• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Do Not Speed - A Thought For Your Loved Ones

Guest angela

Guest angela

Do Not Speed - A Thought For Your Loved Ones

i was out one night with a group of drivers who all drive "flashy cars" which are deemed to be "fast and wreckless" without a care and concern for others on the road.

to my surprise. they all told me they didn't speed. when questioned why they asked me if i had watched this video before. yes. i did. months ago. yet i keep forgetting.

the urge to speed is so much tempting. just a flick, a reflex action of ur foot, and you'll be propelled into a zone of intensified intoxication. many of us speed, even if its just 10km over the limit of 90 on the expressways.

we do it without a thought. without care, without consideration for others. we have been given power, a power from a license by the government, a power by a (german/japan/korean/us/italian) car maker, a power that we earned by our hard earned money.

great power comes with great responsibilities. and each time we speed, we misuse, abuse and exploit that power.

i'm not saying don't speed. when u look at an ambulence doing over 120km down the highway, desperately rushing a patient to life saving support in a hospital, its not wrong. when u take every precaution on a track and speed for the glory of an F1 title, its not wrong. accidents happen. whether you like it or not. most of us have been lucky. we have not lost any life and limb to motoring incidents.

at the end of the day. drive safely and if u must, speed safely too. every 10km over the stipulated speed limit decreases ur reaction time significantly. spare a thought for others, especially ur friends and family and the innocent stranger on the road that could have been ur friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyWAwUDA4rw

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest projectsg

Yes, agree. And to add on to Willy's post, from my own perspective.

If you speed and drive recklessly and an accident were to happen to you ONLY; you play with fire, you bear the consequences. But if it were to involve OTHERS around you, you will bear the guilt your entire life; the kind whereby you wont sleep in peace every night, as with the victim's family. So everytime when we are out on the road with or without passengers, let's all drive safe. :3some:

Cheers

Guest Sareve

I don't buy into any of this nonsense. Don't jaywalk that's for sure, but speed doesn't kill people, crappy driving does. It's just a sugar-coated way of saying obey the law. I don't speed because I can get fined or I could lose my license by doing so, that's all there is to it. It's the fool who talks on his handphone while driving or takes his eyes off the road to look at his speedo who kills someone. Usually the people who drive aggresively are the ones who're completely focused on what's infront of them.

I leave you with a quote "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you".

Guest angela

I don't buy into any of this nonsense. Don't jaywalk that's for sure, but speed doesn't kill people, crappy driving does. It's just a sugar-coated way of saying obey the law. I don't speed because I can get fined or I could lose my license by doing so, that's all there is to it. It's the fool who talks on his handphone while driving or takes his eyes off the road to look at his speedo who kills someone. Usually the people who drive aggresively are the ones who're completely focused on what's infront of them.

I leave you with a quote "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you".

nice. i've always admired the way you put some of ur replies.

the quote from jeremy clarkson is good. and yes, its what i believe in too. afterall it was my signature for the first year or so in sgmerc.

lets talk abt what u said, crappy driving is the one that kills people.

a good example is the girl hugging the guy before the car overturns and smashes into them. she's paralysed for life and hes dead. was it their fault? they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. whose fault was it? the guy that over took on an impulse made a mistake. but it was made more severe by the idiot dog who ran across the road. (no, im not trying to start another war abt animals and how intelligent they are so if you're looking for a flame thread go some place else) i'm sorry to say if i was the driver, i would continue on straight. yes. its cruel, but its the lesser evil than what was shown in the video.

then theres the fool of a pedestrian who decides that smsing a hot chick is more important than looking left and right for vehicles before crossing. i dun think i will be willing to spare that school kid a thought. he didn't think after all. and who's gonna cover the insurance and damages to the innocent van driver?

next comes the family that decides again to go speeding ard a blind end, finds out he cant cut in and somehow spins the car into the side of a lamp post. lesson to be learnt. make sure ur brakes stop u in time if u want to speed.

