• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

How we assess workshop?

Guest Kompressor

Guest Kompressor

Just how i feel after years of visiting to workshop, how do we assess workshop in term of pricing, skill, tools, environment..... to determine they are good, reasonable, professional?

I visited a workshop for servicing small area, 2 mech & boss, tools all over the place, no waiting place, no drinks, parts order at the point of servicing but price cheap because overhead very low. They too did a good job.

I visited a workshop decent place, 6 mech, clean, parts in stock, no waiting place, no drinks, price a little higher then the first workshop and they did a good job too.

I visited a workshop amber place with proper reception, clean, waiting area, parts in stock, 15 mech at least, nice waiting area with TV, Sofa, newspaper, magazine, free drinks, after servicing provide free car wash and price a little more then the 2nd workshop.

I visited agent workshop, i don't have to say you all know and price little higher then the 3rd workshop.

Which of the above consider price reasonable and good workshop?

For me i felt each of the above workshop serve different cat of customers so i cannot comments if they over price or suck. Same goes to buying a new car, from Agent or PI?

Last but not least i do agree some workshop are really suck, inexperience or should i say conman workshop. This type of workshop should be executed hahahahaha.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Fair observation but personally i think a little over-simplified...

cars these days, with more electronics, would require special diagnostic tools. For simple servicing, yes small w/s will suffice but when it comes to more complicated stuff, they will not be able to meet your requirements.

another thing is 'warranty', do the smaller w/s offer the same 'warranty' for a job/service done ? I am not sure - do let me know

w/s cannot really compare to Agent vs PI. The latter is a sales channel and very much a personal 'feel-good' kind of transaction. Eg: Assume PI A and PI B sell the same spec car with same 5yr warranty and service at the same w/s at the same price with the same trade-in and delivery date ... what makes you buy from PI A or PI B ?

Buyers also differ .. some would pay a 'premium' for good service .. while others just want the cheapest price and dun really care if salesguy offer kopi/tea or some additional freebies ...

Take sponsor MBM for example, I was with them before and find them good and meeting my needs and at a reasonable price. But there are other members who had other experiences.

Similarly some swear-off agent servicing but again I have had used them and enjoy similar good service although must admit the price is tad higher.

My take, is go with your own preferences .. if u enjoy/like the pre-buying experience with agent or PI salesperson, and the price is right, go for it. There is no right or wrong.

Similarly, goto the w/s you are comfortable with ... price is not everything ... you must feel that your car must be well-maintained and that you enjoy dealing with the w/s and to continue with them.

Like making friends, we have our bad as well as good points ... if you enjoy his/her company, a friendship builds overtime. If not, it is just another face in the crowd...

Sorry to ramble ...

Guest Kompressor

Bingo!!

Today running a business no longer easy as customers expectation are high which is a good thing, it helps bosses & employee to improve themselves to serve the demanding customers. But improving/upgrading need cost, overhead, space, location, talent & skilled workforce.

What goes around, comes around!!

Sadly .. yes customers are now more savvy .. good thing or bad ?

But I believe in a competitive consumer market, word of mouth recommendation means alot and excellent honest service would reap benefits.

Can only hope there are more such 'enlightened' sales channel like yourself vs the ah-beng tarnished car industry that we are in ... just like th property market ... a handful of greedy unscrupulous agents 'screwing' buyers ...

Sigh ...