• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Ipod Integration for W245 Audio 20

Guest knighthunter

Guest knighthunter

Anyone install this Ipod integration to W245, I checked with C&C but price is sky high.

Any other installer that selling this Ipod integration with Audio 20?

Guest NewC180
Guest 777kenny

I have the Mercedes iPod Integration in my B. You can control the iPod with the buttons on steering wheel, and the song title is displayed on instrument cluster. However, this setup has the following flaws:

1. Sound from iPod is significantly soft. If you bump the volume up to the normal level when listening to iPod, your ear drums will be close to bursting when you switch it back to Radio or CD.

2. Sound quality is ok but frequency is limited (especially the very low and very high freq). In fact, anything connected to the Line-in jack in the glovebox has the same freq limitation.

The best setup for iPod (or any external sound source) while preserving the Audio 20 is using the Dension 500 device, which I have installed it myself for iPod and DAB. Advantage...

1. No freq limitation. Sound as good as CD...as the Dension is connected via MOST (ie. optical)

2. You can also control iPod using Steering wheel buttons.

3. As bonus, you can also connect any music source via RCA or USB (thumbdrive)

I bought it on eBay. Can't exactly remember the cost...but should be roughly around US$400. This is still way cheaper than getting it locally (it was about S$1000 w/installation two years ago).

Guest knighthunter

Hi Kenny, Thank you. I am still doing research for it and I found there are 2 ipod kit for W245 pre-FL and FL (manufactured after June 2008). Is your car pre-FL? If yes it need line in amp for Ipod. I will check for your suggestion and I plan to do it DIY.

Thanks.

Guest 777kenny

knighthunter wrote:

Hi Kenny, Thank you. I am still doing research for it and I found there are 2 ipod kit for W245 pre-FL and FL (manufactured after June 2008). Is your car pre-FL? If yes it need line in amp for Ipod. I will check for your suggestion and I plan to do it DIY.

Thanks.

Mine is pre-FL. The in-line amp will help with the ipod volume, but the freq limitation is still there (and it is obvious).

Have fun with the DIY :)

• 1 month later...
Guest aspade

Hi Kenny, did you have the original ipod integration when you got the car ? If you have, do you have to remove it before fitting the Dension 500 ?

Seems like a fun project. I am thinking of doing it because the original ipod integration does not allow charging of iphone and ipod touch. Can you help to confirm it does with the Dension 500 ?

Finally I am changing my speakers (always fell asleep listening to it - no good when you are driving long distance). Will be adding a external subwoofer by connecting to my rear speakers via a Hi-Lo adaptor.

BTW this guy in HK upgraded his stock Audio20 to Harmon Kardon Logic 7 after delivery. Looks like they really have to flip the car inside out to get it done ...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1281744-class-w169-b-class-w245-modifications.html

Guest 777kenny

Hi Aspade... Yep, I got the original iPod integration before I installed the Dension. Both can co-exist. The Dension does charge my iPhone 3GS, just ignore the message on the phone saying that it is connected to an unknown accessory (or something like that).

In my opinion, changing the speakers itself already improves the sound quality tremendously.

Yeah... saw that post in benzworld before... pretty hardcore.

Do PM me if you want to have a look at my car ;)

Guest aspade

Yeah we should have kopi ... but after my audio enhancement.

I am putting in a Focal A165 front, a coaxial rear speaker and (hopefully) a small under the seat subwoofer next week.

Guest 777kenny

aspade wrote:

Yeah we should have kopi ... but after my audio enhancement.

I am putting in a Focal A165 front, a coaxial rear speaker and (hopefully) a small under the seat subwoofer next week.

Nice :) Which workshop are u going to?

Guest aspade

AudioEdge is my regular shop. But they are not so good in full mercedes integration. They usually will suggest to use commercial solution (like infra red) instead of those MOST integration kit.

The workmanship is better or on par with most other shops I have brought stuff from.

Guest aspade

Just an update, I have completed the upgrade of changing the main speakers of my car and added a small under-the-seat subwoofer. I left rear door speakers intact until my next project ...

As Kenny777 has previously mentioned in another thread, the SQ improvement was great by changing the front speakers. The subwoofer added the little thumping to make tunes just a little more exciting.

In my opinion, Audio20 head unit isn't that bad afterall - I can hear people laughing oredi - power and clarity wise. It was only let down by the cheap original speakers the simple cross-over (a few components soldered at the leads of speakers and tweeters !). It's probably cost cutting for the cheapest cars in the Merc (Make everything really crappy).

Guest Hakkinenl

I have a used Ipod Integration kit for the Audio 20. It was taken out of my W203 FL model (end of year 2004 onwards). I believe it works in the W245. PM me if interested :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 777kenny

Congrats! The daily journey just become more enjoyable huh :)

What brand and model of the sub you got? An active sub I suppose? And how well does it fit in the space underneath the seat?

aspade wrote:

Just an update, I have completed the upgrade of changing the main speakers of my car and added a small under-the-seat subwoofer. I left rear door speakers intact until my next project ...

As Kenny777 has previously mentioned in another thread, the SQ improvement was great by changing the front speakers. The subwoofer added the little thumping to make tunes just a little more exciting.

In my opinion, Audio20 head unit isn't that bad afterall - I can hear people laughing oredi - power and clarity wise. It was only let down by the cheap original speakers the simple cross-over (a few components soldered at the leads of speakers and tweeters !). It's probably cost cutting for the cheapest cars in the Merc (Make everything really crappy).

Guest aspade

I used a old clarion self powered flatbed subwoofer. It was designed for under the seat but it would not fit underneath the front seat of our B-Class (because it blocked by a bar that holds the seat together). So I have it installed at the rear. The signal is pulled from the front speakers into the built-in hi-lo connectors. The result is not as good as if it is mounted below your seat as I have done in my previous car.

This will lay ground work for my next tweak - installing a Logic7 type of sound processor. It's just out a few months ago and already getting a lot of good reviews in the US.

Check this out :

http://ms8.jbl.com/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/83066-jbls-ms-8-a.html

Guest kepiting1sg

aspade wrote:

This will lay ground work for my next tweak - installing a Logic7 type of sound processor. It's just out a few months ago and already getting a lot of good reviews in the US.

Check this out :

http://ms8.jbl.com/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/83066-jbls-ms-8-a.html

Currently I know of 1 shop who is installing this Logic 7 type on Merc.

AutoSpritze

115 Eunos Ave 3

Guest BenzModz

kepiting1sg wrote:

Currently I know of 1 shop who is installing this Logic 7 type on Merc.

For the W245 B-Class all of the parts required to install FL Harmon Kardon are available.

I did this type of install before and it was not so bad in terms of difficulty. I also did it to my W203, some W211, W219 and W220 (BOSE).

It seems to me that all the parts can be bought.