• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

No radio after installing Huper Optik solar-film

Guest frasier

Guest frasier

I just realised that I can't listen to the radio anymore, after installation of Huper Optik (ceramic+) solar-film.

It sounds like poor signal reception. Everything else (CD etc) is OK.

Anyone encounter this problem after installation? How was it resolved?

I don't think the installer cut through anything during installation.

I can't get any official help this weekend b'cos of Hari Raya holiday.

Guest kepiting1sg

I just realised that I can't listen to the radio anymore, after installation of Huper Optik (ceramic+) solar-film.

Bring your ride to an ICE installer and get it check!

Guest Ody_2004

Yr antenna is those in-car type? If so maybe the film prevent the signal from reaching the antenna.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frasier

Here's an update:

I got C&C to check my radio for me. They transplanted it to another Merc, and the radio worked fine. So that confirms that it was the solar-film interfering with the signals.

Although I find that puzzling since Huper Optik is not metallic-based like Vkool.

It seems that the radio antenna is located at the top part of the rear windscreen. A C&C tech said that it was the top-centre portion.

So I decided to remove a rectangular piece of film from my rear windscreen.

Unfortunately, it still has not solved the problem.

Now I have a window decal filling up the obvious "hole" in my rear windscreen.

I am hesitant about removing some more film.

Sigh!!!

Guest kepiting1sg

Here's an update:

I got C&C to check my radio for me. They transplanted it to another Merc, and the radio worked fine. So that confirms that it was the solar-film interfering with the signals.

Although I find that puzzling since Huper Optik is not metallic-based like Vkool.

It seems that the radio antenna is located at the top part of the rear windscreen. A C&C tech said that it was the top-centre portion.

So I decided to remove a rectangular piece of film from my rear windscreen.

Unfortunately, it still has not solved the problem.

Now I have a window decal filling up the obvious "hole" in my rear windscreen.

I am hesitant about removing some more film.

Sigh!!!

Could the antenna be damaged while installing the solar film? Maybe not!

BTW When driving @ nite and looking at your rear view mirror, does the image on the rear view mirror looks a little blurry than compare to when you did not have the solar film?

I had this experience with my previous W124.

I asked Huper Optik once whether the same problem will happen when installed on my W203 and the reply was yes. Therefore I did not instal any solar film on my W203.

Why not bring your antenna problem to Huper Optik? ;)

Guest frasier

I brought my car back to Huper Optik, but they told me that this was the first time they heard of my problem. Even installation on an SLK was no problem.

That's why I took the C&C tech's advice to remove a rectangular piece of film that covers the radio antenna.

But it now seems like I have try removing more film, or forget about listening to radio.

I visited Pin Liang, but they couldn't solve my problem either.

Guest kepiting1sg

I brought my car back to Huper Optik, but they told me that this was the first time they heard of my problem. Even installation on an SLK was no problem.

That's why I took the C&C tech's advice to remove a rectangular piece of film that covers the radio antenna.

But it now seems like I have try removing more film, or forget about listening to radio.

I visited Pin Liang, but they couldn't solve my problem either.

Looks like to resolve your propblem is to take out the whole solar film on your rear windscreen.

If that doesn't solve it, then there's a problem with your windscreen antenna. (It could have been "accidentally damaged" while installing the solar film.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
Guest frasier

Update:

Still no radio even after removing a rectangular piece of film over the radio antenna.

Benzline never heard of an external radio antenna.

So far, my enquiries have led to a dead-end.

Appreciate any help I can get. Anyone?

Guest kepiting1sg

Update:

Still no radio even after removing a rectangular piece of film over the radio antenna.

Go to an ICE installer and try hooking up an external antenna to see if your radio works.

If that works, it confirmed that your windscreen antenna is not working.

You might want to consider the following:-

1) Change your whole windscreen - Huber Optik to compensate you? (If you can prove it's caused by them) or C & C if your car is still under warranty or will your Insurance cover it or out of your own pocket.

2) Change to an external antenna since your radio works

3) Maybe you would like to get another opinion from my ICE installer - Swift Motion - Samuel Tan Tel: 62966330 you can mentioned you are referred by Seah from Batam Island.

4) Or gip me a call during one of this weekend when I m back to Sg. 94506156.

We can drink kopi and let me know more details what you have done so far.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kepiting1sg

Hey Guy,

im new here ,hello everyone nice to know you guy here at www.Sgmerc.com

my name is anthony, hope to know more old bird here!

