dried up. So I started thinking about getting a used SLK. I'm planning to use these rides for 12 mths only.

I know this is a merc-forum but would still appreciate some impartial feedback on my concerns :)

2. The face-lift version is due out middle of this year, and I'm concerned about the resale value of the current models. After a year, when I try to sell off my car, the price would get hurt badly...

Cheers,

Z33

Actually it all depends on what you want. As for me, i've chosen SLK b'cos of its brand (its a Mercedes :P), its ultra cool style (its equipped with head turning device ;)) and its hard-top (Z4 is soft-top).

In your first concern as stated, you want power and performance, i think its Z4. SLK200's century sprint is 8.3secs, dunno abt Z4.

In your second concern, its about depreciation and i guess SLK200's depreciation is higher than Z4 even without the effect of the new facelift. OMV is less than $40k for an SLK which cost almost $200k, my friend just bought his BMW 3 series at $130800 and his OMV is already $42k. So i guess a Z4's OMV should easily be above $50k. I guess you'll lose lesser with Z4 ;D

Bros,

Thanks for the quality responses!

The 2.5 Z4 century sprint is around 7+ secs.

I always wondered why the SLK generally retails for a higher price even when its OMV is much lower!?

The Z4 OMV is higher than the SLK200 because it is a 2.5litre vs a 2.0L (1.9?) so its not really an apple to apple comparison. The 2.2 Z4 (which PML does not bring into SG) is a fairer comparison but in SG, we have no choice but to compare the 2.5L vs SLK200. But you are right SGLaksa, the Z4 retails for a lower price and enjoys the higher OMV compared to the SLK200. In that respect, the loss on resale should be lower. Having said that, SLK enjoys a higher body value (coz of metal top) compared to the Z4 if we consider export scenarios.

Kompressor, yes I'm aware of the mod potential but I would like to keep my engine stock if possible. I'm happy modding other stuff of course! ;D Out of interest, how much is the Kleeman kit?

Saw that lovely SLK350 with AMG kits. Like it but the roadtax is a killer. (My last ride was also 3.5L so I had enough of paying LTA) Also, these higher end specced cars will suffer greater depn than the standard SLK200s I suspect given I'm going to drive it for only 12mths. What's the mileage on it does anyone know? The ad didn't publish, I suspect its going to be high...

There's another SLK280 being sold privately through AutoConcept. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Z

Guest Raskie

So I started thinking about getting a used SLK. I'm planning to use these rides for 12 mths only.

if u plan to use for max 1 yr, i wld have thot the power makes no diff.

Dear All,

New to this forum.

Cheers,

Z33

well , SLK200 is indeed underpower as compared with Z4

but just as Raskie has said, for me, if i'm planning to use a car for a year, than i will get a car which will fetch a higher resale value.

somemore, lesser road tax (1.8L to 2.5L) meaning better FC.

hmmm SLK280 is also good choice!

Thanks for all the responses bros.

Will keep looking out for good deals on both cars. Will firm up by end Feb latest. If I don't find a Z4, will probably go with the SLK.

Cheers,

Z

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Need a bit more help. My search is on-going.

Recently, saw an SLK 280. My better half likes it. I'm ok with it but as you know, my heart still prefers the Z4 but I don't deny the SLK is a sexy beast in the flesh! Need to change the wheels and slap a nice bodykit on! 8)

I understand there are not many 280s in the mkt, would resale values plummet when I decide to sell it off 1 year from now? Also, the facelift is out this year. I figured true hardcore guys would go for the 350 and the mass owners will go for the 200. That leaves the 280 as 'an in-between'. 350 is out of my budget unfortunately.

Owner of the 280 is asking for 165k. Mileage is within range for a 2-yr car (30k) and still have warranty on it from C&C. What do you guys think? Good price?

Pls advise. TIA.

Cheers,

Z

Guest millionmilebenz

My personal opinion... the SLK's look is more long-lasting than the Z. In fact I think this particular incarnation of the SLK may become one of the "classics".

Guys,

Appreciate your responses. I guess it also supply also plays a part in the equation. Not that happy with the quality of some of the Z4s I've seen so far.

What about the price tag for the 280 I mentioned above? Is it a reasonable buy?

Pls advise. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Z

Guest SgLaKsa

Hi Raskie,

Noted on the PI cars. However, I don't intend to buy brand new. I'm going to use the car for a year only.

Anyone else has thoughts on the pricing of the 280?

Cheers,

Z

Since you are only using it for one year, ask the owner of the SLK280 to sell it to you with Road Tax and insurance renewed for the third year loh. If he agrees, you can save a quite a lot so i think it is a good buy at $165K ;)

Thanks Raskie. I know of that car. 2 owners already both used for a very short time only...not sure why. Very nicely modded though.

SGLaksa, interesting idea!

Thanks everyone, will keep you posted if I decide to pull the trigger, probably after CNY. Gong Xi Fa Cai to all!

Guest Cklasse

Alternatively, can count.....1 mercedes-benz.....2 mercedes-benz......3 mercedes-benz........4 mercedes-benz........5 mercedes-benz.......6 mercedes-benz........7 mercedes-benz.......8 mercedes-benz......