• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Upgrade Sound System for W211

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Have anyone upgrade the sound system with high end speakers; separate amplifier for the W211 model?

Please share your details, place of installation, and costs....

Regards.

Guest kepiting1sg

Gideon wrote:

Have anyone upgrade the sound system with high end speakers; separate amplifier for the W211 model?

Please share your details, place of installation, and costs....

Regards.

A few simple Qs 1st

1. Do U mind to replace the stock HU which is probably Audio 20 with a after mkt HU?

2. Do U mind if U lose your steering control for audio?

3. If yes to the above 2 Qs - What's your budget

If U need to know further details, an installer with ears to hear what U want and suggest options to you base on your budget, pls visit below installer. No obligations! No Pressure selling! Free kopi!

Sam Tan

Swift Motion

9 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

#03-11 Eunos TechnoLink

Tel: 62966330

Just tell Sam, Unker Batam refer U!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kepiting1sg

Gideon wrote:

Would like to maintian control of audio at the steering wheel. So, it seems like upgrading is not an option for now.

Still can be done but with "some compromise" on audio quality - no competition standards. :becky:

The installer can tap out the signal from your speaker output.

From there the signal can be converted into a Hi-Lo converter to RCA output.

From RCA output U have choice to connect dirrectly to amplifier/amplifiers, component speakers (passive) and also subwoofer.

Can also connect the RCA output to signal processors - do multiamp setup

and even time alignment.

Go contact my former installer and look at the options

Sam Tan

Swift Motion

9 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

#03-11 Eunos TechnoLink

Guest nismo502

Gideon wrote:

Would like to maintian control of audio at the steering wheel. So, it seems like upgrading is not an option for now.

No, you dont have to lose your steering control. You just need to do a bit a research. They do sell plug and play adapters for mercedes so that you maintain your steering control after changing headunit.

I used one in my w203 with a pioneer 4150 and steering control works perfect. I have since sold my car and remove it, if you are thinking of a pioneer HU, you are welcome to try if it will fit w211.

Contact me at [email protected]

Guest kepiting1sg

nismo502 wrote:

No, you dont have to lose your steering control. You just need to do a bit a research. They do sell plug and play adapters for mercedes so that you maintain your steering control after changing headunit.

I used one in my w203 with a pioneer 4150 and steering control works perfect. I have since sold my car and remove it, if you are thinking of a pioneer HU, you are welcome to try if it will fit w211.

Contact me at [email protected]

Problem here is many wanna keep their HU!

Beside Pioneer, I believe others like Alphine has HU that can be integrate with steering control too.

Guest nismo502

Ya, but the question here is whether if changing HU will lose the steering control. I did a lot of asking around prior to installing my HU, many local installer has the wrong perception or does not have a clue on how to address this problem or either that they used the brutal way of swi infra-red control method.

There are many adapters avail in the market that allows merc to retain their Steering control despite changing the HU. As far as I know, it works for jvc, kenwood, Sony, pioneer,alpine as long as they have an input lead for remote control. Most of the newer HU has the input lead.

Guest kepiting1sg

nismo502 wrote:

Ya, but the question here is whether if changing HU will lose the steering control. I did a lot of asking around prior to installing my HU, many local installer has the wrong perception or does not have a clue on how to address this problem or either that they used the brutal way of swi infra-red control method.

There are many adapters avail in the market that allows merc to retain their Steering control despite changing the HU. As far as I know, it works for jvc, kenwood, Sony, pioneer,alpine as long as they have an input lead for remote control. Most of the newer HU has the input lead.

I like the Kenwood DNX7360BT 7" LCD touch screen running with Garmin Maps!:becky:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jenvid

Me ?

Details

Micro Precision Speakers Front (7 Series) with pod. Active

Rainbow Competition Rear

Diamond Audio Sub

HU - Alpine W200

Amps - 2 x Trutech 475S with burrbrown card, alpine amp for centre speaker

Processor - Alpine 701

Sounds darn good. haha...

