• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

The mystery of the 5 speed automatic

Guest sociex

Guest sociex

I was under the impression that all FL SLK200s come with a 5-speed automatic transmission. However, I have thus far been unable to manually shift up to the 5th gear (shifting up from 4th lands me in "D"). Not sure if a certain speed is required to manually shift to 5th gear, or if I am the not-so-proud owner of the world's only 4-speed SLK??!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewC180

For my W204, when you shift to 'D4', it means that the gear will move up to the 4th gear, which doesn't mean that you are now in the 4th gear (you could be in 3rd or 2nd). So when you shift up, it will shift to 'D' instead of 'D5', which means that the car will use all 5 gears. Dunno if this is the same as in your SLK. Hope info is of help.

Guest angela

hahahaha... dude ALL merc cars with S & C near their gear shift will not show the "final gear" be it "5" or for those with 7g, "7".

u can be sure ur car changes to 5 gear in D, drive until >80kmph in gear 4, if urs is an slk200.

at abt 90km, shift to D, and dun floor the pedal, u will see ur revs drop as ur car switches to top gear.

for car with pedal shift and the S / C / M, in M mode u should be able to see ur final gear...

hahahaha... dude ALL merc cars with S & C near their gear shift will not show the "final gear" be it "5" or for those with 7g, "7".

u can be sure ur car changes to 5 gear in D, drive until >80kmph in gear 4, if urs is an slk200.

at abt 90km, shift to D, and dun floor the pedal, u will see ur revs drop as ur car switches to top gear.

for car with pedal shift and the S / C / M, in M mode u should be able to see ur final gear...

yea as quote by willy, mine with pedal shift shows 5th gear..

Guest Sareve

Hi sociex,

time to upgrade to pedal shift steering ya............(MTL)

cheers

I'd too would like to know if it's possible to retrofit paddle shifters and have them work as they would in a car that came with them. I often find myself attempting the press the non-existant paddles when I wish to change gears.

Hi Sociex / Daniel,

i thought for SLK280, pedal shift is a SOP items?............

Yes you can buy a steering wheel with pedal shift...check Benzline or MBM or C&C...........

* thanks Eric for the explaination (MTL)

cheers

Guest Sareve

Hi Sociex / Daniel,

i thought for SLK280, pedal shift is a SOP items?............

Yes you can buy a steering wheel with pedal shift...check Benzline or MBM or C&C...........

* thanks Eric for the explaination (MTL)

cheers

What's SOP stand for? I know I can buy a steering wheel with paddles, but the question is, will it actually work the way it's intended to just like in a car that actually came with them?

SOP = standard operating procedere (i thought you went army already???)

Pedal shift is an option item for non-sports package so probably have a check with the mechanic before install the best......

cheers..............