• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

2005 A-170 questions

Guest dax

Hi,

am considering a 2005 A-170 for a first car. wad attracts me is the quality and driving experience of a merc for roughly the price of a 2-3yr old jap car.

however, i am worried about the reliability of the a-class after doing some research. a mercedes mechanic family friend has advised against the a-class bcoz the servicing/repairs are very expensive and bcoz of spare parts unavailable, all servicing/repairs must be done at c&c.

can i ask roughly how much is the annual servicing cost (assuming 2x per year)?

and is it true that the transmission is unreliable and has to be overhauled after approx 5 yrs?

thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cklasse

I do not know anything about the W169 (that is the 2005 A170 model) but I owned the W168 from 2000 to 2004. I am sure Mercedes-Benz has ironed out any problem for the W169 after churning out the W168 from 1998 to 2004. It's not true that only C&C can service the A-class because I had done mine elsewhere. The unique slant engine of the A-class may limit the number of workshops that are capable of working on it (and I think your mechanic friend does not know how to).

As for spares availability only at C&C, I do not know, but I do know that I had bought parts from shop other than C&C before.

Btw, as far as servicing charges in C&C are concerned, the higher your car's alphabet is, generally the price follows. So an A is cheaper than a S.

One thing you need to accept is don't expect the A-class to ride like the E-class in terms of comfort, soundproofing and "respect" from other road users or the bell boy at the hotel driveway. Whatever it is, I still miss my A-class (the W168 is even shorter than the W169).

hi cklasse,

thanks for the quick response. i have always thought/known mercedes to make very reliable cars. which is why im attracted to the 5 yr old a-class at that particular price point rather than a 2-3yr old jap hatchback. i was just worried that the reduced 'respect' was due to mechanical problems/reliability issues with the a-class.

your endorsement is reassuring. could u share why u enjoyed your w168 so much? was it the driving experience? or some other factors like the aesthetics/fuelefficiency(decent i hear)??

could you recommend a reliable mechanic that can service the a-class? thank you.

Have been driving a 2005 A-class since new, i have got no problems getting my parts from stockie other then C & C. If you are talking about normal servicing at outside workshop like engine oil, oil filter and auto gear oil, the servicing cost is not much different from a 1600cc Jap car.