• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

which tyre for w124

Guest calp

Hi guys,

Long time no see... Hope everyone is doing fine?...

It's almost the time for me to change the tyres on my masterpiece.

During my routine servicing, a quick poll among the mechs at mbm revealed:

1. Goodyear revspec (performance),

2. Yokohama (quiet)

3. Michelin (best? most ex?)

4. your choice?

So based on your experience, which brand and which model shall I pick? (each brand has its own range of models; man, so confusing. ???)

Where can I get the best deal for tyres?

Any shop that you'd recommend? (hopefully with some w124 experience before?) ::)

Btw, I intend to stick to the stock 195/65/R15 size, but can consider a change if you think it will be worth it.

FYI: I am NOT a rally driver 8.), I am petrol conscious, I don't wanna spend too much money on tyres, and I would appreciate something with MINIMUM noise (baby on board, mah... ::)).

TIA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yoko - will be only quiet for the 1st 3 months, after that ........ :bboyspin:

gdyr and fat boy - not sure have not test

me current - conti , noisy after 2months :banghead: but i like its grip! :punk1:

but me current on 205/65/15.. for our 124, should go slightly wider la.., go for 205 la.. :thumbsup:

which shop, as me on conti, go stamford,

my fav is dunlop Le Man, they are the best so far i had tried.. but think they had stop prod of the tires.. >:(

i am using Bridgestone RE001 for my poor man spork car and Pirelli P6 for my W124

but i heard P6 has already end of life ... now is P6000 and P7000 or something

bridgestone GR80 is also a cheap and good option for the old clunker ... not sure EOL already

and NEVER NEVER use Falken. The 2 times i got into major trouble ... both times on Falken

God ... that reminds me ... chk the age of my rubbers

Thanks for the inputs, guys. :thumbsup:

How's the pricing for the ones that you've used so far?

Didn't know falken is for the fallen... :tongue1:

Kel,

this 205/65/r15 can fit the original masterpiece rim or not?

Need any special adjustment for that rim? upgrading the rim does NOT count as adjustment. :tazzie:

Does it "sabo" the fuel consumption ? :P

Thanks for the inputs, guys. :thumbsup:

How's the pricing for the ones that you've used so far?

Didn't know falken is for the fallen... :tongue1:

Kel,

this 205/65/r15 can fit the original masterpiece rim or not?

Need any special adjustment for that rim? upgrading the rim does NOT count as adjustment. :tazzie:

Does it "sabo" the fuel consumption ? :P

i rmbr quite clearly i paid 210/pc for Re001 205/45/17 and i was pretty upset when a mate got it for 196 from another store 2 months later

this was like more than 18months ago when i was still w my ex company

think i paid 80ea for the P6 185/65/R15 back 6mths ago when i first got the old clunker

hee hee .. my friend (Airtrek Turbo) on ST115 also served him very well .. good grip and all-round performance considering he is the type of driver who seems to be 'rushing for jamban' all the time !

falken that bad????

was on st115.... very grippy till the end ie all botak and still good.

old dame now michelin on front and falken at the rear, but michelin balding veri fast....

yup man, you better change...

saw that balding "fat rubber boy" :bboyspin: :bboyspin: :bboyspin:

Try Maxxis. Was voted Australia's best tyres in 2008.

I am using 205/55 R16. Very quiet. Tyres are made in Thailand and hence I think more durable (vs the made in China these days). Have done 10k on the road already - threads are still very good and little signs of balding. Considering our W124 ride is a very heavy machine, I thought it will botak very quickly... but looks like it is still going strong.

falken that bad????

was on st115.... very grippy till the end ie all botak and still good.

old dame now michelin on front and falken at the rear, but michelin balding veri fast....

yup man, you better change...

saw that balding "fat rubber boy" :bboyspin: :bboyspin: :bboyspin:

will squeeze time to rechecl alignment first... onli outer most side bald, very uneven

Guest Reinhold

I am using 205/55 R16. Very quiet. Tyres are made in Thailand and hence I think more durable (vs the made in China these days). Have done 10k on the road already - threads are still very good and little signs of balding. Considering our W124 ride is a very heavy machine, I thought it will botak very quickly... but looks like it is still going strong.

Where to buy Maxxis??

so far for me...its yokohama db...its quiet but of course after sometime it will start to be noisy...

im using 215/45/17 :punk1:

Where to buy Maxxis??

so far for me...its yokohama db...its quiet but of course after sometime it will start to be noisy...

im using 215/45/17 :punk1:

There is one shop in AMK Autopoint 1st floor. Called "ES Tyres..." or something. When you drive pass, can't miss the Maxxis logos and advertisements. This guy has 2 shops on 1st floor itself (with the same name ES Tyres...) He's supposed to be the local distributor for Maxxis.

Thank you all for the inputs. :thumbsup:

A little update; ( kinda' long read... for those who have nothing better to do now:)

2 days ago; on the way to work; tyre punctured (I had NOT changed the tyres to the new ones yet.).

I could hear that 'bump bump bump' sound from the rear left side... :'(

Parked at the car park and see that tyre is rapidly losing air... :angry3:

Didn't really know which tyre shop I should go from NTU, I went to the office to search the internet.

btw, mike and kelvin; thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I set my eyes on this Automotive Technology at 3 International Road. Near my work place after all; and they sell the Goodyear LS2000 Hybrid II. Good handling, quiet... Price, not bad...

But I had this bigproblem now: The tyre is completely flat; :death: and I didn't dare to swap it with the spare tyre. Man, I haven't seen the spare tyre since I bought the car; how to be sure that it's in good condition. My bad... poor car maintenance habits. ::)

Anyway, the guys at automotive tech suggested that I call AAS recovery. What do I pay for the membership fee after all, right? :P

The uncle came in 30 mins. At first I thought "if we can pump some air into the tyre, maybe I can drive to the tyre shop before it goes flat again." Uncle said OK.

So we pumped some air; looked ok; started off...

But before I can reach my destination, tyre went flat (at a faster rate this time :o); I think the object that caused the puncture had come off the tyre while I was driving. And there was no other choice other than swapping with the spare.

Man, I didn't know I could pull this off; but I did. :punk1:

Oh, meanwhile I called AAS again and asked them to redirect the recovery uncle to find me at my breakdown location...

And he did... :thumbsup:

Thank God, the spare was ok; only lacking some air. So he pumped some air...

This time I managed to reach the tyre shop. I changed the tyres to Hybrid II.

The service there is excellent I must say. They offer you a lifetime tyre care package, rotation, balancing, and free nitro gas topups (is it really that good?) etc.

There is an air conditioned lounge, where you can read all sorts of car mags. For the detailing fanatics, they sell the MADDETAILER products as well. Kinda nice surprise for me. Not that I am a detailing freak, but the convenience is a good thing. :P

Well, that was it...

end of adventure... :iconsalut:

Wow, now I can pretend to be a race car driver. :tongue1:

Anyway,

After I changed the tyres to the new set, I 've noticed that the car pulls to the left... very slight pull... but still noticeable... ???

It's not due to the road slope, because I didn't have this in the old tyres...

I just went to the tyre shop to check the pressure levels; all tyres are at the same level...

The guys suggest me to do a wheel alignment based on the reason below:

"Maybe the previous set of tyres was seasoned and worn in to the pulling direction so you didn't notice anything; now that you changed to a new set of tyres; because the thread pattern is new, they will resist to the misalingment and pull to the left..."

Is this reasoning logical?

If so, where should I go for a good, reliable alignment service? ???

Thanks so much guys...

dont waste $ doing a alignment

if you din hv the problem previously... chances is that the weight balancing on the current tyre/rim combo is not optimal

nothing to do w the alignment

however, if after balancing still got this problem ... then hv to spend $ to fix the alignment

go to Kenny Alignment in AMK autopoint L4.

he can do both

honest and reliable guy w good workmanship.

i not advert for him ... but he is a good friend of mine.

feel free to take my advice w a pinch of salt.

Yes, it is true that tyre alignment should be done after changing to new tyres. If alignment problem had exist previously, it will cause the old tyres to get bald. Then the alignment problem and the balding kinda "offset" each other, hence the pull is not noticeable.

I had this behaviour before. But mine was more than just balding. In fact, my shock absorbers, steering dampers, etc... were faulty and continued to cause the car to pull even after having done the wheel alignment. Had to spend about $300 to fix them up, afterwhich had to RE-DO (yes, spend $$$ all over again!!) :banghead: to re-do wheel alignment after all these stuff were taken out and replaced... sigh. But the good news is that now the car doesn't pull one side anymore! :bboyspin: