• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

ECU Mod from http://www.obd-tuning.com.sg/

Guest sociex

Guest sociex

A chap from OBD tuning has been trying to convince me to get an ECU reflash. Says that he has a remap specifically for the FL SLK200 with promises of 20hp and 30nm, which would translate to 204 hp and 280nm of torque (Golf GTIsh??). Remap also includes adjustment of gear/throttle ratios, all for a "special" price of $900 and a 7 day money back guarantee.

Somehow I remain somewhat skeptical though...any thoughts?

Guest ladyseals80

hm.... a few of our bros here have done ECU reflash and got their ECUs haywired with error codes and stuffs...

so u may wish to think twice about it coz merc ECU is rather sensitive unlike the rest of the makes

bear in mind a ECU replacement can cost about 20k if it is not claimable thru warranty...

Guest sociex

Yeah Dave Naidu, that was his name.

A bit scared after ladyseals' story leh, not exactly itching to fork out 20k for a replacement ECU!! Also, since it's just a ECU reflash, wouldn't it be possible for the tuner to reset everything in the event that something does go wrong?

Would love to hear if any bros/sis out there have had an ECU remap done on their FL SLKs! :)

Guest redhood

Hmm, always curious abt this ECU reflash thing. 20bhp sounds like a lot, but 20k lagi a lot!

I personally will not send my computer to wipe out the hard drive just so that it will go faster without a solid backup. I wonder if it works the same for cars.

Guest Andlee

Merc ECU hyper sensitive man. Don't think you want to touch all the complicated electronics for a claimed 20HP, which might not be true anyway. In my opinion, cost cost far outweigh the 20HP that is claimed. Our ECU are sealed with Silicon. You need to heat it up and pry it open. Too many things can go wrong in my opinion during the process. Components might get short, or worse still burnt. I will not do it.

Supposedly this person said that the ecu does not need to be removed and its actually direct tuning via the obd.

Meaning a laptop will be plugged to the obd and after that, tuning on the dyno.

Guest ladyseals80

Hmm, always curious abt this ECU reflash thing. 20bhp sounds like a lot, but 20k lagi a lot!

I personally will not send my computer to wipe out the hard drive just so that it will go faster without a solid backup. I wonder if it works the same for cars.

20bhp and 20hp is 2 different thing leh....

if can make until 20hp very qiang liao loh!!! lolz...

fyi: Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc.

Guest Sareve

Why bother looking at the horsepower gains instead of the Nm gains? More hp = higher top speed, more Nm = faster acceleration. Only one of these is actually relevant in Sg.

Guest sociex

Why bother looking at the horsepower gains instead of the Nm gains? More hp = higher top speed, more Nm = faster acceleration. Only one of these is actually relevant in Sg.

I'm not sure, but consider that an Audi A5 3.0 TDI with 500 Nm of torque accelerates to 100 in 6.1s, vs say your 599 with "only" 450 Nm that accelerates much, much faster? I dunno, just a thought... ???

Guest Sareve

I'm not sure, but consider that an Audi A5 3.0 TDI with 500 Nm of torque accelerates to 100 in 6.1s, vs say your 599 with "only" 450 Nm that accelerates much, much faster? I dunno, just a thought... ???

Perhaps it's because the Audi is heavier, less aerodynamic and changes gear slower. Surely an SLK must be lighter than both of these cars, thereby allowing to benefit more per Nm of torque. An Ariel Atom only has 210 Nm, but it's blazing fast! Unfortunately, it's low horsepower results in a low top speed of 249km/h. Either way, unless one intends to hop across the border on a fairly regular basis, horsepower is not really an issue. Torque is really what's most important in SG.

i think you'll need a minimum of at least 200hp....no point have a low hp then high nm........(both must compliment each other)

otherwise it will be a weak pull as compared to a ride with a good hp and ok nm....

163hp with 240nm might not beat a ride that is 192hp and 240nm....let's say they are both same 4 cycl.......

weight of the ride plays a big part.............

abit hard to compare i think

cheers

Guest sociex

Go with Kleemann Boost Kit (SLK200) - best best mod................

cheers

(MTL)

How much would a boost kit cost and what kind of performance gains can I expect? Saw 200-210 hp on the Kleemann site but I'm not sure if that's for the FL or pre-FL...slow but surely, I am being poisoned haha

Anyone in particular I should speak to at MBM?

Hi Sociex,

yes you call me to Patrick of MBM 8383 3775

your 184hp and 250nm after the boost kit should be running at 210hp and 300nm......there about....

go for it.........won't go wrong..........................

cheers

Guest sameer

I had my ecu re-mapped from DMS Automotive(Rob, a great guy) about 1.5years ago with no issues at all. car is much more responsive from the minute you step on the throttle. Pais about S$2k for it. Half an hour job. Just plugged in his software and download, thats all. This is for my 2007 SLK200.

Guest sameer

Not sure but yu can contact their agent here, his name is Mao-96899007. Rob from DMS has done tons of Ferraris and Lambos including my Murcielago here in Singapore with no issues at all. They are from DMS AUtomotive.