all 3 points that i mentioned, i explain because i've been thru every one of them. yes, i've killed a bird by letting it smash into my vehicle at 200kmph rather than swerve on the NSHW and cause a headliner and take out more than one innocent life. yes, i've been drunk and nearly walked onto the path of my neighbour's on coming 5 series. yes, i've made more than one dangerous overtake or turn in my life and nearly caused an accident which may or may not have put my friends lives at stake due to a lamp post.

all of them were my fault. i dun deny that. but dan, i am a good driver. my parents say so, my friends agree, and even i believe in myself more than any other person. that doesn't mean that i can't crash. that doesn't mean i couldn't have crashed. crappy driving plays a part in causing accidents, but so does speeding. 2 out of 3 of my near misses, so close to those shown in this video, were caused by excessive speed in a speed limited area. i thank my lucky stars that my neighbour didn't speed if not i might not be here today.

i buy into this article so well because it focuses on the aftermath of what happens after a crash. what happened if i had turned the car to miss the bird who flew into my path? how many others would have been affected? what would happen if my neighbour had decided to go a lil faster that night? what would have happened the night mercy, sharman and emmanuel sat in my vehicle during our rekkie and i didn't manage to regain control?

just speaking from experience bro...

Guest Sareve

Haha well Willy, that's why you're alive and accident free :) Cause you're a good driver :thumbsup:

I will admit that no matter how good a driver you are, some other idiot could always hit you while you're driving and cause some massive accidents, especially if you're going fast and the other moron simply doesn't see you. I've had this happen to me multiple times, people U-turn without even bothering to look, people just change lanes without signalling or looking, lucky I was focused on the road and managed to take quick evasive action.

To say that speed kills is simply inaccurate, I think that driving beyond one's ability is a far more accurate statement. Warning adverts will never send this message for obvious reasons. Especially since 80% of all drivers think they are above average drivers :D The bottom line is that lousy driving kills but is often unpunished because the lousy drivers generally don't go beyond the speed limit but conduct all their nerfarious activities while continuing to stick to it. Oh and buy better brakes:)

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate speeding on public roads, I think it's plain stupid, but there are alot more people who change lanes without signalling, road hog, brake for no good reason etc. There should be more ads telling people to OBEY and RESPECT the laws set in place to govern commuters driving on PUBLIC ROADS and also more ads encouraging people to be COURTEOUS.

• 1 month later...
Guest tomasulu

speed kills when you are driving at a speed beyond what you, your vehicle and/or the road can handle. which is safer, driving 150kmh on the autobahn or doing 30kmh on lombard street?

the problem i have with LTA/the traffic police is that they adopt a simplistic but fervent speed-kills mantra and implement brain-dead ideas which slow down drivers while greatly increase the chances of accidents happening. you know what i was referring to -- speed cameras (right after sheares bridge on a downslope??), crazy bends on expressways, extreme speed limit on trucks/goods vehicles, etc.

the problem i have with LTA/the traffic police is that they adopt a simplistic but fervent speed-kills mantra and implement brain-dead ideas which slow down drivers while greatly increase the chances of accidents happening. you know what i was referring to -- speed cameras (right after sheares bridge on a downslope??), crazy bends on expressways, extreme speed limit on trucks/goods vehicles, etc.

true. i've always wondered how do they do their planning by placing speed cams at their current location.. lets throw out a list of examples.

AYE / ECP, at the shears bridge. facing the direction heading up the bridge. erm? 80kmph there is kinda dumb, u require a vehicle travelling at 90kmph speed limit to slow down JUST BEFORE AN UP SLOPE? wow. no wonder our petrol prices keep sky rocketing.

PIE just before bukit timah exit, after a long straight, just before a moderately light turn, a speed cam? wow. im sure only an idiot will get caught. long straight to blast down all the way after stevens until a corner is devoid of any speed traps what so ever.

another good example is the 70km limit on adam road heading south bound just before the famous hide at the side but speed cam in the centre trick used by those mobile speed cam men. got 4 or 5 lanes to use but limit is 70kmph just before a bridge?

the list goes on...

LTA should air videos like this one

I totally agree with the message sent, texting while driving is just a plain retarded idea.

mercedes benz ligatronic is just a 5 digit sum away.

i think u can use it to type out ur sms while u keep ur eyes on the road ahead...