• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Permanent race track to be built at Changi

Guest angela

Permanent race track to be built at Changi

By VINCENT WEE THE government said yesterday it will develop motorsports here by working with the private sector to build a permanent race track on a 20-hectare site at Changi and putting together a comprehensive plan.

'Motorsports is an activity that has great potential for Singapore,' said Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan.

It is being recognised first as a sport in its own right and second as an industry that Singapore wants to promote, he said.

The Economic Development Board has realised that there is business potential and is part of the team working on the development project.

Emphasising that it is still at a preliminary stage, Dr Balakrishnan said: 'We are now signalling to the private sector, local and international, that Singapore is interested in the development of a permanent motor sports track.

'We want them to get in touch with the Sports Council and start the dialogue with us over the next few months as we refine the detailed specifications of the tender that we will call.'

The Singapore Sports Council will lead a multi-agency team which will market the project locally and internationally.

The seafront view and longish sides of the 30-year tenure site, which could yield a track 2.8-3.5km long with possibly one of the longest straights in Asia, would be unique selling points. The track should be able to seat at least 15,000 spectators and would be a Grade 2 FIA-approved track circuit that could host any type of motor race except Formula 1.

There would also be a Grade 1 karting track - the only such track in South- east Asia.

Promoters bidding for the track will have to bring in at least three international races and two national series a year, as well as other motor sports events and exhibitions. In addition, a motor racing and advanced driving school must be part of the facilities.

A request for proposal is expected to go out in May next year. The tender process will likely take six to nine months and the track is expected to be completed by end-2010 or early 2011.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

keltanky ]

Hor seh liao! Time to order the go-kart... wrote:

better order liao!! cos Jan can already go go-kart @ Tuas!! the Tuas Circuit is already OPEN!!

guess can have a go-kart outing but do they rent karts too?

VenomMerc ]

Hor seh liao! Time to order the go-kart... wrote:

better order liao!! cos Jan can already go go-kart @ Tuas!! the Tuas Circuit is already OPEN!!

guess can have a go-kart outing but do they rent karts too?

sure man, KOMPRESSOR yoyo!! better assign somemore to re-train you!!! MASTER GO-KARTER!! hehehehe

JAN have our SGMERC GO-KART KAKIES training and outing...

• 1 month later...
Guest millionmilebenz

Ok, time to re-awaken this thread! Tuas circuit is open and should at least have some fun karts available for rental.

Who's up for some go-karting lessons to be taught by our very own "hidden dragons, crouching tigers" - the humble masters hiding amongst us?

Of course, the price of the "lesson" is to be slaughtered by them on the track first. Hahaha!

1. MMB (freshmeat)

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

Abit off topic, but news is that Permas Jaya Go-Kart Track is going to be gone in a few months time.

Think we should organize a trip there. Btw, they're making a new track.

Abit off topic, but news is that Permas Jaya Go-Kart Track is going to be gone in a few months time.

Think we should organize a trip there. Btw, they're making a new track.

add on the the OT,

think MMB was the only 1 who made the trip up there for the GO-kart Kakis!!

hmmm what's the cost like there?? I'm not sure,

I'm sure on to go, must plan, may need to take leave.. :-\

Guest millionmilebenz

add on the the OT,

think MMB was the only 1 who made the trip up there for the GO-kart Kakis!!

hmmm what's the cost like there?? I'm not sure,

I'm sure on to go, must plan, may need to take leave.. :-\

IIRC, it was 30 ringgit for 10 mins, including rental of kart and helmut. The track was pretty enjoyable, but of course I haven't tried other tracks before. Definitely keen to go again!

Guest millionmilebenz

when when when when???? i am on la. all my go kart stuff are in a bag ready to go. kekekeke

Let's Do It! How about next weekend 12 Jan (Sat)? We go morning and stay for lunch, then own time own target. :) :) :)

1. MMB (freshmeat)

Guest angela

Let's Do It! How about next weekend 12 Jan (Sat)? We go morning and stay for lunch, then own time own target. :) :) :)

1. MMB (freshmeat)

2. SillyWilly (hope i can fit in the cart... den get slaughtered...)

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

Permas Jaya Go-Kart cum lunch on Sat 12th Jan 1pm :)

1. MMB (freshmeat)

2. SillyWilly (hope i can fit in the cart... den get slaughtered...)

3. Jeff Keng