• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Grrr Sound on Under-Carriage

Guest Lim BS

Dear Members,

I am a newbie in this forum. Just got myself a 05 W211 recently and found that there is a Grrrrrr sound on the under-carriage when driving. Is this normal? Kindly advise.

Many thanks!

it could be the "SBC" is engage and then the sound comes after the brakes are disengage..Bro are you familiar with "SBC"

2005 got SBC in E class? dun think so for singapore side.

however the problem lim speaks about sounds oddly similar to the SBC / HOLD vibration problem encountered for the W211s.

or it could be engine mounting age? my 05 cclass also going thru such vibrations.

Hmm, sorry don't know 05 one don't have leh.... anyway i am driving 06, maybe LIm you step hard twice on the brakes when car at "D" stop and then check if your car has the SBC displayed on the dash metered ..if it says SBC "hold just your car has it and not to worry lor

willy, all Pre-FL models all have the SBC, actually from launch day already got le, my previous Pre-FL W211 also have it & kana recall for SBC issues.

oh. i never knew that. SE told me that was a new feature when i went to test the W211 FLs..

Thank you Willy... that was very informative. So its the SBC... a technology problem. It looks like quite a rampant issue if so many owners can having this complaint.

Welcome Lim. always happy ta help. =)

good luck in solving it.

willy, all Pre-FL models all have the SBC, actually from launch day already got le, my previous Pre-FL W211 also have it & kana recall for SBC issues.

oh. i never knew that. SE told me that was a new feature when i went to test the W211 FLs..

when merc first launch the W211 in 2002, they make a big hoo ha highlighting the SBC Brake System, like stating it is a milestone for automobile braking technology, but during 2004 to 2005, there was a global recall for the SBC issues & this SBC feature was drop when they introduce the FL model. if i am not wrong for the FL models, it was replaced by hydraulic brake system instead of the Electronic brake system that are in Pre-FL models.

more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensotronic

Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) is a Daimler AG brake-by-wire system first introduced on the R230 SL-class, which went on sale in Europe in October 2001.[1] In May 2004, Mercedes recalled 680,000 vehicles equipped with the system; in March 2005 1.3 million additional vehicles were recalled. Mercedes decided to drop the feature altogether in higher volume models, such as the E-class. Lower volume models continued to use Sensotronic due to the high cost of redesigning a braking system.[2]

east539 ]

when merc first launch the W211 in 2002, they make a big hoo ha highlighting the SBC Brake System, like stating it is a milestone for automobile braking technology, but during 2004 to 2005, there was a global recall for the SBC issues & this SBC feature was drop when they introduce the FL model. if i am not wrong for the FL models, it was replaced by hydraulic brake system instead of the Electronic brake system that are in Pre-FL models.

more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensotronic

Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) is a Daimler AG brake-by-wire system first introduced on the R230 SL-class, which went on sale in Europe in October 2001.[1] In May 2004, Mercedes recalled 680,000 vehicles equipped with the system wrote:

thank you sir! :iconsalut:

Guest tomasulu

benz engineers apparently didn't subscribe to if-it-aint-broke... and we are paying for their mistake. unless the original owner(s) got it remedied under the warranty period, you will have to pay $600 for C&C to fix it for ya now. the shuddering is so annoying that i think it is money well spent but you may feel differently.

Guest Lim BS

My no... i'm surprised the owner didnt get it remedied for the entire 4.5 years he's been driving it! Irritating as it may, i've gotten a bit used to it though i am tempted to bring it in to get it fiixed