• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New E200 - no new car smell

Guest wj74

Eh.. how do we check whether the car you collected has been on the road(probably test-driven?)..

I just collected an E200 from C&C on wednesday... and didn't noticed it..

But my parents who drove the car today told me the car does not have new car smell at all.

I think they are referring to the smell of plastic and leather... you know.. the smell you get with every new car... I know it's actually toxic... but... .. it's now nagging me... that they might be right.. (coz i've a few cars before..and they all have that smell which is missing with this one).

I've arranged with the salesman to clarify next week..

Just 13km. But mileage can be tweaked to ZERO or any number you want.

I've seen this done in Australia :)

Went to C&C and sales let me smell the black leather and the coloured leather, it seems the black leather no smell ...but coloured leather is the new car smell.He said the smell most likely from the colouring.

Anyway, it's ok.. I just had my car "ZAINO-ed"..Now got a little bit of fake new car smell.. haha.. live and let live already lah..

bro, personally i think this is a very subjective issue..

sometimes it's just mental...

mine is BLACK leather, car is coming to 3 years old, & i still have friends getting into my car & say still got new car smell~!!

Guest ehwwong

i can only smell my "new" car smell when i am not driving for more than 1 day..

and like what my SE claimed, this is the WONDER of MB leather it does not omit that smell like locally fitted leather.. muahah

Ya.. maybe too used to the coloured leather smell than the black leather smell.

This is my first black leather. Most are in beige or grey i think.

But anyway, I am alrite. Now I need to find c&c for the solar film installation. 1st auto boss commented that the solar film is very poorly installed as there are a lot of streaks visible. He suggested I changed it if I find it an eyesore like one of his previous customer who had the same problem.

Nonsense from sales. All geniune leather came from animals like cow, sheep etc. Doesn't matter whether black or coloured, all have leather smell which gives the "new car fragance". I have driven black leather, dakota and now beige leather, all come with "new car fragance". When you put 3M rubber mats, the smell of rubber will overpower most other smell.

Enjoy your "new car fragance" while stocks last

Ops... haha.. but the salesman really let me smell another to be delivered black leather and another beige and another brown leather.. the black leather really have very very faint smell while the coloured ones were overwhelming(the new car smell)..

Anyway, live and let live. The most I get a car that's been test driven for the past month by other customers loh..

Just my personal opinion, don't think C&C as a public company would resort to tweaking the ODOMETER and give you a used test drive car..Your car has to be brand new....they usually have a test drive car for sale at a discount and I heard it is always the staff that has bought it before it even goes to Public and some would even go on to be their official company car to use to run errand and loan to customers' that car was under servicing.... at this moment if you need to get a replacement car during some warranty works or claims that is under manufacturer warranty ..you can go cho cho your SE for a replacement car to drive..

jsiau, thanks. I was also of the same view but just wanted to double confirm the smell of the car. Impossible for a company that does a few million dollars in monthly sales to want to try anything funny just for 200k. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xtrocious

If I am not wrong, there is an air fresher in the market that has "new car smell" as its scent...you may want to try that...hahah

Bro, when I collected my C200, also got no new car smell, which is good for us as my CO has sensitive nose...heheh

Xtrocious.. thanks for the confirmation.

Anyway, I tried the Zaino Z-9 or Z-10... after googling about leather smell product.

I must say it is good..

But if you are the DIY type, it's more worth it 'coz I went to the polishing one .. it was a good rub but they might have use very little ..so my smell goes off 2-3weeks later. So It's better to have your own bottle and applied it every few weeks if the leather smell gets you high! :) ..

Don't think it will cause irritation to CO's nose..felt fine smelling the Zaino. I should be having the same problem as ur CO..Dusty or weather change from cold/warm to warm/cold .. I will get sneezing and running nose.. Doctor say it's sensitive nose... not sinus..

blackknight wrote:

YOU may never know.....the smell is actually chemical treatment..so why bother

:) Yup. Better be safe than sorry. I usually wind down my windows to let the air in when I have a new car. This car NO NEED. :P