Best Regards,

Anthony

[email protected]

Hello Anthony,

A warm welcome to you!

Please come to our meetup which is always the last Sunday of each month.

The current venue is Kallang Mac Carpark which starts from 5.00 pm.

BTW are you in the Lithium batteries business?

Cheers!

anytime man you can come to my office for coffee at AMK next to auto point.

sms me 91999333 when you want to eat snake ya heee....

No charge for you bro outside price at $12/cup must try.

cheer!

Any kind of Kopi no sugar my favorite.

AMK Auto pt arh??? next to MBM.

U work on Sats? ;)

Guest kepiting1sg

Update:

Hello Frasier,

Have you solved your antenna problem? :)

Guest kepiting1sg

for sat coffee call me first ya.

now im not sure to install any film as mention here???

anyway see you guy on sunday lor

This Sunday I will probably drop in around 5.00 pm.

See U there Anthony! :)

• 2 months later...
Guest angela

hmm... i started to notice this "blurry" or wavy effect on certain parts of the HOptik solar film installed onto my w204... did not have this wavy effect on my previous ride installed with Vkool... my fren also has this same problem with her solar film. im beginning to suspect whether this wavy effect is more prone on non-metallic film?

:-\

pardon me but does any one feel that Hoptik isnt as effective as v-kool? or rather metallic based solar films? i have my windows all blacked out wit optik ceramic series... but it still gets damn hot in a short time VS my "vkool" car which was much cooler even when the front were legal tint.

beginning to regret man... basket. i thot as long as reputable brand it should be comparable.. sigh...

Guest angela

hmm... i started to notice this "blurry" or wavy effect on certain parts of the HOptik solar film installed onto my w204... did not have this wavy effect on my previous ride installed with Vkool... my fren also has this same problem with her solar film. im beginning to suspect whether this wavy effect is more prone on non-metallic film?

pardon me but does any one feel that Hoptik isnt as effective as v-kool? or rather metallic based solar films? i have my windows all blacked out wit optik ceramic series... but it still gets damn hot in a short time VS my "vkool" car which was much cooler even when the front were legal tint.

beginning to regret man... basket. i thot as long as reputable brand it should be comparable.. sigh...

I kinda agree wif u. Always thought V-Kool is a much better product, but C&C comes bundled wif Hoptik. I have a small bubble at the driver's window now, just after 2 months.

U are right, it feels like it does not keep out the heat very well.

Guest jenvid

I kinda agree wif u. Always thought V-Kool is a much better product, but C&C comes bundled wif Hoptik. I have a small bubble at the driver's window now, just after 2 months.

U are right, it feels like it does not keep out the heat very well.

Actually VKool VK70 & VK72 are the only 2 films that has the metallic thingy. And they are the best based on my research. I have yet to find any film that provide the high amt of IR rejection yet allowing so much light to past through. I find them so good that I actually vkool my entire house glass with VK70. Amazing stuff.

As for C&C, Huper is offered because of cost. Actually I direct my C&C SE to the Toh Guan VKool, their price is _very_ competitive no joke.

My E with paranomic roof was vkooled for under 1k using VK72 & 70.

BTW if u cant get VK films due to the glass tint, dun bother with VKool films like the J series etc...

Guest angela

The metallic properties of V-Kool makes the difference, however, that may also be the reason why C&C is not using them (other than cost), as it will affect the antenna greatly.

• 1 year later...
Guest frasier

Hi all!

I was browsing old posts and realised that I didn't update my post. So for anyone still wondering what happened in the end .........

The problem was resolved by replacing the radio antenna. It was possible that water used during the film installation damaged the antenna.

Fortunately for me, it was replaced under warranty. Worked perfectly ever since.

As for the hole I cut-out ........ it's still there!

Guest kepiting1sg

frasier wrote:

Hi all!

I was browsing old posts and realised that I didn't update my post. So for anyone still wondering what happened in the end .........

The problem was resolved by replacing the radio antenna. It was possible that water used during the film installation damaged the antenna.

Fortunately for me, it was replaced under warranty. Worked perfectly ever since.

As for the hole I cut-out ........ it's still there!

kepiting1sg wrote:

Could the antenna be damaged while installing the solar film? Maybe not!

Hahahahaha! I am still working as a mod and still reading posts.

So I was right after all abt the antenna being damaged.

Thank you for updating us even after 1 year!

At least we know U have a happy ending! :becky: