• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

*** Off-peak car offence

Guest four_eggs

Guest four_eggs

hi guys, just to share with all of you that my staff was convicted today (28 Aug 07) and fined S$20,000 for driving his off-peak car (red plate) without a valid S$20 coupon. He was driving his car out from the carpark (bukit timah area) at 710am and was tearing the coupon at the road junction. at this time, a traffic police approached and seized the coupon. then, he was charged for not having the valid coupon before starting the engine. after few appeals, letter from his MP and 3 hearings, the penalty was S$20,000. he was handcuffed and locked up this morning until he called me to help (i am his boss by the way). money paid at 2pm and they released him thereafter.

pls warn your friend if they own an off-peak car not to try any tricks as LTA has caught many offenders in recent months and they will be fined S$20K for cheating LTA due to the high rebate of S$17K.

In LTA statement, those excuses were:

1. on my way to buy coupon

2. my friend tear the coupon for me

3. i don't know how to tear

4. i tear it wrongly

5. i was driving only a very short distance

the judge agreed with LTA officer this morning and highest fine was imposed.

regards, four_eggs

Guest skipper

How come your staff's fine so high?

Under the Road Traffic Act:

Section 11(A)(3) Any person who drives a motor vehicle, issued with a licence subject to the restriction referred to in subsection (1), in contravention of such a restriction or any owner of such a motor vehicle who causes or permits his vehicle to be so driven shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be punished with —

(a) a fine not exceeding $5,000; and

(B) in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Guest four_eggs

now all offenders slapped with the highest fine S$20K. LTA officer present in the court said they used to fine 1st time offenders S$5K and 10K but all recent cases' penalty all at S$20K or 3 mths jail for cheating LTA. LTA is very serious on those off-peak cars now. sad story.

allen

How come your staff's fine so high?

Under the Road Traffic Act:

Section 11(A)(3) Any person who drives a motor vehicle, issued with a licence subject to the restriction referred to in subsection (1), in contravention of such a restriction or any owner of such a motor vehicle who causes or permits his vehicle to be so driven shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be punished with —

(a) a fine not exceeding $5,000; and

(B) in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Guest skipper
:o if they add the cheating fine to the non-display of coupon fine then it's easy to see how the fine can go up to $20k. Hmmm..LTA can actually consider all these offences as cheating the government as well, that explains...

Guest jenvid

Your staff is lucky to escape jail term. My brother was not so lucky...

They slapped him with 1 week (1st offence) cuz it so happens his lawyer was a fren of the judge and... count on bad luck and karma....even his lawyer say he darn unlucky.

Guest four_eggs

really? your brother was fine and jailed? actually not worth to take the risk trying to cheat LTA for S$20 and end up paying a heavy penalty. got to warn those guys with off-peak car.

regards, allen

Your staff is lucky to escape jail term. My brother was not so lucky...

They slapped him with 1 week (1st offence) cuz it so happens his lawyer was a fren of the judge and... count on bad luck and karma....even his lawyer say he darn unlucky.