• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Driving across the border...

Guest stealth123

Guest stealth123

hi folks,

just wanted to check if any of you have every driven your SLK across the causeway (just a single car - not in a convoy).

Do you feel that you attract unnecessary attention? Dangerous?

Guest ACSLK

Hi stealth123,

driving up also depend on luck............you can be riding your BMX.....no difference....so go in a group to be safer.......or take bus............

happy crossing.......

cheers

Guest ehwwong

hi folks,

just wanted to check if any of you have every driven your SLK across the causeway (just a single car - not in a convoy).

its better to travel in convoy trips..

Guest kepiting1sg

hi folks,

its better to travel in convoy trips..

IMHO,

Stay away from Johore Bahru - going further up is safer!

Still has to be careful - always be away of your surroundings.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sameer

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and would like to say Hello to all of you'll.

I drive up pretty often in my SLK200 but I dont stop, I drive straight to my office. I drive up once a month.

Guest redhood

Hi Guys,

I drive up pretty often in my SLK200 but I dont stop, I drive straight to my office. I drive up once a month.

welcome to this forum, Sameer! Vv brave of u to drive up alone. Must b damn enjoyable zipping all the way!

Guest stealth123

Hi Guys,

hey sameer... welcome welcome!

i have driven about 10 times to JB during the last 2 years. Either alone or with someone else. A couple of things I'll do. 1. Go in during the day. 2. Definitely come back by 7pm. 3. Plan where you want to go; do what you need to do and come back. 4. Always lock your doors. 5. I don't pump petrol unless I have to. 6. Go only to certain places; those that are hot spots for rime, you should avoid, unless you have to. 7. when i park in basement carparks, i would usually pick the lots either nearest to the security office, or where i am familar with. 8. I always pay attention if anyone is following my car.

typical place I go to: Giant Plentong, Holiday Plaza, City Square (2 times only), Jusco.

I think luck plays a part but if you stay alert, you should be alright.

Guest stealth123

wow - a comment that caught my eye is that it is even dangerous to pump petrol in Johor... does this also apply to the stations just before the Malaysian immigration? Thought that there are loads of SG cars there .. and there usually a lot of human traffic around.

Guest sameer

Hi Guys,

welcome to this forum, Sameer! Vv brave of u to drive up alone. Must b damn enjoyable zipping all the way!

Thanks. I usually dont stop accept for the last gas station on the way back to Singapore. I usually cruise at around 180-200km/hr and go very early. Even in KL I park in fron of the hotel and i dont drive around, my sales people drive me around.

Guest SgLaKsa

I just went in again on Saturday and that was my 2nd time alone (single SLK). I went pass Gelang Patah to Pekan Nanas. I know that its was a stupid thing to do. There was a 'Highway Bang your car from behind' cum 'Robbery' cum 'Using parang to chop the guys legs' cum 'Gang Raping his girlfriend in front of him' case which happened in 2007 at Gelang Patah.

I just went in again on Saturday and that was my 2nd time alone (single SLK). I went pass Gelang Patah to Pekan Nanas. I know that its was a stupid thing to do. There was a 'Highway Bang your car from behind' cum 'Robbery' cum 'Using parang to chop the guys legs' cum 'Gang Raping his girlfriend in front of him' case which happened in 2007 at Gelang Patah.

ben, ben, ben.......

Guest stealth123

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

*shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked*

REALLY????????? GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ON EARTH??!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Cause the poor soul was driving a singaporean car???

Guest SgLaKsa

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

*shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked* *shocked*

REALLY????????? GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ON EARTH??!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Cause the poor soul was driving a singaporean car???

Shocked and Surprised??? This kinda Robberies cum Gang Rapes cum Parang Assaults cases happen everywhere in Malaysia. The poor couple are Malaysians driving Malaysia registered car, Proton Iswara. See link http://scottthong.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/car-ramming-gang-rapist-sketch-and-update/

Guest Cklasse

My colleague's wife has her handbag snatched right in petrol kiosk while they were standing around waiting for their car to be washed. So when in JB, open your eyes wider and be aware of surrounding such as people staring, bike with people loitering.....

JB is more dangerous than any part of Malaysia. I wouldn't go in with SLK alone anytime at all. Heard the gun shot incident years back happened at the busy petrol station near custom even. :surrender:

JB is more dangerous than any part of Malaysia. I wouldn't go in with SLK alone anytime at all. Heard the gun shot incident years back happened at the busy petrol station near custom even. :surrender:

i think that case happened in the nite.

i thought i should also add another point about driving in JB. LOOK OUT FOR THE POLICE!!

My friend told me stories about police wanting to stop singapore cars for "kopi money". i always did not believe until one occasion, just before hari raya, when i went in. There were plenty of police cars (especially around Jusco) stopping all the singapore cars.. my friend, being the experience one, asked me to detour immediately, and avoided 1 group; just at the exit to the highway, there were another 2 more flaggin all the singapore cars. my friend wittingly asked me to keep to the right lane, so that there is no way i can stop, and drive quickly away.

so the lessons for the day is: 1. don't travel especially during holiday season, they know there are lots of singaporeans going to JB. 2. always try to travel on the center or right lane, so that there is no way u can stop; plus, avoid the police if possible.

my personal experience was that right after that trip, i made another trip to JB alone a couple of days later and guess wat, i kenna stopped on an exit lane of a highway! it was a 1 way lane, so cannot avoid. i asked for them to fine me instead.. they gave a lot of excuses and then asked for $$ for settle it quick.. so u see, there are a lot of "pitholes" when travelling in JB.