• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Maximum mileage of W124.

Guest MBfallshirmjager

Guest MBfallshirmjager

I know this is old news but I am testing and stretching my W124 yet again by driving maximum mileage before heading to the petrol station. I manage to hit until 617km before decidng to fuel up. I could have experimented by going or pushing my german tank further but felt a little worried and scared so decided to fuel up quickly. Is this mileage clocked considered average or normal? Who has gone...say up to 650km or close to 700km before hitting the petrol stations huh?? Fyi, I am using fuel grade 95.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest benzw124

I get like 400Km on a full tank on a good day lol... but usually average 350 only before i have to visit the petrol station. Mind sharing some tips on how to save petrol? My engine has been overhauled but transmission is starting to give problems. Could this be the cause of the high fuel comsumption?

benzw124 wrote:

I get like 400Km on a full tank on a good day lol... but usually average 350 only before i have to visit the petrol station. Mind sharing some tips on how to save petrol? My engine has been overhauled but transmission is starting to give problems. Could this be the cause of the high fuel comsumption?

Yeah it might be possible. My 124 used to drink quite a bit of fuel - in fact quite similar consumption to yours - before I had it sent for a gearbox rebuild. It returned a much better consumption rate after the rebuild. 450kms average return to the tank.

Guest mr w124

Hey guys. Feel quite dumb cos been trying to log in to the old site for abt a week before i realised there was a new one. Anyway, best i have gotten is 480km full tank. Just did a top over haul of engine n a recon gearbox so hope to pass that elusive 500km barrier or hopefully, 600km.

Guest noelhon

Hi Bros, recently just pump the shell $1 petrol (98) and it give me pretty gd mileage. Travelled 478km before i pump 53L, which translate abt 9km/L. Before this pump, i used to get abt 8km/L. Guess you guys full tank mean 60L right? Am now thinking shld i change to electric fan for better FC n power (mech recommend i should).

noelhon wrote:

Hi Bros, recently just pump the shell $1 petrol (98) and it give me pretty gd mileage. Travelled 478km before i pump 53L, which translate abt 9km/L. Before this pump, i used to get abt 8km/L. Guess you guys full tank mean 60L right? Am now thinking shld i change to electric fan for better FC n power (mech recommend i should).

Yes, tend to echo this too... I'm using Caltex currently (becoz of the 12% discount by OCBC)... but somehow when I pumped Shell during the $1 promo, yes, the milege was more by about 40km over my usual full-tank. So Shell's slogan of "extra milege" works...

But then again, I still pump Caltex becoz of the 12% discount... haha

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My best mileage was 560 km with 55 lt of petrol.

I always pump Shell 95 or 98; it is 50m away from my house...

On a side note:

Is it possible that when there is little fuel (~5lt) in the fuel tank, the car can 'momentarily' run out of gas while climbimg up the multi storey carparks?

I think this almost happened to me last week: I was abt to reverse into the lot after climbing a few storeys, when I engaged the reverse gear, rpm dropped below 500 and car started to shake, then I pull back to N, still below 500... engage D; still below 500...

Quickly parked the car, and shut the engine... Damn scary.

Next morning, started the engine: No problem at all. Slowly drove to Petrol station... Pumped petrol; up to now, no such recurrence...

Hopefully, this is a one-off incident...