Gave up the spare tyre for the amps, processor, caps. took up abt 1/3 of the tyre well.

The MP7 are a little bit on the bright side. The SQ is heavenly.

Watching Movie rocks...

Gave up the Steering Wheel integration back then cuz didnt get a chance to lay my hands on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jenvid

Yeap, need to give up the stock HU if you want aftermkt HU.

You need to find an experienced installer to get everything right.

Bracket from Scosche, the local installer should have stock from them.

• 1 month later...
Guest st8800

kepiting1sg wrote:

A few simple Qs 1st

1. Do U mind to replace the stock HU which is probably Audio 20 with a after mkt HU?

2. Do U mind if U lose your steering control for audio?

3. If yes to the above 2 Qs - What's your budget

If U need to know further details, an installer with ears to hear what U want and suggest options to you base on your budget, pls visit below installer. No obligations! No Pressure selling! Free kopi!

Sam Tan

Swift Motion

9 Kaki Bukit Rd 1

#03-11 Eunos TechnoLink

Just tell Sam, Unker Batam refer U!

Ya.... Sam is pretty good... if u have deep pockets. :becky:

Guest kepiting1sg

st8800 wrote:

Ya.... Sam is pretty good... if u have deep pockets. :becky:

Ok what!:becky:

I got no deep pockets and he last prepared my W203 for the last IASCA competition.

Guest st8800

kepiting1sg wrote:

Ok what!:becky:

I got no deep pockets and he last prepared my W203 for the last IASCA competition.

Hehe brudder... changed 3 cars in 2 years.... your pocket not so shallow la... :becky:

Guest kepiting1sg

st8800 wrote:

Hehe brudder... changed 3 cars in 2 years.... your pocket not so shallow la... :becky:

Changed car not all the time liao money!

Bought FLW211 at $115k -sold to dealer at $118k

Bought Q5 - This one pocket big hole.

Bought A4 2.0 T Quattro - Paid $158k - traded in $155k + $4k service credits for E250 Avantgarde

Lucky thing is that I did not take loan for all the buys cos I used my coffin money....muhahaha!

Nothing to do abt pockets lah!

Know Sam quite some time liao and more than an installer to me.

I am also pretty alright with Cartoon - New Gen who used to work for Sam in his early days.

Actually know quite a few of these installers before Unker retired from ICE.:becky:

st8800 wrote:

Unker dont have deep pocket......

His money are place in 'Alibaba' bags.......

Guest kepiting1sg

9339 wrote:

Unker dont have deep pocket......

His money are place in 'Alibaba' bags.......

OPEN SESAME!!!! CI MA HOI MUN!!!!!.....kakakaka!

Rupiah cannot put into wallet, must put into pockets.

If too much, must put into guni bags!!!!....kakaka!:becky:

Guest st8800

kepiting1sg wrote:

Changed car not all the time liao money!

Bought FLW211 at $115k -sold to dealer at $118k

Bought Q5 - This one pocket big hole.

Bought A4 2.0 T Quattro - Paid $158k - traded in $155k + $4k service credits for E250 Avantgarde

Lucky thing is that I did not take loan for all the buys cos I used my coffin money....muhahaha!

Nothing to do abt pockets lah!

Know Sam quite some time liao and more than an installer to me.

I am also pretty alright with Cartoon - New Gen who used to work for Sam in his early days.

Actually know quite a few of these installers before Unker retired from ICE.:becky:

Hehe ok la unker.... in most context... buy 100k+ car no need loan is consider pocket quite deep liao la. Haha. :becky:

I used to play a bit of ICE but not competition level stuff like unker u... Sam is great installer.... his sound-proofing bo beh chow. Really... put already Lorinser exhaust also cannot hear from inside the cabin.

Very techincal and learned about ICE. If u play ICE go to him.... can't go wrong.