• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

B170 engine

Guest klcc

Hi Mercers,

I'm keen on B-Klasse but was wondering if the engine is different from the other merc models.

Have not seen many Bs on the road and was wondering if it is because of potential higher maintenance cost due to special engine or somewhat related technicalities...

Appreciate thoughts...else...end up another favourite export car after a while....

Guest 777kenny

The A & B-Klasse use the same engines and FWD. They are not Kompressor...just NA...or in Turbo version (ie. B200Turbo).

I love my B170 as it fits all my requirements. The hugh interior space can only be appreciated when you actually sit inside...just simply amazing.

However, I think, at this price range, many people will rather choose a more "Value-for-money" car such as Golf GTI, RX8, Ford S-Max, Estima, etc.

Let me know if you want to find out anything about the B ;)

PhotoShoot2.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest BlackAmour

Hi Kenny,

Any idea how the pickup of the B170 can be improved? Just got my car a week plus. Any other advise appreciated!

Thanks.

Chris

777kenny ]

The A & B-Klasse use the same engines and FWD. They are not Kompressor...just NA...or in Turbo version (ie. B200Turbo).

I love my B170 as it fits all my requirements. The hugh interior space can only be appreciated when you actually sit inside...just simply amazing.

However, I think, at this price range, many people will rather choose a more "Value-for-money" car such as Golf GTI, RX8, Ford S-Max, Estima, etc.

Let me know if you want to find out anything about the B wrote:

Guest Cklasse

Let me know if you want to find out anything about the B ;)

The engine is not conventional in construction; it's curve like a banana in order to save space. This explains the bigger interior space although the exterior does not look big. The curve design allows the engine to slide under the chassis in a frontal collision, so you may get to keep your legs in a frontal crash, but not for the guy in other short front car/mpv.

I see this car as a value for safety; and it is not for those with the mentality of "less money more metal".

Guest Onzal

Hi Chris,

How abt dropping an aftermarket air filter like K&N? Works like a charm for my B170 thus far. Better torque response throughout the RPM range.

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

Any idea how the pickup of the B170 can be improved? Just got my car a week plus. Any other advise appreciated!

Thanks.

Chris

Guest BlackAmour

Thanks! Will probably explore that. By the way, am getting FC of 12-13l/100km now, is it normal?? Am into the 1st week only. I understand the usual should be about 8-9l/100km so was wondering if there is something wrong somewhere.

Hi Chris,

How abt dropping an aftermarket air filter like K&N? Works like a charm for my B170 thus far. Better torque response throughout the RPM range.

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks.

Chris

Guest Onzal

Thanks! Will probably explore that. By the way, am getting FC of 12-13l/100km now, is it normal?? Am into the 1st week only. I understand the usual should be about 8-9l/100km so was wondering if there is something wrong somewhere.

Before filter change, my FC was ard 9l/100km. After filter change, my driving style became more gentle with better low end torque so getting ard 8.2 to 8.5l/100km. I'm also running in my car now. Total mileage is less than 1000km only now.

Guest BlackAmour

It's a combination of both. Just this monday morning, from my place in sengkang to bugis it suck out 1/4 tank fuel! From full tank to the 3/4 mark. Just felt that something is not right. The average in general should be about 8plus 9l/100km, worst case maybe 10 or so but 12plus 13?

is the reading from city driving or highway? fc is higher for city driving.

Guest aspade

Hi Chris,

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks.

Chris

It is my experience that the FC for first 2500 Km will float around 11-13 L/100Km for city driving. I know it is very irritating when you can't lower the average "Since Last Reset" FC number on the Dash. Don't worry, it will improve as your car gets loosen up. Now I can get 8.5 - 9L/100Km with ease (driving carefully).

Bring your car to KL or some long distance driving ... It will help your car run in. I also changed my engine oil and oil filter at 5000km instead of the 15000 mark as advised by the car computer. Gives me a peace of mind.

Guest Onzal

I got it from Mcwell. Lead time 8 weeks, price $104. Anyway they cannot confirm the price upon booking as it depends on US exchange rate. Since US dollar is at all time low, hence the lower price.

Hi Onzal,

Can you share where and how much did you get the KNN filters for ?

Guest Onzal

Hi Aspade, can I check where u service your car at 5k? And how much does it cost?

It is my experience that the FC for first 2500 Km will float around 11-13 L/100Km for city driving. I know it is very irritating when you can't lower the average "Since Last Reset" FC number on the Dash. Don't worry, it will improve as your car gets loosen up. Now I can get 8.5 - 9L/100Km with ease (driving carefully).

Bring your car to KL or some long distance driving ... It will help your car run in. I also changed my engine oil and oil filter at 5000km instead of the 15000 mark as advised by the car computer. Gives me a peace of mind.

Guest aspade

Onzal ]

Hi Aspade, can I check where u service your car at 5k? And how much does it cost?

It is my experience that the FC for first 2500 Km will float around 11-13 L/100Km for city driving. I know it is very irritating when you can' wrote:

I got it serviced at C&C ... Cost me an arm and a leg .... S$470 .... Heart pain even it is using service credits dolllars.

If you are doing early service A like what I do, make sure you get them to show you the parts that was changed.

Guest BlackAmour

The $470 is it because you sent for servicing earlier? Or its the norm price for 1st servicing? I thought it should be $300+.

aspade ]

It is my experience that the FC for first 2500 Km will float around 11-13 L/100Km for city driving. I know it is very irritating when you can' wrote:

I got it serviced at C&C ... Cost me an arm and a leg .... S$470 .... Heart pain even it is using service credits dolllars.

If you are doing early service A like what I do, make sure you get them to show you the parts that was changed.

• 1 month later...
Guest angela

Where can I get the chrome frame for the fog lamps like in Kenny's maroon car posted at the strat of this topic? C+C doesn't provide it with the current sports package.

Guest 777kenny

Where can I get the chrome frame for the fog lamps like in Kenny's maroon car posted at the strat of this topic? C+C doesn't provide it with the current sports package.

Maroon??

I got that surround thing overseas myself.