• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

DIY project W204 boot soundproofing

Guest Cerano

Guest Cerano

hi bros

i have completed a DIY project of soundproofing the spare tyre well of our w204. As you can see stock comes without any padding or foam. Its very noisy. I have added an asphalt rubber coating layer and a soundproofing mat layer (like dynamat)

will upload pics later.

Guest angela

for a moment i thought u said "soundproofing the SPARE TYRE"...

like stuffing sound proofing material inside the tyre.. which may or may not produce lesser road noise... i dunno... never tired b4...

Guest Cerano

for a moment i thought u said "soundproofing the SPARE TYRE"...

like stuffing sound proofing material inside the tyre.. which may or may not produce lesser road noise... i dunno... never tired b4...

Nah

the tyre well. In the E-Class theres foam and all. Ours dont have anything.

Guest xtrem

My suggestion, keep the spare wheel at home as what i have done. No worry about the sound, our car come with a very good audio unit liao. Let the car breath smoothly without the additional weight of the spare wheel.

Guest Cerano

My suggestion, keep the spare wheel at home as what i have done. No worry about the sound, our car come with a very good audio unit liao. Let the car breath smoothly without the additional weight of the spare wheel.

No spare wheel in place.

Just soundproofing the area to reduce passenger noise levels

Guest tategoi

Picture please. I am interested to DIY as well. Currently I only pasted a few sheets of Accumat to damp the vibration, but I guess I will need to cover the whole exposed metal.

Guest Cerano

Tested

DIY project passed :thumbsup:

Passenger sound level reduced visibly.

Only noise is wind noise. Will update. Mat is firmly adhered to the asphalt undercoat

Guest heavenknows

Tested

DIY project passed :thumbsup:

Passenger sound level reduced visibly.

Only noise is wind noise. Will update. Mat is firmly adhered to the asphalt undercoat

Good job, Cerano!! :clap: :thumbsup:

I'm keen to do the same but never ventured into soundproofing before.

Can share what materials you bought? where you bought the materials, how much to buy and the damage? Err.. yah. Really have no idea. ???

Guest Cerano

Asphalt undercoating 2x can around $20 SGD

can get from autobacs

Soundproofing material comes with adhesive. i got it for 50 ringgit from JB

cut it to shape and use hairdryer to melt the adhesive.

and used activated charcoal pack to eliminate the odour.

Cheap and good